Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2006, 04:58 PM

54 posts, read 302,155 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I am new here and we've been doing some research when we came across this sight. I've been reading some threads posted and it has given us some great information that is well appreciated. Mike's thread was also very informative with many great responses.

I had a question that I was hoping maybe to have some feedback and your opinions/expertise on too ...

We are looking to move to Colorado but are trying to narrow down our search as to what city would be best for us. We love Colorado and have family in different locations in Colorado that we have visited. The place that would be ideal for us would be to live in a smaller city and it wouldn't matter if it were in a small home as long as we had a nice view and land around an acre or so. We are outdoorsey people and love to camp, fish, hike, hunt, etc.

Can you tell me what areas you would recommend?

We think Colorado is beautiful but the only thing that is overwhelming for me is narrowing down the job market? There are so many job listing on Monster.com, Hotjobs.com, Chamber of Commerce, City/County/State/Gov't, etc., etc. that I don't know where to begin??? What we would like to do is find a job for my husband first, move and then I can job search and rent until we find a home to purchase. We don't have kids or any of that to worry about either. His job experience lies with test directing, logistics, and law enforcement. I would be looking for something in I.T. Could you give any suggestions on what cities we should start to look and/or what corporations to start applying?

We would greatly appreciate any help or advice from you and thank you very much for your time and assistance in this. We look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 09:10 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmers View Post
Hello All! I am new here and we've been doing some research when we came across this sight. I've been reading some threads posted and it has given us some great information that is well appreciated. Mike's thread was also very informative with many great responses.

I had a question that I was hoping maybe to have some feedback and your opinions/expertise on too ...

We are looking to move to Colorado but are trying to narrow down our search as to what city would be best for us. We love Colorado and have family in different locations in Colorado that we have visited. The place that would be ideal for us would be to live in a smaller city and it wouldn't matter if it were in a small home as long as we had a nice view and land around an acre or so. We are outdoorsey people and love to camp, fish, hike, hunt, etc.

Can you tell me what areas you would recommend?

We think Colorado is beautiful but the only thing that is overwhelming for me is narrowing down the job market? There are so many job listing on Monster.com, Hotjobs.com, Chamber of Commerce, City/County/State/Gov't, etc., etc. that I don't know where to begin??? What we would like to do is find a job for my husband first, move and then I can job search and rent until we find a home to purchase. We don't have kids or any of that to worry about either. His job experience lies with test directing, logistics, and law enforcement. I would be looking for something in I.T. Could you give any suggestions on what cities we should start to look and/or what corporations to start applying?

We would greatly appreciate any help or advice from you and thank you very much for your time and assistance in this. We look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you!
One issue you will find VERY hard to break free from is the address issue. If your address is let's say an Ohio address when you apply for a CO local job, most companies will just file your resume in the trash.

Why? Because companies are afraid you will ask for relocation expenses (which most don't offer) or the company thinks you are not readily available to work. Furthermore, most hiring stauff believe people from out of state just like to "check out local wages" and in the end if they hire someone from out of state, they could ultimatelly not move to CO and work at the job.

IT is great in northern CO!!

Merry Christmas!
Chris

Old 12-20-2006, 03:27 PM

54 posts, read 302,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
One issue you will find VERY hard to break free from is the address issue. If your address is let's say an Ohio address when you apply for a CO local job, most companies will just file your resume in the trash.

Why? Because companies are afraid you will ask for relocation expenses (which most don't offer) or the company thinks you are not readily available to work. Furthermore, most hiring stauff believe people from out of state just like to "check out local wages" and in the end if they hire someone from out of state, they could ultimatelly not move to CO and work at the job.

IT is great in northern CO!!

Merry Christmas!
Chris
THANKS A BUNCH CHRIS! Very helpful information! I understand about the address part, even though we are so ready to move there and would pick up in a heart beat as soon as one of us gets a job and even though we don't care if our expenses are paid or not, I understand how the employers might think that. Maybe if I e-mail or mail it in with a cover letter explaining or stay with family up there for awhile while we searched for jobs. The only thing would be to have the city picked out and places picked of where we want to apply for. Do you think it is the same for places that put there job listings for IT online with Monster.com and Dice.com, etc.?

Merry Christmas to you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: