Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

I stumbled on this article via Facebook. An interesting read.
New Castle's Coal Legacy Smolders Under Burning Mountain | KUNC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 09:10 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Interesting stuff, didn't know we had any of that here. Back east, the granddaddy of such underground coal mine fires is in Centralia, PA. For pix of that area click here, what a mess.

The extractive industries sure leave a toxic legacy.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
There is coal burning underground on the Marshall Mesa east of Boulder as well.
https://bouldercolorado.gov/pages/coal-seam-qr

I went there once on a field trip with my daughter's 3rd grade class. We could see smoke wafting up from underground.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:49 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times
In 2008, a boy burned his feet on a smoldering coal dust fire in a Colorado Springs park>>
Coal dust burns boy walking in park
At the time, I thought this was the strangest thing I had ever heard of. Really random, and sad for the boy.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:23 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
... The extractive industries sure leave a toxic legacy.
Most underground coal fires have nothing to do with extractive industries. I live in the Powder River Basin in Wyoming, where roughly 40% of the nation's coal is currently mined. Coal mines here are relatively new, but underground coal fires are anything but new. The Powder River Basin got its name from the coal ash in the air when early explorers visited the area.

I've heard stories about how teens, a century argo, used to grab a few steaks and head out to the prairie where they could grill them over cracks in the soil. And how even now, ranchers and their livestock will stay away from certain areas where smoke still comes from the ground.

The CCC extinguished many underground coal fires in NE Wyoming during the 30s, but some were just too deep and too big to extinguish. Lightening storms still start them every summer, although most are put out by ranchers and the county fire department.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 08-09-2014 at 10:40 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 05:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The extractive industries sure leave a toxic legacy.
That fire was started by the locals burning garbage in an old stripping pit they were using a for a landfill.

FYI it's not really the coal burning but the gases.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:26 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Corrective action

'And the ones [coal mine fires] that are not an imminent danger are nonetheless concerning for environmental regulators who say the piles and mines have the potential to leach toxins into soil and groundwater, and contribute unnecessary carbon dioxide to the world’s already overburdened atmosphere when they catch fire.' [1]

One doesn't' have to live in Centralia, Pennsylvania to be concerned about this. There is a coal mine fire near the Pittsburgh International Airport that the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection will be spending some $1,400,000 to put out. If others still burning, this one underground fire of several years is thought to possibly threaten an underground gas pipeline, as well the smoke thereof interfere with airport operations.

According to John Poister of the PDEP of these coal mine fires, "eventually we're going to have to put them all out."

Centralia, PA residents once thought it a fine idea to dump their trash down an abandoned coal mine shaft. However a fire started somehow, with all the trash helping to ignite a coal seam of several hundred acres. With then poisonous coal gases seeping into the basements of several homes, the eventual outcome was the US government agreeing to offer buyouts to the town's residents in the 1980s. Only a few residents remain in Centralia. There is surely a moral in that.

Or that rather than promoting their human-induced coal mine fire, the residents of New Castle, CO might put it out. Apparently such things are possible—and warranted.

1) 'Pennsylvania puts $1.4m towards extinguishing years-old mine fire,' The Guardian
Pennsylvania puts $1.4m towards extinguishing years-old mine fire | Environment | theguardian.com

Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Coal seam fires can be very difficult to sometimes nearly impossible to extinguish. Contrary to popular belief, many coal seam fires start naturally. With just the right oxygen mix, coal can very easily spontaneously combust. That can occur when a coal seam gets naturally partially exposed to the atmosphere.

Another misconception is that coalbed methane drilling always increases methane releases to the atmosphere. That isn't always true, either. Often, shallow coal seams naturally emit copious amounts of methane to the atmosphere. In fact, some coalbed methane production technologies are designed to "divert" dispersed methane leakage to the atmosphere to wells, where the methane can be captured, then used. That can put the methane to productive use--methane that would otherwise escape uselessly into the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, people on both sides of the methane/CO2/global warming issue tend to paint things in black and white, when the truth is anything but that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado