Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 10:50 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,202,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Did you see my post above? I'm still not convinced that Turbotax doesn't do it automatically if you enter the info correctly. Did you enter a 1099-R (or maybe it's a diff form for various other retirement distributions besides an IRA?) in the Federal section?
I did my taxes three times - one rough, using a possible dependent for HOH, once again as single... and then, having set it all aside until the new deadline, a more or less fresh run. Yes, the IRA withdrawals were entered as 1099-R income. My age is known to the app. I really, really understand how many such complaints are PEBCAK, but I think this is an egregious flaw/oversight by Intuit on CO state tax processing, and it cost me $800 last year (which I hope to retrieve) and would have meant $300 in overpayment this year. Not trivial, given how numbnuts-simple the tax code issue is. (The feds certainly understood it all well enough to apply EW penalties etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 12:19 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I did my taxes three times - one rough, using a possible dependent for HOH, once again as single... and then, having set it all aside until the new deadline, a more or less fresh run. Yes, the IRA withdrawals were entered as 1099-R income. My age is known to the app. I really, really understand how many such complaints are PEBCAK, but I think this is an egregious flaw/oversight by Intuit on CO state tax processing, and it cost me $800 last year (which I hope to retrieve) and would have meant $300 in overpayment this year. Not trivial, given how numbnuts-simple the tax code issue is. (The feds certainly understood it all well enough to apply EW penalties etc.)
I went back into TT, opened my 2019 file, clicked on State Taxes, then Income.
It definitely pre-populated the amount the amount from my 1099-R (IRA distribution) entered in the Federal. I've attached an image of the top of the TT State Income window When I click on Edit, I get what is seen in the second attachment. This is where you can edit the amount.

I also went back and looked at my last several years of tax forms and the deduction is present on each one.

I have no idea why it's not coming up for you this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbotax/CO/pension deduction-capture.jpg   Turbotax/CO/pension deduction-capture1.jpg  

Old 07-12-2020, 12:22 PM

Huh. I never saw the latter panel in any of my passes. I had to "decide to edit" that suggestion during the review phase.

Never mind, I guess... I must have somehow missed it, but I can't begin to guess how.

I might run my own 'speriment if I have a minute. FWIW, 2018 was Home and Business and 2019 was Deluxe. I wonder if Intuit simply switched off the helper step because I didn't pay enough...

Old 07-12-2020, 04:27 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,706,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
My father was a CPA. He did my taxes before he died. Now that I'm retired, it's easy enough to do myself. And I also do my kids' taxes, though one of them drives me a little nuts with stock options paid in Swiss Francs :-)

Here's a little secret for you - CPAs use software, too. As a matter of fact, it's made by the same company that makes Turbotax. It's Turbotax on steroids and called Lacerte.
Yep, I stopped going to a CPA when I realized all they did was ask me the same questions TT did and I could answer the TT questions in my underwear. The CPA frowned on me not wearing pants.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:28 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,527,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Yep, I stopped going to a CPA when I realized all they did was ask me the same questions TT did and I could answer the TT questions in my underwear. The CPA frowned on me not wearing pants.
I could see if you have a particularly complicated tax situation in a particular year due to a particular situation it might be worth using a cpa. But for an ordinary tax year, for most it doesn't seem to be worth it - I agree. Once I paid a cpa to see if it made a difference and watched them do what I could've done at home and was honestly pretty disappointed - why pay like 4x the money for what you could do yourself? I help my parents do theirs because they find the technology confusing/anxiety inducing at their age so that may be another reason some would pay a cpa.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:01 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I could see if you have a particularly complicated tax situation in a particular year due to a particular situation it might be worth using a cpa. But for an ordinary tax year, for most it doesn't seem to be worth it - I agree. Once I paid a cpa to see if it made a difference and watched them do what I could've done at home and was honestly pretty disappointed - why pay like 4x the money for what you could do yourself? I help my parents do theirs because they find the technology confusing/anxiety inducing at their age so that may be another reason some would pay a cpa.
Ditto, had a CPA do our return once, about 25 years ago, and got the same result as I could have done for myself so I always did it on my own after that. For our simple situation the CPA was a waste of money. TurboTax Deluxe is what I've used for years, does the job just fine.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:10 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,706,635 times
I will tell where I will never have my taxes done: H&R Block. The year they prepared my taxes was the only time my return contained errors.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I will tell where I will never have my taxes done: H&R Block. The year they prepared my taxes was the only time my return contained errors.
They use seasonal workers with about as much training as Target Christmas stockers. I knew a few and was appalled anyone would hire them to sell donuts, much less do taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado