Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 07:04 AM

152 posts, read 142,800 times

Advertisements

Anyone knows the type of soil I will find near Blanca? Do people usually get a soil survey done before building the foundations ? What's the typical load bearing in the area of the soil? Anyone had to dig deeper to find solid ground for the foundation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 05:54 AM

Anyone ?

Old 02-25-2019, 10:20 AM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
Viktor, are you aware of how few people live in the San Luis Valley? No one is ignoring you, there simply aren't that many people that live here and, statistically, very few of whom would be on this forum - and even fewer still who would know the particulars of load-bearing statistics of local soil content.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but please stop spamming this forum with new threads. Combine all of your questions into a single Blanca-related thread and go from there. In addition to keeping all of your replies in one place, it will be much more helpful for those in the future that want to read through the discussion.

Also, I'm saying this as someone who lives in the valley full-time and knows the local culture. This is coming from a place of genuinely trying to help you. But you need to know that you're coming across as awfully needy for someone intending to live off-grid in a place whose culture is steeped in self-reliance. I hope you understand that building and living out here means you're going to need to be okay with not knowing certain things until you're actually here to find out for yourself.

There are people in the valley that will be perfectly happy to help you along the way, but you have to temper your expectations and be willing to accept how things are done out here if you hope to have a good experience.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:32 AM

I didn't realize new threads were an issue , let alone considered as spam - I thought this is a good way to make my questions visible since they don't fit into other topics and keep them separate as they are separate topics. Besides, my questions doesn't need to be answered by someone from Blanca, there's San Luis, Alamosa, Fort Garland etc. SLV is pretty big with lots of people.

Now I don't want to seem like a jerk or anything, these are simply questions that come up way before we even consulted an engineer or started actual planning but I was somehow in a belief the anyone who builds a house starts with these steps as the ground and the foundation are the most critical parts of the house regardless of a location, especially in a remote area.

The needy part I would disagree with rather strongly - I'm just asking questions, thus gathering information about the area and with every answer I hopefully broaden my perspective about how I will need to manage things.

I'm perfectly okay with not knowing things ahead and figuring myself but since there is a forum the first step for me is to ask as probably other people went through the exact same procedures and already have some experiences.

All I'm planning to do is to build a nice holiday house and enjoy the area, the weather, nature whenever we're there - this just can't come across as needy, it can and has been done pretty much anywhere on the globe.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:56 AM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
The entire population of the valley is around 47,000 people. For a place the size of Israel, that's extremely low population density. The valley's topography is actually quite diverse despite what you might think based on pictures of the valley floor. So people on here that might live in, say, Del Norte, or Saguache, or La Jara, etc will have drastically different parcels of land than yours due to much different moisture content due to proximity to rivers or creeks.

Gathering information and being proactive is great and I don't think anyone (myself included) is faulting you for that. But posting thread after thread and following up with responses like 'Anyone ?' on your own threads only a few days after you started them DOES come across as needy, regardless of whether or not that was your intent.

I understand your overall plan and I agree that the water concern is not as important in your specific situation, so I'm sympathetic to you being bewildered by the barrage of responses regarding that. I genuinely wish you success and happiness with your holiday home and your time here. I'm just trying to help you understand the culture here.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:13 AM

Thanks Inter, I'm just living in a fast paced environment in London so generally we measure time in minutes not days and it's pretty hard no to follow up - also I thought that would keep the topic more visible, at least on my end it looks like.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:46 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Maybe the mods can start a separate SLV sub forum.

To answer the OP's question, yes get a soil test. The soils in Colorado are notorious. Follow the engineers advice in the report or you'll have problems. There are a lot of expansion issues, radon, under surface water, all kinds of things. Using piers in construction is common.

Last edited by COcheesehead; 02-25-2019 at 12:16 PM..

Old 02-25-2019, 11:52 AM

That's pretty useful, thanks!

Old 02-25-2019, 02:40 PM

53 posts, read 48,057 times
Here is a handy tool that I used in my soil science class. Click on the menu button at the top left and when it drops down, put in your location. If you have the coordinates, it will be even better. You can then click on the map and it will tell you the soil composition of that location.

https://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/gmap/

Old 02-25-2019, 02:50 PM

235 posts, read 355,207 times
Have you contacted Costilla County Planning Department? They’ll have tons of resources for you. Phone # is 719-937-7668. https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cos...lanning-zoning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado