Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:56 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times

Advertisements

for what its worth, ive been told that the halloween time is a time when the first snow storms of the season can start. i would definitely pay attention to the weather when you're driving in because it was pretty scary when i hit one last february around vail. trying to accellerate uphill with a FWD and you hear/feel the tires start to spin can get a little scary for someone not used to the road conditions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^^You may be thinking of the urban legend that it always snows in Denver on Halloween (which is fairly accurate). The good skiing, hence the snows, doesn't usually start until December.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:09 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,022 times
The snow starts flying in the high country in October. You may well run into a snowstorm in October. But there are also periods of warmer weather with no snow. Even with the bigger storms, the roads dry/clear out pretty quickly that early in the season.

For instance, this was October 14, 2007 in Silverthorne (which sits astride I-70 in Summit County at 9,000 feet):

But just a few weeks later, on Halloween, we were outside in just long-sleeve t-shirts.

As others have mentioned, the really big, sustained storms don't usually arrive until December.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:20 PM

201 posts, read 656,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your plan sounds fine to me. October doesn't usually see a lot of snow, though keep in mind, anything is possible.
yep. I think that katiana pretty much summed it up in as few words as possible. As for places to stop and stay- I recommend driving I70 through the mountains during the day (so beautiful!) so if you find yourself approaching the mountains toward nightfall, stop in georgetown (you won't miss anything up until georgetown). If it's mid-day when you enter the mountains, then stop in glenwood springs (it's roughly a three hour drive from denver- ROUGHLY). Glenwood Springs has the hot springs and is quaint and touristy. There's an amazing italian place up there... off the main road (sorry, forgot the name). Glenwood springs is also only a twenty minute drive from aspen (pricey, but also very touristy), although aspen does not sit on I-70. You will also drive through vail on the way, as another option (again, pricey and touristy, although not quite as $$$ as aspen).

Old 08-21-2008, 03:52 PM

21 posts, read 76,026 times
I agree with everyone's comments. If there would be snow in October it would likely be over the 2 major passes. After Vail pass the roads are usually pretty safe, even later in the season. Also, I keep CDOT's number in my cell and call it before I go skiing (303)-639-1111. It has good driving condition info. Glenwood Springs is a great recommendation for a night's stay and maybe the last place until Grand Junction that you can find a hotel room relatively easily. I actually live in Glenwood Springs. West of GWS until Grand Junction the majority of the hotels are booked by oil and gas workers year round. You will love the drive through the Glenwood Canyon and if you have time there is the Hanging Lake hike which has its own exit. Its a decent climb so take lots of water especially b/c you wont have adjusted to the altitude. The destination is one of the most beautiful in the state. If you are going to do more than just sleep in GWS you could check out our famous Hot Springs Pool (world's largest). For dining options I would suggest Tequilas (mexican), the Brew Pub (american), Zheng's (asian bistro), the Bayou (cajun), or Florindos or the Italian Underground (italian). There is also a new Rib City (barbeque).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado