Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 05:00 PM

20 posts, read 24,806 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am new here so not sure the best place to post this but looking for some advice from experienced long distance drivers regarding routes and options.

I am currently in Boise and need to head east. I've been waiting for awhile due to the weather. I have driven cross country but am not an experienced driver in that I don't know a thing about chains, have a small Honda Fit - that will be packed, and traveling with a kitty too. I can't stay in Boise indefinitely. I began a cross country relocation for a job that didn't work out. So I need to head back east. There is a slim chance I might head to San Diego. And also Vermont (where family is). There are job options/possibilities in CO and Minneapolis. However, I don't know 1) What is the best route where I can avoid mountains and actually accomplish this with a Honda Fit - even if I head south a tad and 2) is it even an option or do I need to ship my car? My car is full with belongings and I know or believe they will not transport my belongings one of which is a large kitty condo. So that also adds to the stress of having to ship things.

I can wait til March but when is an okay or safe time?

For Minneapolis, it seems taking 80 to 29 to 90 or 80 to 35 is the best way to avoid mountainous terrain and to make it easier/safer. The whole thing scares me because there is nothing out there in Wyoming, Nebraska etc.

For Boulder, taking 84 to 80, then 287 or 25 seems the best option (25 seems more a main road than 287).

For the east coast completely, just staying on 80 - the whole way. But what do I need to be wary if I stay on 80 - any mountains to pass through? I did drive west from the east coast but it was in the summer/early fall so I don't remember any treacherous or precarious passes.

I also have Verizon so worry about cell service on some of the routes mentioned.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 06:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
40 yrs truck driving says... do this :
For Boulder, taking 84 to 80, then 287 .

For the east coast completely, just staying on 80 - the whole way.
... Take I-76 from Denver to NE.

I-80 is very heavily traveled and well maintained, there will be lots of help along the way.

watch this forecast
Climate Prediction Center - 8 to 14 Day Outlook

Call 511 for local conditions (verizon is fine (preferred) in these areas)
If weather is bad, wait a couple days (chances are good it will be clear)

BE SURE to have winter survival kit (blanket, candles, water, flares)

Weather can change FAST in WY and NE, so have a plan. (wait).

No Mtns on I-80, (if you take 287, you avoid Sherman hill) except a range west of Laramie. It can be windy and black ice, so hit that section mid-day.

I drove this route daily for yrs... you will be fine. Just be SMART. (wait a couple days!! if there is risk)

My biggest fear was the Northern UT stretch near Snowville. (ID border) Ground blizzards.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:59 PM

Thank you so so much. I've been waiting in Idaho (stranded) because of the weather and really don't want to transport my car - based on cost and logistics (and belongings). Are there any areas where I will need chains (my car is small and I have never used chains etc)? It sounds like there isn't. I have all season tires - not winter tires.

Are you familiar with the routes to MN For Minneapolis - which one might be better? 80 to 29 to 90, or 80 to 35.

76 from Denver to NE (Nebraska) - would this be instead of just staying on 80 or if I ended up in Denver and continued to head east? Thank you for the clarification and helpful answers and link.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisbet View Post
Thank you so so much. I've been waiting in Idaho (stranded) because of the weather and really don't want to transport my car - based on cost and logistics (and belongings). Are there any areas where I will need chains (my car is small and I have never used chains etc)? It sounds like there isn't. I have all season tires - not winter tires.

Are you familiar with the routes to MN For Minneapolis - which one might be better? 80 to 29 to 90, or 80 to 35.

76 from Denver to NE (Nebraska) - would this be instead of just staying on 80 or if I ended up in Denver and continued to head east? Thank you for the clarification and helpful answers and link.
All season is OK tire, winter tire not required (usually only for heavy snow / city driving)

Get a set of cable chains from Walmart (you can return if you don't use them). Cable is better / easier / cheaper for highway driving. NEVER drive fast with chains, Cheap Chains will break and damage paint / car.

for MSP, I take 80 to 29 (to SR59 and on to 169), but 35 is OK too (depends on weather).

I-76 is route from Boulder to MSP(I-80) . (avoid going to Cheyenne to catch I-80), save time and fuel,

As mentioned... I did this route daily for several yrs, not a big deal, just watch the weather (I didn't have a choice, I was hauling mail / newspapers, I HAD to go daily, regardless of weather.

But... Boise is not such a bad place either! (if you have a job and like BROWN).

Old 02-05-2015, 01:26 PM

You're definitely experienced then with all that driving. Never used chains before. But it seems I may not need then if I watch the weather from what I've been told. Thank you for the clarification about I-76.

I can't say I'm much of a fan of Boise - I like green and blue!

Old 02-05-2015, 01:37 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
The single most important thing to consider when driving in the winter months is snowing weather. Drive only in dry conditions during the daylight hours, do not drive in snowing conditions, period. If you need to use tire chains for that day's driving, don't drive that day; wait it out...

Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 PM

Thanks Danbo1957. That's very good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado