Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 13,346 times

Advertisements

This has been slightly touched upon in other threads, but not exactly...We are moving to CO from TX, no income tax, we're not sure how long we'll be here, maybe just a year. My husband will not be employed here, he has just started a company in TX and it's registered in TX and his partners are TX residents. We are leasing home. Does anyone know when we absolutely have to become residents? The site is not completely clear, it talks about 90 days and a job in CO, but it also kind of made it seem like they wanted to make sure people had to definitely be here and show they are staying before 'getting" to become a resident, for in-state tuition, hunting licenses, etc.

We have just moved to CO, we are leasing a house but my husband is not employed here. He actually is not getting a salary anywhere because he is starting a company but right now it is registered in TX and his partners are TX residents. Do we still have to change our residency in the 90 day period? We don't know how long we'll stay, it may only be a year.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-01-2014 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
If you are "domiciled" in Colorado--that is, Colorado is where you intend to make your home, then you are a Colorado resident and subject to Colorado taxes. If you work and earn income in another state that has its own income tax, you may be able (and may be required) to file an income tax return there and pay income taxes on that income in that state--you can then claim an income credit on your Colorado state income tax return for the portion of income for which you paid taxes in the other state. However, if you earn the income in a state that does not have an income tax, you will have to pay Colorado income tax on that income, even though you did not earn it in Colorado. Regardless of where you live, if you earn your income in Colorado, you will have to pay Colorado income tax on the income earned in Colorado.

When I lived in Wyoming (which has no income tax), I had some co-workers who worked in Wyoming, but lived in Colorado. They had to pay Colorado income tax on all their Wyoming earnings. Conversely, I knew people who lived in Wyoming, but worked in Colorado. They had to pay Colorado income tax on their Colorado earnings.

In your circumstances, you MAY be able to retain Texas residency if you can show that you are only living in Colorado temporarily (usually considered a few months or less) and Colorado is not your domicile. That said, you will still have to pay Colorado income tax on any of your earnings that you make in Colorado, and you MAY have to register your vehicle in Colorado if you work here for more than, I believe, 90 days.

Texas and Colorado are essentially polar opposite in the taxation philosophy. Texas has no state income tax, low business taxes, extremely low vehicle registration fees, but very high property taxes. Colorado has very low residential property taxes, but relatively high business property taxes on real and personal property, relatively high vehicle registration fees, a moderate income tax, but relatively high total sales tax rates. Essentially, Texas is a fairly tax-friendly place for people who work for a living and for business; Colorado is most tax-friendly to non-productive retirees earning passive income who live in fancy McMansions.

Wyoming is about the lowest tax burden state in the Rocky Mountain West (and most of the US) for individuals because the minerals industry pays about 75% of the state and local tax revenue in the state. Wyoming has low property taxes, no state income tax, and a moderate sales tax. About the only high tax in Wyoming is vehicle registration fees--they are about what Colorado's are, which is not cheap.

Last edited by jazzlover; 08-01-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 11:11 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksneblett View Post
This has been slightly touched upon in other threads, but not exactly...We are moving to CO from TX, no income tax, we're not sure how long we'll be here, maybe just a year. My husband will not be employed here, he has just started a company in TX and it's registered in TX and his partners are TX residents. We are leasing home. Does anyone know when we absolutely have to become residents? The site is not completely clear, it talks about 90 days and a job in CO, but it also kind of made it seem like they wanted to make sure people had to definitely be here and show they are staying before 'getting" to become a resident, for in-state tuition, hunting licenses, etc.

We have just moved to CO, we are leasing a house but my husband is not employed here. He actually is not getting a salary anywhere because he is starting a company but right now it is registered in TX and his partners are TX residents. Do we still have to change our residency in the 90 day period? We don't know how long we'll stay, it may only be a year.

Thanks!
I think the guidelines (Own or operate a business in CO, gainfully employed in CO, or living in CO for 90 days) are when you'd be eligible to become a resident if you want to become a resident. I don't think it is a requirement. If I were you, I would contact the state and or a lawyer that knows this stuff.

Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:New Residents

Old 08-02-2014, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 13,346 times
Thank ya'll so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado