Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times

Advertisements

Urban planners on the Urban Land Institute panel that's in Columbia this week, in their presentation of the results of their study on connecting Columbia's urban districts, including panelists from Charleston and San Francisco, lauded Columbia's assets this morning: its original grid, its rivers, and its universities. The San Francisco panelist said there is activity here, but that it is happening in pockets spread across the city with no easily navigable connections. We already knew that, right?

A developer from Charleston on the panel said that by connecting the greenway system to parks and historic districts, the city could surpass any other in the southeast in eco-tourism. The overall picture I got from the strongly credentialed panel is that Columbia is incredibly blessed by its natural environment, original layout and status as a university city.

They laid out some immediate, short-term, intermediate-term and long-term solutions to connecting the city's many nodes. The panelist from San Francisco pointed to Assembly and Gervais as an obvious spot to transform, and he also mentioned Taylor and Hamptom, Bull and Pickens (or maybe Marion?) and a few other parallel streets as focal areas for tying districts together as opposed to dividing them.

One resounding factor that got a lot of attention is the city's sheer size. It's big. The Innovista district district alone was mentioned as being so big that lots of development there that would seem huge in other cities might not seem very transformational in Columbia overall. One solution suggested is to focus on the parcels we want developed as soon as possible and go from there.

I think the current mayor and city council have resolved to act and not let recommendations collect cob-webs. Citizens' involvement will be paramount in the transformative era before us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 AM

Speaking of which... the reconfiguration of Gervais Street in the Vista has begun. They are breaking up the sidewalks near intersections and have drawn the outlines of the new pedestrian landings that will create a traffic-calming feel to the corridor.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Urban planners on the Urban Land Institute panel that's in Columbia this week, in their presentation of the results of their study on connecting Columbia's urban districts, including panelists from Charleston and San Francisco, lauded Columbia's assets this morning: its original grid, its rivers, and its universities. The San Francisco panelist said there is activity here, but that it is happening in pockets spread across the city with no easily navigable connections. We already knew that, right?

A developer from Charleston on the panel said that by connecting the greenway system to parks and historic districts, the city could surpass any other in the southeast in eco-tourism. The overall picture I got from the strongly credentialed panel is that Columbia is incredibly blessed by its natural environment, original layout and status as a university city.

They laid out some immediate, short-term, intermediate-term and long-term solutions to
connecting the city's many nodes. The panelist from San Francisco pointed to Assembly
and Gervais as an obvious spot to transform, and he also mentioned Taylor and Hamptom,
Bull and Pickens (or maybe Marion?) and a few other parallel streets as focal areas for
tying districts together as opposed to dividing them.

One resounding factor that got a lot of attention is the city's sheer size. It's big. The
Innovista district district alone was mentioned as being so big that lots of development
there that would seem huge in other cities might not seem very transformational in
Columbia overall. One solution suggested is to focus on the
parcels we want developed as soon as possible and go from there.

I think the current mayor and city council have resolved to act and not let
recommendations collect cob-webs. Citizens' involvement will be paramount in the
transformative era before us.
Interesting, can't count the number of times the size of downtown Columbia has been
discussed while detractors claim "our city is big too". The footprint is large and has many
opportunities to connect the districts. Hope the city moves in that direction. I think some
of the biggest impact will come if land on Assembly is developed and when all of the
housing tops out. Even though most buildings are in the 4 story range, from Assembly,
they will be visible which makes the area look more dense. The new Moore School and
associated road improvements will also tie each side of Assembly together. Good to see a
national group look at the city as a whole rather than looking at sidewalks and making
silly statements about cracks.

Speaking of sidewalks, glad to to see the Gervais improvements.

Cdata, are there any materials that the group published?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM

Materials on their findings about Columbia? I'm not aware of any.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM

Here's the State Newspaper's take on it.

COLUMBIA SC - Columbia needs a redevelopment commission to create vibrant urban core, national experts advise - Need-To-Map - TheState.com

Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
But solutions come down to the people who make them, said former Pittsburgh, Pa., mayor Tom Murphy. “It’s always about leadership,” Murphy said. “It’s always about who’s willing to take the risks.

Until Columbia goes to a "fulltime" mayor, in charge, the buck stops here, do not re-elect me if not happy, I serve you and you alone, I am in charge, etc. form of government, Columbia will always be at the "mercy" of others like USC, US Army, SC State Government, big business, etc. You name it.

Mayor Benjamin does a good job but given the "power", I expect he could do "great" things.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
But solutions come down to the people who make them, said former Pittsburgh, Pa., mayor Tom Murphy. “It’s always about leadership,” Murphy said. “It’s always about who’s willing to take the risks.

Until Columbia goes to a "fulltime" mayor, in charge, the buck stops here, do not re-elect me if not happy, I serve you and you alone, I am in charge, etc. form of government, Columbia will always be at the "mercy" of others like USC, US Army, SC State Government, big business, etc. You name it.

Mayor Benjamin does a good job but given the "power", I expect he could do "great" things.
At least the mayor and every member of city council attended all the sessions. They seem to be on the same page on this, as well as on the same page with the leaders who organized the conference. Lots of cities that claim they have arrived have the council-mayor form of government.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 PM

A Reality Check is coming to the Midlands. This should be fun.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.co...wth-plan?rss=0

Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 AM

258 posts, read 468,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
A Reality Check is coming to the Midlands. This should be fun.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Here's The State's take on it....

COLUMBIA, SC: ‘Midlands Reality Check’ aims to plan for growth by choice not chance | Business | The State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area