Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:20 AM

8 posts, read 11,181 times

Advertisements

We are a young family of 7 living in Minnesota, and we are thinking about moving to San Diego area or Denver, Colorado. Which cities would be best for us to live in? I am aware of the cons and pros in both cities but I still want to hear your inputs! Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 01:33 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
What made you narrow your choices down to one of these two cities? I know little about San Diego other than that's it's on the coast in southern California and has a large US naval presence. Denver is more or less on the Colorado plains with the "real" mountains being anywhere from a 2 to 3 hour drive, depending on where in the Denver metroplex you end up. Denver's housing and rental market have been rapidly climbing in cost since it seems that every other person in the US wants to move to Denver or elsewhere in Colorado. I heard on the news that at the moment, Denver is the 3rd fasted growing city in the country. Not sure if this is correct, but Denver is certainly filling up with newcomers at a rapid pace.

If you already are aware of the pros and cons of both places, why would you want our input without letting us know what you are looking for in a new city? What's your budget like? what kind of work do you do? How important is your children's education? Even knowing these things, many of us won't be able to give you good input because not everyone in Denver (probably relatively few, actually) have recent experience living in San Diego as well as in Denver.

With so little to go on, I flipped a coin for you - heads Denver, tails San Diego. My coin landed on tails, so San Diego it is. Unless you'd care to give us a little more information.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:25 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,102,365 times
I also flipped a coin for you and it said Oklahoma City due to low cost of living. I don't know if that is an important factor for you, so I can't say if my magical coin is right. Since it is magic, it might be.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,562 times
The only data we really have to go on is a family of 7 from Minnesota possibly moving to Denver (it's hard to discuss San Diego since most of us in this area of the forum are familiar with CO and not San Diego). There are no significant details (income, jobs sought, existing area - city/rural, etc.) Also, there's not much that connects Denver and San Diego. It's unclear why those cities would be picked, other than being on those pesky and rubbish "Best of" lists.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:55 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Posted in the California forum about a family of 6, not 7 on $60,000 a year. Trolling?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:00 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Not enough data in the OP to go on as the question is totally subjective and the OP tells us nothing about what is important to the family.

Until we know more, everyone please hold all replies.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:23 PM

We are a family of 6 but the other baby is on way so that makes us a family of 7 (soon). Smiles!

Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM

Default More details

It seems apparent that I didnt include enough information. What we really are looking for excellent weather, wonderful areas to raise our kids, and we need to know which cities are suitable for large families like us budgetwise. What do you think?

Old 07-09-2015, 01:39 PM

Default Help!

Hello everybody! Let me start off with saying that with my husband's current job he can transfer to anywhere with the same salary as he has right now. He makes about 60 K a year. I am full time mother to 6 with a baby on way, and we are a homeschooling family. We are confused about moving which warmer state and we have narrowed our choices to Denver or affordable areas of San Diego county. What we really are looking for is affordable and fun places to raise our kids. Which cities are suitable for large families like us? Advices are truly appreciated.

P.S. I posted a similar thread last night but I didnt include enough information for good feedback from you guys so I wrote this post!

Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
To me, affordable and San Diego should never be in the same sentence. Denver is getting to be this way as well. My initial thought is with the salary and the size of the family, I would find a warm place where you can get the most bang for your buck. Florida has a really cheap cost of living (outside of Miami/Lauderdale). I think in both Denver and San Diego, you will be REALLY cramped both financially and physically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado