Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:30 AM

999 posts, read 1,248,700 times

Advertisements

What StealthRabbit said ...
... and
Look at Park City UT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 08:46 PM

16 posts, read 23,196 times
Since money isn't a problem $2 million would buy a lot of house and an acrage in Salida. Monarch is 20 min away. Vail under two hours. Arkansas river and lots of whitewater.. It's a town well suited for those who can bring their own money and jobs, which is why i dont live there, plus its a bit isolated. Denver is still about 2 hrs. .so not Western slope isolated. Spouse who's an OT can work anywhere as OP said

Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM

670 posts, read 1,176,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I can't imaging hacking the Denver / Boulder smog while training for TriA.

The air quality in SLC or "Smog Lake City" is MUCH worse way more often than along the front range. I haven't seen photos of the Denver area that rival this since perhaps the early 80s.
Salt Lake City, Wasatch Front Contain Carcinogenic Levels of Some
Smog Lake City | POWDER Magazine

Old 03-06-2017, 10:02 AM

11,475 posts, read 11,617,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
The air quality in SLC or "Smog Lake City" is MUCH worse way more often than along the front range. I haven't seen photos of the Denver area that rival this since perhaps the early 80s.
Salt Lake City, Wasatch Front Contain Carcinogenic Levels of Some
Smog Lake City | POWDER Magazine
If you were to believe everything stealthrabbit says about Denver, you'd imagine it to be nothing but a high crime, heavily polluted, oppressively taxed, urban cesspool.

I travel extensively all over the US and haven't found another place I'd rather live.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 AM

6,809 posts, read 5,124,615 times
Boulder County is probably a good choice if you want to stay on the Front Range. Whether in Boulder proper or not is another question. You'll have to look for yourself to see if you like it enough to pay up. $1M does not buy much of a house in Boulder today. Some of the neighboring communities have nice enough downtown areas. Not as big as Boulder's, but then of course not as hectic either.

You won't be 1-2 hours from world class skiing, at least if you are talking weekend trips. But most of the rest of your list should be satisfied.

Other option is to look in the mountains, but from your OP it doesn't seem like that's what you are looking for.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,367 times
Lots to think about. Boulder wasn't top of the list due to relatively high density and prices are high. However, we will check it out based on everyone giving it a thumbs up.

Moving to a ski town or some of these other small towns mentioned could be nice, but I don't think it is going to score high on some other metrics like schools, community involvement and access to shopping and gyms/studios. Since we are renting first, we can always visit smaller towns and sample that lifestyle at a later date.

Thanks All, and keep the opinions coming.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:55 PM

11,475 posts, read 11,617,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpouliot816 View Post
Lots to think about. Boulder wasn't top of the list due to relatively high density and prices are high. However, we will check it out based on everyone giving it a thumbs up.

Moving to a ski town or some of these other small towns mentioned could be nice, but I don't think it is going to score high on some other metrics like schools, community involvement and access to shopping and gyms/studios. Since we are renting first, we can always visit smaller towns and sample that lifestyle at a later date.

Aspen/Carbondale have great community involvement and schools. I have some friends who just left Denver for Carbondale and are absolutely loving it. They have 3 kids elementary school and preschool aged.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:10 PM

31 posts, read 37,469 times
Golden.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,823 posts, read 58,392,967 times
healthly budget, good for families, skiing/hiking in close proximity ???

this says Denver? (i.e. Kansas)

The OP has the dough to live WITHIN recreation, clean air, Mtns, Hiking, Kayaking, skiing. And folks recommend:
  • traffic,
  • noise,
  • crowds
  • EXPENSE (of urban)
  • hassle of fighting the masses trying to escape
  • privacy fenced neighborhoods possibly with OCD (or wacko) neighbors 10' away

Fortunately I have usually lived within a recreation area with a great view from every window, recreation out the back (or front) door, no traffic, no smog, and no neighbors.
OP can do that!

Sounds good to me.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,823 posts, read 58,392,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpouliot816 View Post

Having always lived in small(er) recreation centric towns... you are likely to find very educated and concerned FT residents who are capable of supporting superb schools and communities, in spite of the recreational visitors. Teachers, inventors, authors, retired scientists and professors live in small recreation towns, as well as lots of very engaged and intelligent people (many have / run studios). (Research the sites of US National Labs, they are superb communities in very nice locations! (including Golden and Boulder), consider the 'health retreat villages' of Austria, Switzerland, and Germany, they are awesome and plentiful and will have wonderful schools and communities, and a very nice and productive QoL!) Those who visit expect services and what is needed will be there (way too many SPAs...). Our local lodges have 'specials / passes' for locals to access facilities. The Grocery store cannot keep the inventory of Trader Joes or Costco, but locals will pick up your 'bulk' stuff if they HAVE to run to the city (and they will deliver it to you for free).

Amazon prime works for those who cannot be without. My current tenant gets shipments everyday

Glenwood Springs is actually a pretty good sized, well served community, as is Grand Junction.

Only issue is having to drive to Kansas to get to DEN airport (but you can plan well and take the train!)
CoS is a good CO alternative if you must be in the masses, far less pollution, much closer to recreation, and a recreation 'centric' community (Olympic Training Center / military / high tech / youthful residents and many trails / available venues).

SLC region avails < 1 hr to perfect skiing and airport nearby. (hint: live in the mtns and commute to the airport / city, unless you need to take a flight daily)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-07-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado