Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 AM

22 posts, read 25,016 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating purchasing a summer home in what's listed as Gaston, S. Congaree and some other area (depending on which map you look at). But basically the home is located on Princeton Rd near Church St.
I can't find any specific info for the area so was wondering if any of you could help. Just trying to get a feel for the area including crime, shopping and importantly how far CAE airport is.
And more importantly being of Asian decent will my family get stared at when we go shopping?
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,573,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushmoto View Post
I'm contemplating purchasing a summer home in what's listed as Gaston, S. Congaree and some other area (depending on which map you look at). But basically the home is located on Princeton Rd near Church St.
I can't find any specific info for the area so was wondering if any of you could help. Just trying to get a feel for the area including crime, shopping and importantly how far CAE airport is.
And more importantly being of Asian decent will my family get stared at when we go shopping?
Thanks for any info.
I guess the first question is why you would want to purchase a summer home in what is arguably the ugliest part of the metro (in terms of landscape). There is lots of sand, scrub pines and scrub oaks, it's far from shopping and nightlife and it doesn't seem like it would hold much draw as a place for a summer home. There are much more beautiful parts of the Columbia area.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I guess the first question is why you would want to purchase a summer home in what is arguably the ugliest part of the metro (in terms of landscape). There is lots of sand, scrub pines and scrub oaks, it's far from shopping and nightlife and it doesn't seem like it would hold much draw as a place for a summer home. There are much more beautiful parts of the Columbia area.
LOL
Honestly I haven't been to Charlotte. Was just surfing the web & came across a listing. At this point looking for an area not in the flight path of the airport & it seems to fit that bill.
If you can offer any decent neighborhoods that won't cost me an arm & leg I'd appreciate it.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
LOL
Honestly I haven't been to Charlotte. Was just surfing the web & came across a listing. At this point looking for an area not in the flight path of the airport & it seems to fit that bill.
If you can offer any decent neighborhoods that won't cost me an arm & leg I'd appreciate it.
What are you looking for other than not being in the flight path of the airport? Price range, amenities, nearby attractions. You're not giving us much to go on.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 PM

I'm looking in the $100K range. Have a 7 & 8 y/o so any parks, playgrounds &/or pools within a 15 min drive would be cool.
Night life.... not a real concern. Anything within a 15-20 min drive is good enough for me.
Thx again.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,379,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post

That was my first thought... If you want a summer home in the Midlands.. maybe consider Lake Murray on out on the rural side or even Lake Monticello in Fairfield County... Stuff should be pretty reasonable out there....

Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I'm looking in the $100K range. Have a 7 & 8 y/o so any parks, playgrounds &/or pools within a 15 min drive would be cool.
Night life.... not a real concern. Anything within a 15-20 min drive is good enough for me.
Thx again.
I'd look in the Cedar Creek area of Northern Richland County - it is a much more aesthetically pleasing environment and within a 15 minute drive of parks, etc. Peak in NW Richland/Lexington Counties is a possibility and affordable if you aren't too close to Lake Murray. Ridgeway, in Fairfield County, just north of the Richland County line and close to Lake Wateree is a possibility, too. Good luck. If you want to live in town you could find a number of condo or townhouse options in that price range and be much closer to parks. Wouldn't it be nice if your kids could walk to a park? Also, if you're in town the neighborhoods will be much more diverse.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,536,713 times
Quote:
LOL
Honestly I haven't been to Charlotte.
I didn't get the reference to Charlotte. Are you getting Gaston, SC and Gastonia, NC mixed up? Gastonia is not too far from Charlotte.

I live in Columbia and if I could afford a summer home somewhere, it would be a long way from the Carolinas and their heat. It gets double hot here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area