Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM

7 posts, read 11,503 times

Advertisements

I am moving in from out of state with my family soon. We are looking at some neighborhoods off of Mineral Springs in the new high school zone. My question is, is this area planned to be developed due to the new schools going in? My concern is that this area will be come over crowded like other parts of Lexington. Anyone know of the development plans?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil242 View Post
I am moving in from out of state with my family soon. We are looking at some neighborhoods off of Mineral Springs in the new high school zone. My question is, is this area planned to be developed due to the new schools going in? My concern is that this area will be come over crowded like other parts of Lexington. Anyone know of the development plans?

Thanks in advance.
Zoning in Lexington County is relatively weak so you should keep that in mind. I'd say the answer to your question is Yes, but I wouldn't consider Lexington to be "overcrowded".

Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,662 times
I live close to there and don't consider the area to be at all overcrowded. I think a lot of it has to do with your perspective and experience. I moved here from Atlanta and this area seems wide open. I imagine some folks that have lived here all their lives might consider it congested but I see it still has lots of room to grow.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 AM

7 posts, read 11,503 times
I think it is wonderful as well. My concern is that once schools come in, more development follows and lately it seems as though home builders just try to cram as many houses as they can onto an acre of land. Just curious if anyone knows if the Corley Mill area is the next area for development.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
I'm 1200 miles away, but I have family pretty close to the lake and I used to drive Corley Mill frequently. Out here in Austin, quite a number of planned new school builds have been put on hold since the snafu of '08. It's a bit of the chicken and egg question as to the development of schools BEFORE homes or vice versa. Will these new schools alleviate current overcrowding or are they being built in anticipation of NEW development? Has the schedule changed? While new development has recovered in many areas, I don't expect it to go 'gangbusters' like 2000-2006 any time soon.

IMO, Corley Mill Rd would need some serious upgrading to sustain any significant increase in traffic as a result of new development. That was a fun/dangerous/too fast stretch of road FORTY years ago...can't imagine what it drives like nowadays.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I'm 1200 miles away, but I have family pretty close to the lake and I used to drive Corley Mill frequently. Out here in Austin, quite a number of planned new school builds have been put on hold since the snafu of '08. It's a bit of the chicken and egg question as to the development of schools BEFORE homes or vice versa. Will these new schools alleviate current overcrowding or are they being built in anticipation of NEW development? Has the schedule changed? While new development has recovered in many areas, I don't expect it to go 'gangbusters' like 2000-2006 any time soon.

IMO, Corley Mill Rd would need some serious upgrading to sustain any significant increase in traffic as a result of new development. That was a fun/dangerous/too fast stretch of road FORTY years ago...can't imagine what it drives like nowadays.
The new schools were needed. Lexington Middle and Pleasant Hill Middle both had around 1000 students and the opening of Meadow Glen Middle this year on that side of town put every middle school somewhere between 600-800, which is a lot better for that grade range.

River Bluff HS that opens next year is needed as well. Lexington HS has around 3300 students. That's too big, the opening will drop Lex HS back to around the 1800 range.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
The new schools were needed. Lexington Middle and Pleasant Hill Middle both had around 1000 students and the opening of Meadow Glen Middle this year on that side of town put every middle school somewhere between 600-800, which is a lot better for that grade range.

River Bluff HS that opens next year is needed as well. Lexington HS has around 3300 students. That's too big, the opening will drop Lex HS back to around the 1800 range.
And it will help traffic around downtown.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post

Wow...3300 at one school! Is River Bluff located to take care of students from the surrounding area or was it built in anticipation of growth closer to it? Sometimes, it's just a matter of 'catch up'. For example, the driveway for a new ES that opened this fall is directly across the street from an ES that opened just 2 years ago(in our neighborhood); but, the MS and HS were put on hold for another year(the entire tri-fecta was delayed two years, as was the new neighborhood surrounding it). Just the one neighborhood is planned to contain 450 homes...with plenty of others around it.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 AM

611 posts, read 921,234 times
To echo waccamatt's comments:

Lexington has very weak zoning, which is a plus or minus depending on your personal preferences. If you buy in a neighborhood out there with lots of undeveloped parcels nearby, you have little to no assurance as to what (if anything) will ever be built there. As a general rule here, the development follows new schools, so I'd plan on seeing a lot more development in that area over the next decade.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
After reading this I realized I live in East Lexington.....LOL

I see very little new construction off of Mineral Springs Road with the exception of the last 1/2 mile or so before it ends at Sunset (Rte 378). I do see tons of new home (all type) construction off Corley Mill Road. That road is in serious need of widening from Rte 378 to Rte 6.

I do not know the East Lexington area up toward the lake that well. The part that will attend River Bluff HS.

Myself, I would have named them Lexington High West (present) and Lexington High East (River Bluff).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area