Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,716 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to relocate to Larkspur area, specifically Tenderfoot drive. On the map it looks about 1 km from Highway 25. I was just wondering if this is a super busy highway and are we going to hear the noise outside the house. Anybody from that area? Also...will Larkspur be a good choice for a family with 2 small children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,766 times
Highway 25 is an interstate, a MAJOR north/south interstate so yes it is extremely busy. Whether you will be able to hear it from 1km depends on the topography between your house and the interstate.

It is a very pretty spot, not really much in the town, you will need to drive for anything. As far as a good choice for children that depends. It is quiet and pretty but not much in the way for activities for kids. Depending on their interests they might be a bit isolated there.

Also wildfire danger might be a concern depending on how forested the property is.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
IMO one needs to be at least one mile or two kilometers from ANY interstate highway to avoid noise.

Noise from semi-trucks and motorcycles will carry a good distance and annoy you, especially if trying to sleep at night with windows open.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:23 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,766 times
Very true Mike and plenty of semis and motorcycles on I-25. Also sound gets amplified any time the road surface is wet, and wind will affect how far sound is carried. I would not commit to anything without personally inspecting the location. I looked at an overhead image of that road, it is pretty densely forested, very similar to the terrain in Black Forest. With the ongoing drought and the wildfires we have been having, that is something to take into serious consideration.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,675 times
Any family's out in larkspur care to comment on their kids getting out and playing with other kids, or they isolated like some have suggested? We are looking to move out at the end of the year. Really luv the area, but this is a big concern.
Thanks

Old 11-23-2013, 07:18 PM

16 posts, read 51,324 times
Default Larkspur, Colorado

Hi,

Can anyone give me information about Larkspur? Homes seem beautiful with nice sized lots from what I've seen online. Is it remote? How far is shopping, restaurants, is it a friendly town, families? Thanks for your input!

Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Shopping would be in Castle Rock, maybe a 10 minute drive north on Interstate 25. Or possibly Monument which is the same distance, or close to, south. And that would be the usual culprits like Safeways, King Soopers, Walmart, etc. The only businesses there are a couple mom and pop restaurants, a liquor store, and a Conoco convenience store that has fairly good take out pizza. As far as remote, nope. It's right off I-25. My little sister lives west of Larkspur on state hwy. 105 in one of the oldest places built in the area. I'll be headed that way for Thanksgiving.

I live in Western Colorado so I'll let the Denver and Colorado Springs folks fill ya in on the other questions.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-23-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 11:16 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtj View Post
Hi,

Can anyone give me information about Larkspur? Homes seem beautiful with nice sized lots from what I've seen online. Is it remote? How far is shopping, restaurants, is it a friendly town, families? Thanks for your input!
I live south of Larkspur, but not too far away. It's a very small town with no real shopping of its own, save from a gas station, liquor store and a few small restaurants which could be a pro or a con, depending on your preferences. There are families up there but not nearly as dense as a % compared to planned suburban communities closer to Denver or Springs. They've done an absolutely beautiful job with their community park (using GoCo funds mostly) so that brings a lot of people up there in the summertime, including a lot of families with younger children to play at the playground. Also, a lot of people go up there to use their ball field and other athletic facilities. So that's the main plus to Larkspur, in addition to its scenic beauty.

The downsides to Larkspur are its proximity to I-25 in some areas (which Tenderfoot Dr is one of) and also it gets some really heavy traffic for several weeks in the summer due to the Ren-fair. I don't think the freeway will be too loud at that point, but you will hear it, especially trucks accelerating toward the pass, motorcycles and other particularly loud vehicles. And it will essentially never stop because it's a freeway. Also, the train skirts along the freeway there so you'll hear that some too, especially if/when it blows its horn at the upper lake gulch rd. crossing. I live quite close to the train myself and I do hear it often, day and night, but I hardly notice it and it doesn't affect my life or adversely affect my life to any major degree. The bigger issue is if you have to cross the tracks regularly for work, shopping, etc, which it looks like you would. It;s less of an issue up there because the train is usually moving along pretty good at that point so it should take no more than few minutes to pass most of the time. But it is another factor to consider. I personally like living not he west side of the freeway in a semi-rural area, because it mostly appeals to a retain type of person which I am one of… that is a person who likes a little open space and eclectic country character around town and will gladly drive a little further to city amenities and put up with some train noise and other inconveniences to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado