Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,482 times

Advertisements

Hello folks my name is Ben but my friends call me ‘Bubba’.

I am looking for a land purchase with about 40 to 80 acres. I am looking for peace, low stress, undemanding and getting away from ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ attitude. I want to chill by myself and I am way OK with that… I am not interested in trying to impress other people with my belongings or status. I want to drink my coffee in the mornings to views of the big mountains and drink wine at night with all the stars and no light pollution. I am going to be retiring from the Air Force in a year and a half and looking to settle in the San Luis Valley area. I am single so don’t have to check with anyone about my plans. I am currently living in Ogden Utah area and grew up in Tucson, so I am ok with a desert climate and understand living in the cold. I have saved enough to buy some of these advertised plots of land with cash, but, I think to myself, then what? I am concerned about the cost and feasibility of getting the basics: water, gas, and electric. Some of the properties say ‘electric at the road’. I can understand having a propane gas tank on the property, no problem. So my questions, folks, are: (1) What will it take to get water on the property? and (2) What will it take to get electricity on the property? Will it be so expensive that it ruins my dream? Open to any and all advice you might have for this guy... thank you in advance... ~Bubba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:41 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
suggest that you take the time to research all the related threads on this forum about the experiences that other folk have with the SLV area with similar concerns.

Don't know what your budget is, but if you're thinking that it will be "inexpensive" or "cheap" to bring a piece of raw low cost land up to a livable condition with housing, water and utilities, you may be on the wrong track. Remote and isolated here does not equal inexpensive.

As well, if you need a job for supplemental income in your retirement, you may have a conflict with location vs opportunities.

PS: as always, I suggest that you visit the "cheap land" that you're considering buying a couple of times before you make any decision about spending money on a purchase. Visit in the "nice" weather months, then visit ... if you can ... the sites in the winter months. There's a reason why the land in some of those subdivisions is so inexpensive. Also, understand that the associated views and wonderful scenic pictures that accompany a lot of 'net marketing for these places are "in the area", but not necessarily at where you're buying acreage. A tip-off that you may be looking at a problem parcel is if it's a "contract to deed land purchase" with the note carried by the seller/developer. Further, before you buy any parcel in a subdivision there, check out the secondary market ... the acres that folk who bought there already are trying to sell their places for, and see if they are actually able to sell them without taking a bath on the deal. Typically, folk default on these places when they encounter problems and the seller still owns the property, doesn't need to foreclose on a note like a bank lender holding a mortgage; you just walk away from your down payment and any monies you've paid for the place. Could be less expensive than the loss of trying to sell it.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-01-2015 at 06:54 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 07:42 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,940 times
Contact well drillers that serve that area and they can tell you the approximate cost to put in a well.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,482 times
Thank you... would the REA be willing to give an estimate for the approximate cost to get electric on the property?

Old 10-04-2015, 03:40 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
From the Denver Post today.

View "As newcomers move to desert, growing pains" article at
As newcomers move to desert, growing pains

Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
From the Denver Post today.

View "As newcomers move to desert, growing pains" article at
As newcomers move to desert, growing pains
Excerpt from the article: "...drawing residents who arrive with little but plans to make a new life..."

Sounds like the refugee crisis in Europe....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:06 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba-bear View Post
Thank you... would the REA be willing to give an estimate for the approximate cost to get electric on the property?
the utility providers will usually give you a quote to get power to a remote property and a repayment terms offer. Don't be surprised if the cost is mid-5 figures and the repayment is 20 years of monthly payments for this service, it's one of the reasons why folk try to live "off-grid" when their original intent was to have a very low cost of living.

the utility provider may want to see some security or form of creditworthiness before providing the service; after all, they do need to be repaid for the capital investment to get power and a meter to your site. A prospective lien on many of the property sites wouldn't be enough value to cover the service, so they may want you to put up a significant down payment or pledge some other assets.

perhaps the "best way" to get isolated rural electric service is to get a number of neighbors together to sign up so that the line install costs can be amortized over a larger group of people.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:44 AM

242 posts, read 413,319 times
The electric company may be able to zone in somewhat on average costs/etc. How far is the dig?

Cost to Dig Trench - 2015 Cost Calculator (ZipCode based) lists average cost to dig a trench. We just extended an EXISTING service line about 300 ft and the cost to do so was approx. 3K with materials. (conduit and wire) So I'd say figure at LEAST $30 per foot to dig + whatever materials/transformer/pole/system costs they tack on.

And keep in mind...as more folks come rolling in with the same idea ("this will be a cheap place to live")...the prices rise as the folks who do the work get busier and busier. Make a few calls, you'll see what I'm sayin'. The difference between last year and this year in the construction field is staggering/night and day. Can you say BOOM?

best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: