Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 12:50 PM

8 posts, read 6,940 times

Advertisements

I just want to thank all of you for all of the advice you're giving! I came in here expecting one or two replies, so this has been really nice.

After discussing different locations with y'all, I've gone ahead and eliminated smaller mountain towns as an option for this move. I am concentrating on the Western/Southern side of Denver and the Western/Northern side of CoS now. I am still leaning towards CoS, but a lot of the research I have done suggests it's not that great a place to live. Then again, most people who say that are the same people who lived there their entire lives. I say the same thing about DFW lol. I also need to keep in mind that while there are a lot of DoD contracts for my expertise there, I'm not too hot on working for DoD. There are a lot more job openings related to what I do now around Denver.

Vision67, thanks for the suggestion. There is actually some housing there I can afford! I will keep that location in mind.

Yesterday afternoon I had a discussion with my manager. Good news, my pay cut is being removed! I reviewed my finances and budget and found that if I raise my housing budget to $1500 then a lot more options are available. I should also have at minimum $5,500 set aside for the move.

Stealth, thanks for the cost breakdown. That was about what I had figured as well, except for the registration/tags. According to the DMV, I don't have to apply for those until I have lived in the state for 90 consecutive days. While that is something I will save for, I don't think I need to worry about that expense right away. Please let me know if I'm mistaken though!

Sounds like I might want to get rid of my Stang too. Shame really, I love the hell out of that car. But this is more important to me

Funny, my manager (who is from Colo but lives in Portland) is trying to convince me to move to Portland instead. He's even seeing if he can get me flown out there next month so I can check the place out before making my final decision.

Last edited by tinman_inacan; 08-08-2020 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 12:57 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Subaru Forester is a huge favorite in COLO and also tops the list in Sept 2020 Consumer Reports.

Every place has its warts.

West side of COLO SPGS is very nice. Great local hiking in Garden of the Gods, right in the city.

Lots of info on city-data and lots of websites out there for hiking, google wide and far.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:22 PM

8 posts, read 6,940 times
I have always heard good things about Subarus. I'll check it out. Spent a lot of time researching for my current car, managed to snipe a full-featured one for $10k under market value so hopefully I have some headroom to upgrade. Any suggestions on dealers to avoid in your area?

West side of Colorado Springs is where I fell in love with the state, totally agree. My mom lived there for a while when she was younger and I had some cousins there too. Was at the Garden of the Gods last year and realized it was time to start thinking about moving.

Can't wait to hike every trail I can find Do you have any personal favorites?

Old 08-08-2020, 02:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_inacan View Post
I just want to thank all of you for all of the advice you're giving! I came in here expecting one or two replies, so this has been really nice.

Funny, my manager (who is from Colo but lives in Portland) is trying to convince me to move to Portland instead. He's even seeing if he can get me flown out there next month so I can check the place out before making my final decision.
Option... 5 min north of Portland is an income tax free state. This was a BIG plus when I came from CO during my earning yrs. (age 29) More take-home early in life = earlier departure from employment. more time to hike.
WA =
  • Much lower rents
  • Safer
  • Quick get-away.
  • OR shopping = no sales tax
  • 20+ colleges and lots of venues (within 30 min)
  • Beer city (Seattle is Coffee. Portland is Beer, people and culture / employment / driven-ness reflect that)
  • Really interesting and unique culture
  • Food trucks (1000+)
  • Beautiful OR coast (100% public access) = 1 hr west (nice drive in the 'stang)
  • Well Funded schools in WA (not like OR or CO)... for future needs / resale value.
Hiking... <5 min away for me (PDX is 22 min away, (I can be from home to departure gate in 30 min)

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_g...er_Gorge_Hikes
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/crg...reation/hiking
https://www.wta.org/go-outside/seaso...columbia-gorge

Views: many from my home office...
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...YYQsAR6BAgKEAE

Free trip!?

Take it (unless it will get you fired!)

Enjoy it
50F summer sleeping nights, fresh berries, fresh salmon
Can keep the 'stang
Weather can be DARK and LONG winters. but... you can drive or fly to sunshine in less time that you can drive to Mtns in Colorado. and... it is GREEN! (Visit from Colorado in the winter and you will see the difference)

CO is great for 'visiting', I do it often ($79 fares for direct flight at the moment)

It is also a good place to live, especially if you are a bicyclist. (Wide shoulders, strict traffic rules, lots of bikes), also good for active families.

I would try both / all! places to live.

You're young, much easier to move / adventure - BEFORE spouse / kids / job responsibilities, house ...ugh. then there is elder care... (I had to do that at age 18 - 50) then Spousal care... )

Head out SOON!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:44 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,393,460 times
I'd echo earlier comments about understanding how your remote work interfaces with available internet service. If you are doing any live streaming and need rapid up/download speeds, this will eliminate many remote areas. Security is another aspect you need to consider as some companies have certain requirements that some systems simply can't meet.

Replacing your ride is a more long term objective, unles you plan on living in teh mountains or visiting there in the winter months regularly. I've spent a good portion of my driving years with strictly RWD vehicles such as classic muscle car, Camaros and BMWs. Even the 4wd I use now are RWD the vast majority of the time. That isn't to say these RWD vehicles are the best tools, but they can be adequate. Good snow tires and weight in the trunk can make a big difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado