Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2006, 10:23 AM

297 posts, read 896,508 times

Advertisements

Howdy. We are planning for my wife to spend some time in Colorado this January or February as we are considering it for possible retirement relocations. We are considering the Ft. Collins and the Colorado Springs areas ... specifically more rural areas west or "up" from those cities ... Lyons, Woodland Park, etc. Neither of us have been in the areas in a looong time, and never in the winter. This trip is to get a quick look and feel for the winter. We would appreciate any advice and/or thoughts on:

1) the actual time of year ... Jan or Feb?

2) how far west (or what altitude) of the front range should/can a "novice" drive?

3) can she expect to find mid-priced motels/hotels without reservations?

4) moving around/through Denver, are there areas to be avoided, thinking trafic mainly?

other thoughts?

Thanks in advance ... y'all have a good weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 08:58 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,734 times
Hey there-

1) Either month you will get a taste for our winter. Some say that Feb- March is when we get the majority of our snow. It is a toss up though.

2) I think you would be fine in the snow w/ driving. They are pretty good about clearing up the streets here. It is not like it snows so much that you can't drive at all. You would get the hang of it anyway.

3) I don't think you would have any trouble finding a hotel when you come. If you were coming over the holidays or up to the ski resorts then you might have trouble.

4) Denver is a nightmare in rush hour traffic. I would do my best to avoid it during those times!

5) What kinda community are you looking for? Is there any hobbies that you like that you are hoping to continue or try?

Bashep

Old 10-15-2006, 09:30 PM

297 posts, read 896,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashep View Post
Hey there-

1) Either month you will get a taste for our winter. Some say that Feb- March is when we get the majority of our snow. It is a toss up though.

2) I think you would be fine in the snow w/ driving. They are pretty good about clearing up the streets here. It is not like it snows so much that you can't drive at all. You would get the hang of it anyway.

3) I don't think you would have any trouble finding a hotel when you come. If you were coming over the holidays or up to the ski resorts then you might have trouble.

4) Denver is a nightmare in rush hour traffic. I would do my best to avoid it during those times!

5) What kinda community are you looking for? Is there any hobbies that you like that you are hoping to continue or try?

Bashep
Bashep ... Howdy. Thanks for the info/thoughts. I have some physical limitations ... arthritis, joint replacement etc., but I'm fighting/ignoring it as much as possible. We want to hike, as I can, the spousal unit is a south Texas redheaded redneck, and tough as nails ... so I'm the limitation however, I will have to point out that she is older than I am

We will drive/four wheel, not detrimentally and explore new places. Hike as possible, go where people fish .... and watch them fish. Essentially, get out in the woods/widerness, within the old fart limitations.

We currently live off-grid and will when we move. We enjoy rural lifestyles but also enjoy a bookstore, coffee shop, etc. ... the wife just added "eating-out" ... I think I'm supposed to lose weight!

We are considering the areas west and south of Ft. Collins, west of Colorado Springs ... Manitou Springs up to Woodland Park (and possibly further west and south ... Fremont County and Teller County have some less expensive land but may be a bit remote?), and the Durango to Pagosa Springs area.

Again, thanks for the response, and any futher info you or others might have ... y"all take care.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Aggie
The Durango/Pagosa Springs area is absolutely gorgeous, but definitely discovered.
In Fremont county, we went through Florence, of all places (it's where the Supermax prison is) and thought it was really nice! The Arkansas River kind of greens things up down there.
The Alamosa/Huerfano area, around the Great Sand Dunes (an awesome place!), is a region where you could maybe manage to get off the grid, there are already a few New Agey types down around Westcliffe. But in terms of bookstores/coffee shops, it might be lacking.
Sometimes there are water issues, as well. Are you talking off the grid as in No Electricity, or just no neighbors within a mile or so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado