Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM

60 posts, read 163,328 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Sumter, SC twice (total of 7 years, husband was in military) and am getting ready to move back for a 3rd time (our choice this time because he is retired from military). I enjoy the area, and am looking forward to living there again. It's a short enough drive to Columbia or Florence for some shopping and only 2 hrs from Myrtle Beach and 1 1/2 hrs from Charleston so i'm quite happy there. That being said, if i wasn't married and didn't have children i probably wouldn't be as happy there. There's not much night life and you do have to drive to Columbia/Florence for decent shopping so that would get old if i was younger. Just my 2 cents.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrebelSC View Post
Sometimes it personally drives me crazy all the bad raps that sumter gets. I have lived here all my life, have never left and not realy sure i plan on leaving. Sumter just like any other city including columbia! has its bad parts...the one thing that is hard to find in sumter is so called "street walkers" which are everywhere in downtown columbia. USC is one of the best colleges to attend in the united and i would recomend anyone applying! Especially a new comer wanting to have a degree in IT...Your cost of living in sumter and commuting will astound you. My sister traveled from sumter to columbia everyday for 4 years to go to her class at USC and she saved more money than i did going to online classes....And saving money is key to a college student. Plus! Everything you need is right here. And once you go to USC (columbia campus) if you need lunch you can either stay on campus or walk a few blocks and get something. I have no idea why people paint such a bad picture about sumter for people. Some of the most beutiful places are right here...apparently the ones painting bad pictures have never taken the real time to "see" sumter. If it was bad...the majority of sumters population would not be retired military settling down here....thank you and welcome to sumter!!!!

Sumter has made alot of progress.. Downtown Sumter has made considerable amounts of improvement over the last 10 years and I hear more is in the works. I think the City is sometimes overshadowed by both Columbia and Florence particuliarly if you look at the fact that they "bookend" Sumter.. and control the Sumter media market (i.e. Both Florence and Columbia have their own TV stations major interstates, commercial airports, Amtrak, etc) Both markets have been able to.. though maybe unintentionally type cast Sumter as a backwater big town with a high crime rate and subpar retail and amenities. Florence has been able to portrait itself as a small city, as opposed to a big town.. and Columbia is of course a 'big city' by SC standards. The only time the news from either metro comes to Sumter is when something negative happens though they usually give Shaw AFB good press.

I think that has played out in regional opinions of Sumter atleast from those communties that are larger and nearby. I recall being in Camden, SC ( a small town to the north of Sumter in Kershaw County) where residents were complaining that they didnt want Camden to turn into Sumter. When I asked them what they meant they highlighted negative things that you have read in these threads. Camden has thus more aligned with Columbia more so than Sumter. Sumter is usually held in high regard by most of the smaller regional towns and cities where it is the center of commerce.. Bishopville, Manning, Summerton, Kingstree to name a few.

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-07-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
It's amazing how many people that are not from Sumter, choose to retire and stay here. They must love all the crime, lack of shopping and general unpleasentness that we have here. Or maybe, they love the small town feel, low cost of living, relative proximity to EVERYTHING and the weather, golf and general outdoor activities abound.

Gee......Not sure which it is. (scratching head)

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area