Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 12,082 times

Advertisements

Actually I will be staying this summer in Silverton and researching the exact location I want to live in. My fist thoughts are Mancos. I have heard that the Western Slope has disposal wells for oil chemical wastes. I read there are about 9 of these waste disposal sites. Does anyone know where they are located?

My second thoughts are of Bayfield.

Also I have horses and will be looking to rent a small horse property and would like to research cost and availabilty. I will be ready to move in by Sept 09.

And lastly I am a massage therapist and will be looking to network with folks in the area. I would like to learn how involved the communites are in their health care?

Thanks for any information you share.

Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:30 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,121 times
My parents have a house for sale in Pagosa Springs. They both work(ed) in Durango, which was about a 45 min drive or so. If you are interested let me know and I will send you a link to thier for sale ad.. Sorry I can really help you with your other questions. I think Pagosa and Durango are nice towns, and if I remember correctly, there is a bit of flat area around Bayfield that could serve well for horses, though I dont know what might be available for rent.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 PM

108 posts, read 389,589 times
Mancos might be a good fit for you, it is usually cheaper then Bayfield and finding some land for horses shouldn't be a problem. When we lived in Mancos a couple years, getting stopped on the highway for cattle drives was a way of life!

The area is full of massage therapists, Durango has a massage school. There are less in the Cortez area then Durango, but less people over there that would pay for a massage as well.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM

59 posts, read 159,320 times
Hi Catt Paw -
I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but the mesa area between Durango and Bayfield might have better priced horse property. There would probably be more rental property available in that area as well. Mancos is beautiful, but property there can be pricey. Regarding the chemical waste area; I don't have any info on that. (I live between Durango and Mancos.....south of both, and know of no problems.)

I have a horse, and decided to board it. Reason being, the sometimes HEAVY snowfall. Maybe you are used to snowy weather, but I found after a few hours of snow-blowing myself out of the driveway, I am so thankful I don't have to snow-blow the horse area as well!! Quite a few people board during the winter months, and keep their horses at home during the Summer and Fall. Just something to think about.

I am not sure what kind of facility/environment you are looking for in regard to massage. Do you want to work for a doctor or spa? Southwest Alternative Medical in Durango has chiropractors and massage therapy. There are quite a few day spas in Durango; The Arabella Spa Salon, Trimble Hot Springs or Amaya Natural Therapeutics are only 3 of the many. And of course, Pagosa Springs with its natural hot pools have a few massage therapy places as well.

Hope this helps a little. Silverton is a beautiful little town to visit; especially during the Summer! It is about 50 miles to Durango, 75 miles to Mancos, and 110 miles to Pagosa Springs from there. Welcome to the area -

Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 AM

Thank you Everyone!

My daughter has lived in Silverton for 6 years now and I visit her every year. I've been there at different times of the year, other than dead winter so have a little idea of how she lives. This is why I have chosen the area in which I want to live. To be closer to her.

As for my horses I am a bit spoiled having had them at home for over 22 years, it will be probably not an option to board them out other than for a month or two to get set up somewhere. Besides I have a young stallion and I dont want other folks messing with him. He is well mannered now and I want to keep him that way. I am an ex-professional horse trainer so tend to be a control freak where my horses are concerned. lol I may pay in more ways than one for this personality flaw. BIG SMILE!

My Massage Practice is medical based, (structural, injury and muscular realighment), so I will probably look for work with a Doctor of some kind, or Chiro, or PT. Eventually I would like to copy my current business model and run an out-call business (come to your home) if Colorado winters allow for it.

Pagosa Springs is a nice area and I am looking into it, but I will not be looking to buy. I want to be sure, wherever I set down at, that I fall in love with it before I look to buy. So for now I want to rent.

Thank you all so much for your input and please if you think of anything more feel free to post it. It really is helping me make some decisions.

S

Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,151 times
While I am quite fond of Pagosa it may serve your needs better to look at Bayfield. Bayfield is closer to Durango and there is a significant medical community there. I would imagine the competition will be many in Pagosa or Durango, certainly not undoable but it will totally depend on how you market yourself and who you partner with.

I use a massage therapist in South Fork and pay $40/hr. SF is a totally different market than Pagosa or Durango though so I would imagine you could get significantly more there.

I think that Colorado law says you have to have at least one acre per horse. I have seen some nice 3 acre peices ideal for horses without housing for around $80K. Post back if you are able to find a rental, I would love to hear about what you find...

Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 PM

261 posts, read 935,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CattPawMassage View Post

I have heard that the Western Slope has disposal wells for oil chemical wastes. I read there are about 9 of these waste disposal sites. Does anyone know where they are located?
They aren't oil chemical wastes. They're disposing of what is known as "produced water". It's water that is produced along with the gas and oil. It's simply re-injected back down into a specially engineered well. You can google the term "produced water" to learn more.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:24 PM

59 posts, read 159,320 times
Cat -
One more thing. You state you are an ex-horse trainer. Since moving here, I have been surprised at how little "horse help" there is in the area!! There is very little tack available in the area... a couple of places in Durango with limited stock, and a place in Cortez which is better. Most people buy what they need online. And, there are very few trainers here. Every trainer I know it booked or has a waiting list.

I am not sure what kind of training you did (or do) but if the massage work doesn't work out for whatever reason, you may consider training again!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 PM

Well guys I keep coming back to Mancos and Cortez. As well as Bayfield. I met with a friend from Fort Collins who is in AZ vacationing and we both discussed Macos quite a bit. I've also talked with a Realtor there whom I want to recontact once I make it to the area. Only 4 months left and I'll be up there. As for Horse training, I suppose I could go back to training some. Yet I feel I won't have any trouble finding work amongst the "competition" in massage. We a lot of that here too. If I can get my hands on folks they pretty much are sold if pain relief that lasts is what they want or need. Not blowing my own horn, It's just that its been the way of it so far in my business. I definately can sell myself and have had tons of experience over the years rounding up work whether it be horse training or massage. I charge 40.00 per hour here in AZ and go to folks homes, my business is thriving and built soley on word of mouth. If I were to stayhere I would have to train one or two therapists in to serve my market. I've been thinking of charging 45.00 for distances closer to home and up it 5.00 beyond a certain distance. Or something like that.

Thanks again, and please keep it coming. I really appreciate all your opinions pos or neg. They all help immensely.

Susan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado