Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM

17 posts, read 26,812 times

Advertisements

My husband and our two children, ages 4 & 6 are planning to spend New Years with my sister-in-law in Sumpter. She just moved there ( she's a traveling PT ) so she knows nothing about the town or how to entertain our kids. We are interested in local fun stuff for kids within Sumpter like local animal farms, fun centers, museums, off the beaten path fun. Please give any ideas, we appreciate any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 10:53 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Okay, the first thing is make sure everyone you meet in Sumter knows that you know there's no p in the town's name. Then go to the opera house and Swan Lake.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM

Default Sorry Sumter for the misspelling!!

What is Swan Lake?? Where is it? Sounds interesting.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Swan Lake is out on a road a couple of miles from downtown Sumter. It's a cypress-filled pond that flanks the road. On one side of the road the pond has swans. On the other side is a swamp with a winding boardwalk. Irises are all over the place there, thus the annual Iris Festival, but I don't guess they're blooming now.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 AM

I just went on the website for Swan Lake, this is perfect!! My daughter loves swans. Great suggestion, thanks so much!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 AM

Certainly! Have fun!

Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South4now View Post
What is Swan Lake?? Where is it? Sounds interesting.

If you are listening to the SC twang.. you get "Sumpter" rather than "Someter" which is the correct way to pronounce it....

I dont know if you can just drive on to Shaw AFB anymore.. but if you can it would be neat for them to see the jets.. and I believe their maybe an Airforce Museum on site.. If they are going through drills.. then you can just sit along Hwy 378 and enjoy the show.. Also, check out some of the State Forest and Park if you like the outdoors.. also Lake Santee is not far away.

You may also want to take in Columbia and the Riverbanks Zoo, Edventure, and the State Museum in Columbia as a day trip

Old 11-11-2011, 04:44 PM

That's so funny you mentioned Shaw AFB, a friend of mine who has family close to this area mentioned Shaw AFB also. This is a great option and will check it out. Thanks so much!!

Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South4now View Post
That's so funny you mentioned Shaw AFB
Well, it's kind of hard not to; Shaw *is* Sumter.

My biggest complaint about Sumter is the lack of kid-friendly activities. The two biggest have been mentioned: Swan Lake & the opera house. I enjoy swan lake and they've really made some beautiful improvements over the last few years. Make sure the kids take a couple bags of bread to feed the swans and that will keep them entertained for hours! You can also stop by Dillon Park (North side if the 378 bypass, on the frontage road, next to the SC National Guard post), as they have a paved walking track and also access to a small piece of paved trail, plus swings & a jungle gym.

You won't be able to get on Shaw without a sponsor (someone already on-base that can come pick you up from the gate and stay with you the entire time), but you can see the runway from 378 if they wanted to watch some F16s take off & land.

New Years might be too cold for the kids to enjoy the state park & forest outside of town (past Wedgefield on 261), especially since the trails out there are pretty technical.

However! Congaree National Park (between Sumter & Columbia, then a bit South on 601; it's about 40 minutes from Sumter) has some nice trails, including a raised boardwalk that would take them through the marshes. They might check the calendar of events, because they're always doing things on weekends that are geared towards entertaining kids (unfortunately the guided canoe trips will be out-of-season). They have a small museum-like area indoors, plus a small theater that shows clips/films related to the National Park, and some Jr. Ranger activity books that the kids can take on the trails to help keep them interested (i.e. spot this tree, etc). It's a little out of the way, but it's really nice, plus it's one of our National Parks!

As Woodlands mentioned, they may want to take a day and make a trip to Columbia. Edventure (kid's museum) shares the same parking lot as the State Museum, and then the zoo is just across the river and upstream a bit. There are also several nice parks in the area: just across the bridge from the state museum is the Three Rivers Greenway, which offers a nice paved walking trail along the Congaree River and stretches from West Cola to Cayce; across the river from this, and across Gervais from the museums, is Bicentennial Park and then Granby Park. Finlay Park is beautiful and offers a great cityscape view of downtown Columbia, plus they could then stop by Cromer's for some popcorn, peanuts & candy (Guaranteed worst in town! Don't worry, that's just a joke of a tagline).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area