Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:45 PM

11 posts, read 12,240 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to narrow it down to a few places to consider/visit for our relocation next year. We want to buy a few acres outside of a town or city but not too far away (30 minutes or less).

We are hoping for:
  • Gorgeously scenic. Mountains!
  • Homeschooling families/groups/activities.
  • Would love to have neighbors that value farming, sustainable living, alternative building.
  • We would like to be near a music scene and all kinds of artists.
  • We'd love 4 seasons and not too much snow. Sunshine is a plus. We want to garden
  • Hiking and outdoors activities, please!
Things that do NOT matter to us:
  • We have an internet business and do not care about the job market.
  • We don't care about schools since we homeschool.
  • Politics not a major factor.
I don't know what our budget will be, but we are not rich. If I get recommendations that fit our above criteria, I'll look more closely into the economics of each place.

Any ideas or suggestions for me? We have never been to Colorado, but I'm hoping there's a place there that may fit the bill for us. Thanks for any thoughts you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:50 PM

481 posts, read 1,302,796 times
Boulder would be a good fit but it's pretty expensive. Ft. Collins might work, it's a little cheaper and fits most of your criteria but it's further from the mountains. Colorado Springs would be even cheaper but a lot of your criteria are too liberal to find in the city.

If you want all of the things you're looking for you either pay a lot to live in a place like that or you sacrifice some of what you want to live cheaper. Honestly, a housing budget would help us help you much more. Prices vary immensely all over Colorado. You can get a house in Boulder that would cost four times the same place in Pueblo. You have some pretty unrealistic parameters for almost all of Colorado.

Oh, and four seasons? The best you'll find in Colorado is 2 1/2 seasons in the lower elevations. We have summer and winter. Spring is nearly non-existent and fall lasts a meager few weeks. In the mountains there really isn't anything except a couple months of summer and a looooong winter. Snow can happen anywhere in the state from mid-September to mid-May and that would be a conservative estimation. Visit a few times before you make a decision.

Last edited by Littlekw; 02-01-2015 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 03:37 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,993,433 times
Wink Maybe better New Mexico

Your given criteria would more easily be met in New Mexico. Especially if on a somewhat restrained budget.

I'm not as sure about the home schooling or where others favoring this might live. But in New Mexico you might try around Taos, as it has those into the alternative, the arts (big time), and sustainable living and architecture. Schools tend to be questionable in New Mexico, but of course you'll be side stepping that.

Weather-wise I'm more certain. If wanting four seasons but not much snow, there are possible locations in Colorado, but it will still be cold. Although, for that matter, Taos does see some snow (and cold), so from just that standpoint you might prefer to locate further south. Otherwise the upper Rio Grande valley might suite many of your criteria.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:45 PM

481 posts, read 1,302,796 times
^ Idunn, New Mexico is a great suggestion. Taos is still high altitude and has limited seasons but a bit south is a good idea. Madrid, NM might be a good place to look into. Cute, quaint, very artsy and close to Santa Fe and Albuquerque with milder weather than the Taos area.

Albuquerque itself meets more of the OP's criteria than does most of Colorado. Not too expensive, the Sandia Mountains are right there and there is a large art community as well as longer seasons. I don't mean to chase the OP away from Colorado but NM may very well be a better fit.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:55 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,834,398 times
Music scene can be locals who play and are pretty good to a focus on touring artists, minor to major. If you want year around touring artists, then you need to look in Denver metro. If you are satisfied with local players and a few summer music festivals, a mountain town might be alright.

Salida is on the modest side of music scene but there are signs the summer festival scene may grow in coming years. Its weather and overall attributes generally fit what you asked for.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:55 PM

Thank you for the feedback and leads! I am considering New Mexico, too, but love the scenery in Colorado best I'll look more specifically into the NM towns suggested. We are also considering North Carolina which would really have the ideal weather for us, but again, not the Colorado Mountains! Everything is a trade-off, of course and I'm not sure yet which things we'll be willing to trade for which.

I hate to completely forgo a place due to cost when I've often found that deals can be found on land near places that are supposedly cost-prohibitive. That's why I wanted to find the perfect places first and then look around.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:28 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,498,422 times
Once again, an OP has posted a "wish list" that is essentially conflicting and mutually exclusive in Colorado. How many times do we have to go through this?

Old 02-01-2015, 08:33 PM

26,238 posts, read 49,123,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Once again, an OP has posted a "wish list" that is essentially conflicting and mutually exclusive in Colorado. How many times do we have to go through this?
As many times as people ask.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:24 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,882,242 times
Nashville, TN

Old 02-02-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I'm looking at a lot of places just because it's difficult to find everything on a wish list in one place. I think most people have to compromise on something and that's what we're on city-data trying to figure out. Other than the four seasons, does my list have problems? I appreciate the feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado