Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 PM

611 posts, read 920,574 times

Advertisements

I would prefer to see the money spent on fixing malfunction junction and widening 20. Seems like overkill to build a 4-5 lane road that nearly mirrors an existing interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
I would prefer to see the money spent on fixing malfunction junction and widening 20. Seems like overkill to build a 4-5 lane road that nearly mirrors an existing interstate.
What is really needed is an outer beltway around the city but this will not happen as I doubt the traffic volume and cost warrants such.

To those from more urban areas, Columbia traffic is still sissy traffic..........LOL

Old 09-22-2012, 02:13 AM

5 posts, read 4,747 times
I have always thought the same thing. I live and work in NE Columbia and the workdays I head down I-20 @ 5 P.M. to see my parents, I just stay in the left lane because traffic from "malfunction junction" onto I 26 West is always heavily congested. I-77 is kind of like a "by-pass" of downtown Columbia, it would make since if there was a free way to connect I-77 to I-26 W towards Spartanburg, just a thought.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:19 AM

5 posts, read 4,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I don't think it's bad at all. I just hop on I-20 and can be there in 20-23 minutes unless traffic is bad.
It's getting progressively worse in my opinion, wrecks appear to increase, and why do people rubber-neck (i.e. slow down to see an accident which causes traffic to back up and can cause more accidents).

Old 09-22-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaNative1985 View Post
I have always thought the same thing. I live and work in NE Columbia and the workdays I head down I-20 @ 5 P.M. to see my parents, I just stay in the left lane because traffic from "malfunction junction" onto I 26 West is always heavily congested. I-77 is kind of like a "by-pass" of downtown Columbia, it would make since if there was a free way to connect I-77 to I-26 W towards Spartanburg, just a thought.
A friend of mine retired from SC DOT says the state has had an outerbelt way on the drawing boards forever. The objective being getting I26 traffic passing through Columbia off the present I26 and around Columbia away from downtown. They saw I77 as part/beginning of this.

He says they know what to do, but there is no money to do so and he says he does not expect to see it in his lifetime.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:22 PM

377 posts, read 709,478 times
I've wondered how receptive Columbia would be to a project like this being a toll road.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM

83 posts, read 184,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
A friend of mine retired from SC DOT says the state has had an outerbelt way on the drawing boards forever. The objective being getting I26 traffic passing through Columbia off the present I26 and around Columbia away from downtown. They saw I77 as part/beginning of this.

He says they know what to do, but there is no money to do so and he says he does not expect to see it in his lifetime.
So part of this would be roughly parallel to I-26 between Cayce and somewhere past Malfunction Junction? I don't see how this could be built without displacing a lot of people.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:05 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheGreat View Post
So part of this would be roughly parallel to I-26 between Cayce and somewhere past Malfunction Junction? I don't see how this could be built without displacing a lot of people.
If you draw a line from where Killian Road ends to the south side of the Harbison State Forest, there is hardly anyone in the line of fire.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 AM

377 posts, read 709,478 times
There's a trailer park at the end of Killian, but I guess you could just roll them out of the way.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheGreat View Post

As I understood it, it would eventually be a belt way (circular road) around the whole city and some 10 miles or so outside I26.

Example, one going West on I26 (from Charleston) would exit I26 at which now is I77, north on I77, cross over I20, a bit further up I77 would be say I526 which one would take West and rejoin I26 out past Irmo. This would be say the northern loop of the I526 beltway. I26 to I77 to I526 to I26.

Kind of like I295 around Richmond VA. Then eventually like I495 around Washington DC.

I do not expect any of us to ever see such as traffic volume does not warrant such. Same as one should not build 12 lane roads to handle AM and PM rush hours as the 12 lanes would sit unused about 18 hours a day. It would be a total waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area