Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 AM

541 posts, read 2,138,674 times

Advertisements

We recently relocated to Columbia from Seattle, WA. and purchased a home in Lake Carolina. We are in need of home maintenance advice as follows:

Air Conditioning Units: In Seattle, a/c is not common, so we are clueless as to maintaining the units. Our current home has two units - one for upstairs and one for down. Do we need to do anything to protect or winterize the units? How often should they be inspected/serviced?

Pest Control: We have the transferable termite bond. Is once per year sufficient for an inspection? Also, is there a need to have someone come and spray for other bugs on a regular basis, or would we be okay spraying on our own with supplies from Home Depot or Lowes etc?

Sprinkler system: I'm guessing it probably doesn't get cold enough here to warrant getting the sprinkler system flushed/winterized? My sister owns a landscaping business back in Seattle and told me to check into that!

Any other suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 08:28 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,430 times
Default From a fellow Lake Carolina resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
We recently relocated to Columbia from Seattle, WA. and purchased a home in Lake Carolina. We are in need of home maintenance advice as follows:

Air Conditioning Units: In Seattle, a/c is not common, so we are clueless as to maintaining the units. Our current home has two units - one for upstairs and one for down. Do we need to do anything to protect or winterize the units? How often should they be inspected/serviced?

Pest Control: We have the transferable termite bond. Is once per year sufficient for an inspection? Also, is there a need to have someone come and spray for other bugs on a regular basis, or would we be okay spraying on our own with supplies from Home Depot or Lowes etc?

Sprinkler system: I'm guessing it probably doesn't get cold enough here to warrant getting the sprinkler system flushed/winterized? My sister owns a landscaping business back in Seattle and told me to check into that!

Any other suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!
Great questions! Like you I moved from up north so I've had to learn a few unique things about living down here. To answer your questions:

(1) On the A/C units, I don't believe you necessarily have to have them inspected on a regular basis, but I would be careful if you have the original builder-grade units (which aren't always the best quality). You could get an annual maintenance/inspection plan, but in my experience some of the HVAC contractors use that as a way to upsell you on unnecessary services/fixes.

What I would recommend is to get a home warranty on all your appliances (including your A/C units), which are about $30-$50/month, so that when something does break down, you're still coming out ahead with the monthly payments and deductible (usually $50-$100) instead of paying thousands of dollars in repair costs. American Home Shield (AHS) is a popular one that many of our friends and family are happy with.

(2) Pest Control: I believe most of the termite inspectors do annual inspection. Contact a reputable pest control firm (e.g., Orkin, Terminix, Clark's (this is a local firm), etc.) to see what plans they have, including other non-termite services. We used to have the full-blown pest services including spraying for other bugs, but we've found it much cheaper just as effective to spray Ortho Home Defense once a quarter or so around the interior and exterior perimeter of the house, plus window/door sills. I will say that being in SC, you may get a few bugs (typically smaller ones) in the house every now and then, no matter how clean you keep things. Being in a hot, humid, subtropical climate means it can be a bit more of a challenge to control bugs, but it's not a big deal.

(3) We've never had to winterize our sprinkler system or other outdoor plumbing fixtures. While we do get cold temperatures in the winter down to 30s and 20s, it rarely goes below that for any extended period of time.

Hope this helps and welcome to neighborhood!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:42 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
1-Regular inspections/maintenence will help prolong the life. Once a year in the spring will do the trick.
2-Once a year inspection is normal. Bug treatment depends on your personal tolerance levels.
3-I don't think you need to, but I've never had a sprinkler so check with a local landscaper.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:18 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,674 times
Thanks for the info! The sellers did include a 1 year home warranty, so I guess we are good for now. The hvac, furnace, and water heater units are only 2 years old, so not too worried about them. Sounds like maintenance won't be too much more than what we were doing before. Again, thanks for the advice!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Thanks for the info! The sellers did include a 1 year home warranty, so I guess we are good for now. The hvac, furnace, and water heater units are only 2 years old, so not too worried about them. Sounds like maintenance won't be too much more than what we were doing before. Again, thanks for the advice!
Your HVAC system will have an intake filter (somewhere in the house) which must be changed frequently, sometimes monthly.

Personally I have an HVAC company come check my system when we go to heat (late fall) then again when we go to AC (late spring) so twice a year. Each visit about $50.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area