Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 07:39 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,419 times

Advertisements

$42k/year seems awfully low for an accounting job, even entry level -- if you have an Accounting degree, even moreso if you are working on your CPA tests.

I'd assume you could find something for upper 40's to low 50's in the Denver metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 07:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elre36 View Post
Hi everyone, I hope you guys can help!! Any comments will be appreciated!

Im a recent graduate with a Finance degree and considering moving to Vail January 2019. I have a permanent job offer in Vail (not seasonal) in accounting. I also have a job offer in Miami as well. I know they're completely different cities but I'm really having a hard time deciding on one. *The Miami position it 10k more than the Vail one a year*

I started applying to Vail because I visited two times last season and completely fell in love. I've always been a nature lover; I typically go hiking or do outdoor activities during the weekend. However, I started having second thoughts primarily because I don't know if it's an intelligent move in my career and personal life to go to a small town. Adding to the confusion is my existential crisis on whether I want to be part of the rat race or not, which I think is more dominant in Miami.

Basically here are my questions to know whether Vail is the right move.

1. Will moving to Vail (small town) limit or expand my professional opportunities in the future? In other words, do you think Vail is a place that offers growth opportunities within the town and/or outside of it if I decide to eventually move.

2. Can you build permanent relationships? After reading a lot of forums it seems like all people in Vail just go for a short amount of time during the year. Also, how is the dating scene for a 23y/o, are there place to meet new people or are there any young professionals?

3. Does it get lonely in the off season? Do people living in Vail feel isolated from society? As the closest major airport is Denver...

4. Will I have savings? The job is around 42k a year; I have a moderate lifestyle. Plan on renting a studio or maybe find a roommate. I usually eat out on the weekends but try to cook in during the week.

5. Any renting options you guys might have heard of. I would like a 6 month lease to start with.

Lifestyle: during the week I work, exercise and read. During the weekends I like do outdoorsy stuff but I also do like to go out on the weekends I don't feel like hiking. Do you think Vail would be a good fit for me?

Vail will be what you make of it. I did very well out of it, the work I did there was a foundational pillar for what I do now, family members were also and still are very successful there. Yes you can build permanent relationships. Yes tourists will come and go, seasonal workers will come and go, but to me that's what was always great, a turnover of new people and renewal all the time. Yes I still have strong friendships despite not living there now for a while. No I do not think it gets lonely in the off season, in fact most people that live there enjoy the break from the tourists and all the action. You could live on $42K, but you will probably want to get a tip earning second job. There are plenty of those available. Finding rentals this time of year will be harder but there are usually some rentals on the lookout for a year long renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado