Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times

Advertisements

Good luck with your further research, planning, use or perhaps exchange (if you end up wanting to and can).

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-04-2016 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 10:59 PM

317 posts, read 475,831 times
I was just out in this area last Saturday doing some exploring (drove up Ute Trail from Salida and took Park Co. Rd 53 up to Hartsel). I can tell you there is absolutely nothing out there except for barren rolling hills and cattle. Personally, I thought it was gorgeous, but it's certainly not a convenient place to try and build a home. You're going to be spending a lot of money just getting something off the ground. The properties closer to Highway 9 seemed to have power and telephone, but everything closer to Fremont County seemed to be off-grid. Still, I did see power lines here and there, it's possible yours may have a connection.

As others have said, water is going to be key. It took me almost 90 minutes to drive from the Fremont County line to Hartsel, and I only crossed one tiny little creek / irrigation ditch. You're likely looking at hauling it all in.

Also, you'll certainly need a 4x4 out there when it's muddy. I would have absolutely gotten stuck out there if my vehicle were only 2WD.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:17 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylissa View Post
here is a link to the lot, Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

but i didnt buy from there, i got quite a good deal for it. we are going to use it as a camping spot and go thru to buena vista to shop eat and swim at hot springs and alma is close ish, its not too dry and dead looking as a bit north toward the main rd. its not a priority to own water rights doesnt the fed govt own all bodies of water anyway? you can get water "trucked in" i hear for 30 dollars a month for our greenhouse plan but thats only if i want to build a home and stay there for about 6mo per year and other six mo would be at my farm in iowa. i dont like staying put at all and hate the super hot summers here. so this will hopefully be god chill summer spot. next land would be bought in arizona nearest to the zone 11 border. for winter life. See the plan? I can exchange the land for a piece in arizona or a few other states if i dont like it according to the sellers.
So, have you actually been there? You know that it's not too dry and dead looking? Sure looks that way on the aerial photos!

No, the Federal Government doesn't "own all bodies of water". I think there are probably a couple of threads here about water rights in Colorado. The water rights issue goes back a long way and water is heavily legislated in Colorado. What kind of water delivery do you expect to get on a very remote dirt road? I found one company that will deliver in the BV area, but I bet their charges are more like $300 than $30. Of course, if you are going to be off-grid, you can just bring in your own bottled water.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:21 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 02:02 AM

23 posts, read 32,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So, have you actually been there? You know that it's not too dry and dead looking? Sure looks that way on the aerial photos!

No, the Federal Government doesn't "own all bodies of water". I think there are probably a couple of threads here about water rights in Colorado. The water rights issue goes back a long way and water is heavily legislated in Colorado. What kind of water delivery do you expect to get on a very remote dirt road? I found one company that will deliver in the BV area, but I bet their charges are more like $300 than $30. Of course, if you are going to be off-grid, you can just bring in your own bottled water.
Im not sure why water rights are needed, im not planning to live there, nor planning on irrigating anything. our toilet will be composting. did you know flushing your toilet takes up 27% on avg person's water consumption? fun fact. stop worrying about water rights and start fresh water correctly instead of flushing it in poop and giving most of it to livestock. go vegan. the water delivery is 300 for 5000 gal. and there are many companies to choose from. im also going to be testing some hardy perennials There which dont need much water such as yarrow and mint. will not post here again because like always naysayers are very lame and not worth my time.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:56 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,394,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I was just out in this area last Saturday doing some exploring (drove up Ute Trail from Salida and took Park Co. Rd 53 up to Hartsel). I can tell you there is absolutely nothing out there except for barren rolling hills and cattle. Personally, I thought it was gorgeous, but it's certainly not a convenient place to try and build a home. You're going to be spending a lot of money just getting something off the ground. The properties closer to Highway 9 seemed to have power and telephone, but everything closer to Fremont County seemed to be off-grid. Still, I did see power lines here and there, it's possible yours may have a connection.

As others have said, water is going to be key. It took me almost 90 minutes to drive from the Fremont County line to Hartsel, and I only crossed one tiny little creek / irrigation ditch. You're likely looking at hauling it all in.

Also, you'll certainly need a 4x4 out there when it's muddy. I would have absolutely gotten stuck out there if my vehicle were only 2WD.

^^Spot on. This area is treeless and windswept. Pictures are obviously taken in the spring as most the year it will be varying shades of beige and grey. The wind blows almost constantly and with the September to May snow possibilities, blizzards are a regular concern.

Ya know, even homeless people camp where water is easily accessible. You can call us naysayers, but asked us what you should do with it and we are trying to advise you on why this development has become a stillborn opportunity. Obviously is was platted and road were designed and laid out. The fact that there are no structures out there are directly due to the cost or inconvenience of providing basics such as water, sewer, and electric. If your willing to go for it with composting, greenhouses, and trucked in water, have at it.

Park County, as are many other rural counties, are becoming less tolerant of off grid living are are pushing for tighter regulations and more regular inspections. In many places, extended camping is prohibited and even self contained tiny homes are being required to have regular sewer connections. I'd certainly advise you to contact Park County officials and review land use regulations as well as initiate a conversation with them about your occupancy plans; Park County, CO | Official Website

Old 05-05-2016, 08:54 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
Quote:
will not post here again because like always naysayers are very lame and not worth my time.
You have to understand that the land you have purchased is often sold to be people who are willfully ignorant and it ends up being a scam. The people on here don't want to see that happen to you. It sounds like you are the 1% of 1% who is on the leading edge of conservation and is willing to push the boundaries. Good for you! Just don't close your ears to good advice.

Water and proximity to a store will greatly impact your happiness why you camp there. For example, I would be surprised if you can get water trucked in for $30 a month. That area is so remote that the truck will have to drive about 3 hours round trip, so I think it would be closer to $200 per trip. This is just my educated guess and I could be wrong, but you should check it out before you move out for the summer. Also, how hard will it be to get affordable fresh produce? Most things are expensive up there and the selection is limited. If you are open to eating meat, I think hunting might be an important part of feeding yourself.

Anyway, good luck and please come back and tell us what you learned. There are a lot people who want to do what you are doing.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 AM

I usually give rep pts to original posters. I don't do it a lot for other responders (but occasionally). This time in recognition of the well meaning, appropriate comments given by 7 other responders I tried to rep each of you. If you didn't get one, it is because you got one from me too recently to get another one so soon. Good job to those that honestly try to help based on limited information and hit or miss OP reactions and non-reactions. Do it til you possibly get tired of the mix balance of silence, appreciation and possible lack of it.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-05-2016 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Thanks, NW Crow. Another dreamer who bought property sight unseen who can't handle the truth. $12,000 for 3+ acres -- there's a reason why there are no structures within miles of this place.

Once again, PT Barnum is proven right.

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 05-05-2016 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: added comment

Old 05-05-2016, 12:48 PM

There different ways to take comments and folks will vary on how they take concerns & what could go wrongs. That is natural & ok, even when one or both sides are not so pleased or impressed with the other. Give and give back. Might be worth something, might be worth a try. Have some success once or twice out of 3 - 4 tries.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:55 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,562 times
Quote:
will not post here again because like always naysayers are very lame and not worth my time.
That's a shame, because many people here are trying to help you. You asked us questions, and we have given good information and advice. We could be spending our time in other ways, but we try to do our part in helping others and sharing what we know, as a free service. We actually give a d@mn about others. You're coming across though as though you know everything, and don't want to hear anything that conflicts with your plans. Well, we'll still wish you good luck, and go away feeling good knowing we've at least tried to help you. Your attitude and name-calling (i.e. "naysayers") won't affect us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado