Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 AM

10 posts, read 14,216 times

Advertisements

Many relocation posts here but they all seem to be tailored to the asker's unique criteria so hope no one minds if I ask my own.

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Colorado from the East Coast, he lived in Colorado Springs for 10 years and loved it, so he's familiar with that area of course but doesn't know much about Denver area and surrounding communities.

I work in IS/IT for a pharmaceutical company and would like similar employment. It doesn't necessarily need to be in pharma, but need a big company for my line of work and desired income, etc. So for that I'm thinking Denver area (or at least within commuting distance) is necessary. I have a 45-60 min commute now so don't mind a reasonable commute. Husband is an RN so can work anywhere, plus is close to retirement anyway so job is not as important for him.

We're in our 40s/50s and don't have kids so school disctrict is not an issue, however quality of the area/neighborhood and low crime are both extremely important to us. We prefer upscale type neighborhoods, suburbs are probably preferable to either city living or rural. That said we do like neighborhoods with character and things to do - farm markets, concerts, festivals, etc.

We're moderately liberal and not really religious - so but I don't think I would do well in an extremely conservative town. We mainly keep to ourselves but are nice people and would like a place where we can make some new like-minded friends.

The main reason we want to reolcate to Colorado is outdoor activiites and better weather. I hate brutal East Coast humidity in summer and depressing cloudy gloominess in winter. I don't particularly like winter at all, but its the gray days I really hate. I konw we could pick a warmer climate for winter, but I think as long as the sun is out I'll be happy. I know summer can be warm, but that's OK. I love mountain/desert climates where summer days turn cool at night.

Outdoor activities like hiking (we don't do anything too extreme) and important to us. I realize Colorado is by no means lush, but an area that has at least some trees or some sort of topographic interest would be preferable to wide open prarie. I like to hike in the woods - is that possible in Colorado, even if it means a drive into the mountains?

Any suggestions on areas to look would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I guess 1st question is can you telecommute to your current job?
Live in Colorado, "Work" where you do now?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM

129 posts, read 250,151 times
The first town that comes to mind to me is Fort Collins. Just don't live too close to the University.

Edit: The job is going to be the big kicker. Very difficult to pick a town and then find the job. You need the job first!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Also consider the Denver metro area. So much to choose from that one should rent a year to learn it all, but rents are going up and supply of rentals is declining now.

I'd look for areas near the light rail lines, and some new lines are opening soon.

Fair amount of tech and nursing in DMA with @3M people total. Lots of tech in the Denver Tech Center, about ten miles south of main downtown area. Other posters in the Denver forum say that tech jobs are hiring now, but YMMV depending on specialty, etc.

I'm flat out SURE that there are several areas here you'd like. More moderate to liberal areas are closer-in, more conservative areas, IIRC, are places like Douglas County.

Lots of info in thousands of existing threads, use our search tool with specific key words to dig it out fast.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Thanks all for the replies.

To flyonpa, I just found out I'm being laid off (hence the reason to make the move now) so telecommuting is not an option.

Mike from back east, I'm open to Denver metro area I guess, but not sure what that is like - does this include suburb type areas? I'm not a city dweller.

Have spent a fair amount of time in Co Springs but Denver area is unknown to me.

I will definitely check out the other threads too.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
You'll find many, many, many choices here that fit your criteria. Best to get a job first and then look in that area. One of the best things about living in CO is the time you can spend outdoors during the week and setting yourself up for a long commute takes that away. Once you find a job look for something within walking or biking distance. You will be thrilled with the difference in lifestyle.

Loads of good hiking, really close in (30-45 min drive), so no worries there.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM

Default Denver IT job question

Looking to relocate to CO (Denver-COS corridior) and seeking opinions on ease of finding a job for my skill set.

I have 15+ years experience with large pharmaceutical company in IS/IT field - mainly Business Relationship Management / Business Analysis / Project Management / Service Management qualifications. Education inclues BA in Information Technology and MBA.

So I am an IS person in a non-IS company, and I'm really good at what I do, but I'm not a software developer or a network engineer, both of which seem to be abundant in Denver.

I am slightly concerned if I will struggle to find a job against this competition? We don't have many true tech companies (the HPs/Dells and the like) where I live, so I'm well qualified here... but maybe I'm not in CO? I don't need to work at a tech company, IS dept in a non-tech company is fine with me.

I currently make over 100k year and want to know what are my prospects to find something similar? Salary doesn't have to be exactly the same but I don't want to take a major pay cut.

And to clarify, I'm not intending to be snobbish about the salary, it's just that the COL (esp. houses) doesn't seem to be much lower than here (our present townhouse was 350k, granted it is very nice) so I would want to be able to afford to live there. :-)

Last edited by wendellg85; 03-19-2013 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM

403 posts, read 759,631 times
From what you are saying you would like, I think that the towns of Evergreen or Conifer would be an area to consider. These towns are located west of Denver in the foothills so there are plenty of trees (mostly aspen, Ponderosa and lodgepole pine) and the scenery is gorgeous...views of snowcaps and mountains.

I know plenty of RN's who don't mind the commute down to the hospitals because the 12 hour shifts they work aren't dealing with traveling during rush hours. There are some hospitals that are closer than others. The newer St. Anthony's Hospital and Swedish Medical Center are two of the closest. Good estimate would be 30-40 minutes to both of those hospitals.

The Denver metro area is pretty flat with a view of the mountains. Evergreen and Conifer are in the foothills and have great accessibility to Denver.

Another plus to living in these towns is that you don't need A/C in the summer. I moved from the east coast and have missed having A/C on a handful of days since moving here 4.5 years ago. Windows open = perfect sleeping weather! (and great hair days too)

There is very low crime in these towns and Evergreen has two different farmer's markets during the summer months, a summer concert series at Evergreen Lake and great hiking, biking, walking trails. Good luck with your search!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellg85 View Post
Thanks all for the replies.

Mike from back east, I'm open to Denver metro area I guess, but not sure what that is like - does this include suburb type areas? I'm not a city dweller.

Have spent a fair amount of time in Co Springs but Denver area is unknown to me.

I will definitely check out the other threads too.
"Denver metro area" includes the city of Denver and the many, many suburbs surrounding it. I suggest that you look at a map so you can familiarize yourself with areas that are discussed on this forum.

One thing you will find about Denver is that even the city itself is spread out and parts of "Denver" itself feel suburban. And there is no separation between Denver and the many suburbs surrounding it.

You will be able to find what you are looking for as far as neighborhoods quite easily; it's the job that will be tough. That's why you'll see the recurring theme here -- find work first, then a place to live.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Find the job first. Moving in this economy without a job lined up is a recipe for disaster. Companies don't dare cut wages on current employees, but new openings will have severely reduced wages and enormous hikes in the qualifications required. If you find something, most of the front range is wonderful. Denver has tons of opportunities with 3.5 million people residing there, but you still need to find the job first.

No one ever wants to take a pay cut, but I've met more people than I could count that wanted to change jobs but couldn't find any place that would throw cash at them the way their current job did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado