Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,446 times

Advertisements

I am an experienced nurse from fort worth texas looking to move to colorado. I'm not familiar with the area and am needing help trying to find a city to move to. Heres what I'm looking for..... I want a cute little country house on at least an acre or 2 with a nice view of the mountains. I want to be able to sit on my porch drinking coffee and looking at the mountains. I am going to apply for an ICU nurse position at the big hospital in denver but if any has any cities not close to denver then I can definitely try other hospitals. Any tips, info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 01:48 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
You'll have to avoid the big cities to get 2 acres with views of the mountains.

Canon City, Salida, and Durango come to mind, but the prices here may be a problem.

There are some exurbs of COLO SPGS that have some acreage and a distant view, but you'll need to tell us your budget for housing to get more viable answers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:53 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Colorado Springs has at least two major hospitals too and is closer to the mountains so it's easier and more affordable to find a place with a view of them. What kind of mountan views are you talking about... something like this? Or more like this? Because if it's the latter, you will need those sacks of money AND a heavy snow suit to enjoy your coffee on the patio most of the year.

If you're ok with the former it can be had for a reasonable price, especially outside of Denver. You'll still want a glassed-in porch, or perhaps a nice bay window, to sip your coffee from for most of the year. Two-acres of property isn't undoable but it won't be cheap, especially compared to most of TX.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,446 times
Me and my fiance have about $300,000 to budget for the house of our dreams give or take. I have 5 years of ICU/Trauma exerience at a county teaching hospital here in Fort Worth. I've been reading a lot of post that it is difficult to get a job in Colorado. Is that still the case? Will it be a little easier for an experienced nurse? Is our budget good enough to get what I'm looking for?

As far as the view that I had in mind...I would say the first one. I know that land and housing is more expensive than in Texas. It doesn't have to be anything over the top, just want a place to call home and appreciate everything colorado has. In Texas, I own 16 acres and live in an old country house. not perfect but its mine. Like I said....I'm not incredible vain on the appearance of the town or even the house, just want a place with a nice view to raise a family one day. Both of my parents just passed away and it has shown me that I need to live life to the fullest because tomorrow might not come. This probably sounds corny but I've always dreamed of living in colorado and feel like this is my chance.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:00 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
Occasionally something like this will come up in Broomfield. Mountain views always depends on the lot.
15448 Navajo St, Broomfield, CO 80023 - Zillow

Brighton or north Thornton in the rural areas also has properties. This one is on a busy road.
16150 Highway 7 # 7, Brighton, CO 80602 - Zillow

This one is closest to what you asked for, mountain views, $265K and a couple of acres.
13561 Yosemite St, Brighton, CO 80602 - Zillow

Properties like this are all over Brighton.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:49 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
It's hard to get a job anywhere unless your skills match a present need. It sounds like your might, but I'm not in the med field. Why don't you start looking for some appropriate positions in Denver, Co Springs and Pueblo areas. If you want to be on the western slope, try Durango, Montrose and Grand Junction. If you want to be in between, try Salida & Buena Vista. Avoid ski towns and downtowns to save money. Once you've narrowed it down to some region, we'll be able to help more.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:21 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink With a view

I can't speak specifically to nursing or your job prospects with same in Colorado, if believing such a move possible with determination.

As far as views and location are concerned, you made the far simpler choice in choosing picture number one. Most of the Front Range—where also the majority of employment happens to be—offers such panoramic views of the Rocky Mountains. Denver is slightly removed from the mountains, Pueblo really is, but good views of them are easily afforded. For relatively inexpensive acreage and expansive views, look to the east of I-25. This might entail a bit of a commute into the city, depending, but particularly in cost the most practical solution.

Only do choose a location with an eye towards its possible eventual development, or your once great view may in time become abbreviated. In Weld County, just east of Fort Collins, in example, farmland and homesteads on acreage are being gobbled up piecemeal by suburban developments (and in cases the new homes about ten feet apart in separation). With that in mind perhaps settle on top of a hill, and ideally with more than just a few acres. If nothing else, one might be sitting on some all the more valuable property in time.

Unless, that is, this state's economy implodes, then all bets are off. If and when that comes from different reasons, nevertheless think repeal of the Sherman Silver Purchase Act in 1893 (enacted on July 14, 1890) and the long reaching implications in Colorado.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandace168 View Post
... I want a cute little country house on at least an acre or 2 with a nice view of the mountains. I want to be able to sit on my porch drinking coffee and looking at the mountains. I am going to apply for an ICU nurse position at the big hospital in Denver but if any has any cities not close to Denver then I can definitely try other hospitals. Any tips, info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
By all means.. apply here: Medical Center of the Rockies

With your desires, I would avoid Denver and a commute.

You can fetch a nice little place on acreage a few minutes from work to the south off hwy 402 or 60 (between I-25 and 287). I have several friends living in such cute little homes on small acreage. (Address will be Loveland or Berthoud)

Get land with water rights or a well if possible. One of my friends bought a large farm and rents the extra houses and barn space out and enjoys the best of the houses on the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado