Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:05 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancwithnoe View Post
you seem pretty knoweledgable. Im 26 never married, vet... im from Louisiana and currently trying to decide between Eugene, Oregon and Boulder, CO. I will be going to college all covered and am wanting to buy some land. Why did people get forced off their land? I really need some info. What i want to do is have a self sustainable farm, a horse or 2, at least 10-20 acres. I just need guidance. Can you give me any info? Thanks
Nobody was "forced off their land" in the sense the Native Americans were literally "forced" off their land at gunpoint
and forced to march to some far-off wasteland. What the rural former Coloradoan is likely whining about is that economic opportunities were apparently not abundant back in whatever day and place he recalls and land prices presumably rose as a result of accursed "outsiders" moving in. Honestly though, its hard to know exactly what folks like that are griping about at any given time as they'll complain about the time of day and act like it's someone's fault it's 3:20 and not 4:15 like it was back in the good ole days. Honestly, get over it. Life is hard. Change is constant. Deal with it and stop your griping. Its pathetic and does not reflect a true rural "bootstrap" ethic, which I question even exists given the amount of whining and griping we seem to hear from that demographic. What is sorrier than a whiny, kvetching Marlboro Man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
Well said smdensbcs! I've experienced my own batch of movement and relocation, but it ultimately comes back to me and my own choices. I'm not about to gripe about it or blame others. All the fingerpointing stuff is childish and a waste of time. Man-up and grow up you whiners out there. As said above. "...get over it. Life is hard. Change is constant. Deal with it and stop your griping". Amen

Old 05-13-2015, 10:10 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
What is sorrier than a whiny, kvetching Marlboro Man?
How about this?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1431533310
Attached Thumbnails
Am I crazy or is the whole world suddenly trying to move here?-joechemo.jpg  

Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
The pot definitely is a factor. It's hard to believe it but in some states people will go to actual jail for a little bit of weed. It's one less problem is people's lives. It's a beautiful state as well on top of that so what does one expect. This is America and not India, there's no caste system here and people should be able to do what they want with their money and life.

I moved there just to see what it was like, and I loved everything about it, but the Winter is a little to long for my tastes. I've lived in OR, WA, FL, MS, VA, and NJ.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:21 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Colorado grew 6.5% in 4 years. 2014 State Population: Rise of South and West Continues | Newgeography.com Significant but it has been faster before. Since the 1940s, population has grown 14-33% per decade in Colorado. 2010s will rank in bottom 4 of the last 8 decades on growth rate though exact place is still to be determined. 3rd highest state growth rate but in part because of still relatively low base population compared to longer settled areas. In terms of population added it was only 9th highest.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-16-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-16-2015, 11:33 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,322 times
I'm not sure what's with everyone saying the Californians turned Colorado into California 2.0? Many Californians that moved here did so because they are more conservative and were tired of the politics back in California. Besides, not all aspects of California are bad. We've picked up some of the good ones.

As much as people don't want to hear this, we could easily double Colorado's population. It just has to be more spread out. Sorry Grand Junction/Delta/Montrose, but I nominate you for the status of Front Range 2.0.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:54 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
Over the last 6 months or so I keep on overhearing conversations from couples or single people that just moved here and are trying to find a house. It happens almost every time I am out and about. It's like they read somewhere in a magazine that Colorado is amazing (well it is) and decided to come here.
Is it because of the marijuana laws? Is it because living on the East Coast has become less desirable? Or has it always been like this and everything I am overhearing is just a coincidence?
Well.... sounds like you just described Portland.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:16 AM

59 posts, read 59,376 times
I'm out the States and I think I could tell you a broad picture why Colorado is so desirable.

First many people have the impression that Colorado have one of the greatest weathers in the US, four distinct seasons,
not too cold in the winter like Midwest or northeast, doesn't have the gloomy weather of PNW, doesn't have the unbearable summers in Arizona, Texas.

Second it views as a growing economy and stable from fluctuations happens on the east and west coast.
Third people like how Coloradans are active and outdoorsy, I think many people picture Colorado as switzerland of the US.
Colorado doesn't have large cities like NYC or Chicago and that is for some people is an attractive point as you don't need to deal with horrible traffic in big cities although I don't think Denver traffic is a picnic
Prices in colorado are another advantage compared to cities on the same league although I think it could become pricey over time.
Taxation and crime is another advantages.
For me the major drawback is no Coast, but I could live with what Colorado has to offer. or I think so

Old 05-17-2015, 10:08 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
I'm not sure what's with everyone saying the Californians turned Colorado into California 2.0? Many Californians that moved here did so because they are more conservative and were tired of the politics back in California. Besides, not all aspects of California are bad. We've picked up some of the good ones.

As much as people don't want to hear this, we could easily double Colorado's population. It just has to be more spread out. Sorry Grand Junction/Delta/Montrose, but I nominate you for the status of Front Range 2.0.
Well, if you can send the employers who will hire all those extra people, plus figure out a way of getting water to Front Range 2.0 in a time of drought when every single drop of water is already jealousy guarded by the entire West, you go for it. I find it highly unlikely that we're going to turn into FR 2.0 any time soon, but if we did I have one word (well two) Wyoming or New Mexico.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:50 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
CO is "Hot" right now, and there's pros and cons. Denver seems to be the biggest draw for settlers with is annoying because it clogs up the already congested roads. The infrastructure wasn't built to handle the mass wave that arrived in the last 10-15 years.

It's good for business surely and property values as well. More people= more money changing hands.

I'm not a CO native (WY), but have property in CO. I don't feel too bad for the more whiny of the natives, a lot of them tend to be very self-rightous and it's nice to see them get put in their place by the new settlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado