Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,072 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'll be in the area visiting Ft. Jackson for my soldier's basic training graduation. I'll be in the area for a week in mid/late September. I'm a 20 year old female. Just wonder what to expect, I've never been off the west coast!

I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon. So I feel like the climate change alone might be a rather large change. What's the weather like that time of year in Columbia? ANY & ALL tips on the type of clothing I should be packing would be VERY much appreciated!!! Is it very hot & humid still in September?

Also what is there to do that is relatively close to Ft. Jackson? I know there is a water park on base, & a zoo somewhere near by.

Any and all suggestions & tips are welcome. I'm trying to prepare as much as possible for this trip.

Thanks,
Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:32 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Sept can still have avg temps in the 90's; you can check the longterm forecast as you get closer to your actual trip but i'd say shorts will be used more then pants. Makes packing lite much easier! And as this appears to be a record breaking summer for heat, my guess is it will continue well into Sept as well. Funny side note, my wife always carries an extra shirt/light sweater when we go out to eat as while the outside temps can be near 100 seems every store/eaterie has the AC at 60 ( exaggeration but you get the idea ).

The Riverbanks Zoo/Gardens is well worth a walk thru; there is the Congaree National Forest nearby that can give you some different trees along the walking paths that you may not have on the west coast.

Oh, depending on your spare time, if you have the ability to take a day trip, I'd suggest Charleston. Just a couple hr drive, but it would allow you to hit the ocean where the water temps should be much warmer then you may be used to ( plus the history of a city hundreds of yrs old ).

Try some southern cuisine, since i've been here just 2.5 yrs im still learning the best spots so i'd defer to the 'locals' on their suggestions for that.

Most importantly, congrats on their graduation! best wishes for wherever their travels may take them

Old 08-28-2011, 05:35 AM

12,922 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Hi, Amanda. The intense heat and high humidity have usually broken by then, but some days can still get hot and muggy. You should pack a light jacket or sweater in case of an early blast of autumn air. What kinds of things do you like to do?

Old 08-28-2011, 05:39 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,746 times
It will still be warm (mid-80s), but the humidity should be starting to let up. I'd pack shorts & tees (even the lows will still be high-60s to low-70s).

Lucky for you (well, if it coincides with your visit), Greek Festival runs 15-18 September.

If you browse through some of the threads here you'll find plenty of suggestions for things to do (try the 'enthusiasm and energy' thread), like kayaking, riverside trails, etc.

USC has two homegames the latter half of September and since they're against Navy (17th) & Vandy (24th), it should be pretty easy to find tickets.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:54 AM

541 posts, read 2,138,674 times
If you haven't seen this FB page yet, take a look here: Fort Jackson Leader - Government Organization - Columbia, SC | Facebook

Also, have you looked at your Soldier's BCT Facebook page? Those are a good resource as well.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
to add, I know there is a nice state museum in Columbia, but ( correct me if im wrong ) isnt there a good military museum at the base that may hold some nice historical items/info from SC's past as well? That's been one of the things we've enjoyed the most since moving here, seeing and learning about the state's history not only in the Civil War but also the Revolutionary war as well.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:20 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Late September will generally have warm a dry weather although it can start getting cool at night by that time and it can always rain here. I'd bring shorts, but also slightly warmer clothes if you get cool easily at night.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:19 AM

343 posts, read 1,046,267 times
Being from the Willamette Valley myself: yes, expect to be warm. Even days that locals call "dry" are still kind of muggy to a person from the west coast. Bring your summer clothes.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,072 times
Thank you everyone for all your help!!!

ranger17
Thank you that was so helpful! Yes there is a historical museum on base & we intend to check it out on family day with my soldier.

However, I'll be there Monday-Saturday morning so I want to have plenty of options to do! & I want to give my soldier plenty to choose from!

Ceezer, unfortunately I won't be in Columbia till the 19th!

Lagoon7 thanks! I was wondering when I heard "dry" I am definitely not a fan of mugginess. So I know I need to pack super light & cool!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,674 times
Just to let you know, Soldiers are not allowed off post on Family Day, and most of the BCT companies only allow them off post on graduation day if their spouse or parents sign them out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area