Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:49 PM

15 posts, read 23,867 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Colorado, no Job needed, I Just want as must nature as I can get and peace and quiet. Will be renting and will need good school for my Son. I've been thinking about Rio Grande County any suggestions would be appreciated. I was Raised in New England so I know all about Snow...LOL

Old 10-08-2014, 12:48 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Rio Grande County certainly has plenty of nature. Don't know how good its decidely rural school system would be. In my experience, education in rural Colorado tends to be lacking. For good schools, you'd be best off on the Front Range. For "nature" anywhere except the Front Range. Life in Del Norte or South Fork is going to be very different from life in New England. There's more to rural Colorado than just snow. Prepare yourself to live a very isolated existance if you choose Rio Grande County and it wouldn't hurt to pick up a little Spanish and develop a fondness for potatoes, the region's chief crop. I think a better choice would be Alamosa - still plenty of nature but better education and a bit of culture due to the presence of Adams State College. If you really adore living in a remote and isolated place with plenty of nature, I suggest Montezuma County where I currently live. Mancos and Dolores are both nice small towns here and Cortez is an interesting intersection of the desert and the San Juan Mountains. Prepare to homeschool your kid, though. The schools around here suck.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:38 AM

481 posts, read 1,301,112 times
^Good points on Rio Grande County. It's a place I'm familiar with having lived in Del Norte, worked in South Fork and still have family in those areas.

No lack of nature in that area, it's easily one of the best in the state for that. Be prepared for very cold winters (I'm talking -30 degrees at times and below zero on a regular basis in the winter). Depending on where you are looking in Rio Grande County will determine the quality of schools. There are none in South Fork, kids go to Del Norte. Monte Vista has normally had a better school system than Del Norte but the district that is considered one of the best in the region is a rural district north of Monte Vista called Sargents. Mostly farm kids but excellent programs. If you are looking at Center (which is split between Rio Grande and Saguache Counties) Spanish will be a good thing to learn.

If your heart is set on Rio Grande County I would hands-down recommend Monte Vista. It's bigger (but still small) has better schools and is closer to your main shopping center in Alamosa. It also has more shopping options within the town itself. And it's a pretty little town!

Last edited by Littlekw; 10-08-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 10-08-2014, 10:39 AM

463 posts, read 320,954 times
Littlekw wasn't kidding, he/she really knows this area. Everything said is spot on!

I live in the Monte Vista area, and even though I don't have kids here I keep hearing good things about the Sargents school district. You really do have to like the weather in the San Luis Valley (definitely do your homework on that one by searching here on city-data), and you have to make sure that living at 7700 ft. agrees with you and your son. Visit before deciding.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:21 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
^^^

Yeah, plus the decidely arid vegetation. I don't know how many complaints from newbies get posted on this board from folks who don't appreciate greasewood and rabbitbrush. Things green up a bit the further west you go and the higher the elevation, but it's still decidely dry and far less green than what folks from east of the Mississippi are used to. Also, keep in mind that you will be in the San Luis VALLEY, you won't be in the mountains that most people think of when they think of Colorado. Agree that Monte Vista is a nice little town - to visit. I wouldn't want to live there, and I'm one of the biggest fans of remoteness and wide open spaces around. Another town I'd suggest is Pagosa Springs, just over Wolf Creek Pass from South Fork. There's plenty of nature, plus you would be more in the mountains. But really, you need to give us more of your criterea than just "nature" and good schools. How much can you afford to rent a place? What sorts of activities do you like? Do you need to be close to a decent airport? etc., ect.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:19 PM

15 posts, read 23,867 times
Wow Thank You for all the info. My Gardens are a must even if I have to slowly learn what I can plant that wont get ate by the wonderful wild life. A wonderful point was I do want to be in the mountains where its green not Brown So thank you for the great info. I am disabled and I understand there are a lot of wonderful Home programs in Colorado which I have looked into. I Love Camping Fishing and Hunting or just hiking through the forests and finding treasures. I am not fond of being a minority or having to learn a new language to live in My own Country So Thank You So Much for that info after checking the statistics in that area I believe I will have to look somewhere else. We don't have the money to come visit first so If I have to relocate after a bit I will but I'd rather not and if I keep getting wonderful feedback I may just find my Dream location. My ideal Home would be a small farm where I could grown my own vegetables and possibly raise a few critters for meat. I am a country girl and I grew up riding horses in a farm town in Ct. I know about stocking the pantry for winters and making the once a month trip to the city for other supplies. I'm also going to take advantage of legal marijuana which I have had to give up here because of medical problems and urine tests every month. Honestly I felt a lot better when I was smoking than I have in the year I haven't. Airport is not needed but a Dr for my medical marijuana is Thank You All for your input, I look forward to more.
God Bless,
Dori

Old 10-09-2014, 06:43 AM

97 posts, read 135,150 times
Default My Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaw Dori View Post
...I am not fond of being a minority or having to learn a new language to live in My own Country...
Well, Dori, there's a sizable native population in southern Colorado (as in, Native American and Spanish/Mexican) who might debate whether this is now or ever was your "own Country".

Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certainquirk View Post
Well, Dori, there's a sizable native population in southern Colorado (as in, Native American and Spanish/Mexican) who might debate whether this is now or ever was your "own Country".
My parents and grandparents were immigrants and even thou America is not the land originally of white europeans English is the official language and everyone should learn it. You have been served.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 AM

97 posts, read 135,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
My parents and grandparents were immigrants and even thou America is not the land originally of white europeans English is the official language and everyone should learn it. You have been served.
Oh, OK.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM

930 posts, read 1,655,022 times
The United States does not have an official language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado