Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,404 times

Advertisements

HI Everyone,

My husband may be transferred to Columbia in the next year. His business is a touch south of the junction between 26 and 77.

About us- early 40's and two elementary age kiddos.

Needs- Good schools and a decent (30 min or less) commute for DH, safe area-

Also- what are the job outlooks for High School Special Ed/ Science teachers? (for me )

Our housing budget would be up to $275,000

Where should I start looking???

And I will probably have a million more questions. Sorry in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupti View Post
HI Everyone,

My husband may be transferred to Columbia in the next year. His business is a touch south of the junction between 26 and 77.

About us- early 40's and two elementary age kiddos.

Needs- Good schools and a decent (30 min or less) commute for DH, safe area-

Also- what are the job outlooks for High School Special Ed/ Science teachers? (for me )

Our housing budget would be up to $275,000

Where should I start looking???

And I will probably have a million more questions. Sorry in advance!
What amenities do you like to have close to home aside from the schools? If it were me in that budget I'd choose Shandon. The schools are good with AC Moore, Hand and Dreher and it's very convenient to shopping and restaurants along with where your husband will be working.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:20 PM

171 posts, read 233,134 times
AC Moore Elementary gets a rating of 4 on Great Schools, which is a terrible ranking. I believe there are better options in NE Columbia, and Lexington that meet their 30 minutes or less commute requirement. However, as it has been mentioned before, it depends if they want an older home - Shandon or Rosewood Or something 20 years and under - parts of Lexington and NE Columbia as well as any other requirements besides good schools.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:53 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
My suggestion to get all you want and a reasonable commute would be Lexington.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:16 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,264,145 times
Definitely Lexington. Get into Lexington 1 schools, you can find plenty of house for $275,000 with low taxes and lower crime and a great family friendly atmosphere. It can be tough to get a teaching job in that district but if you have experience and can interview well you can get in.

With elementary aged children I would recommend trying to get in either Midway or New Providence Elementary school. Both are top notch.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:37 AM

611 posts, read 920,699 times
If you like the suburban feel: Lexington.

Forest Acres & the East Columbia area could be doable on your budget but you'll get less house for your money than you will out in Lexington. Flip side is that you're a lot closer to "stuff to do".

Old 05-22-2015, 08:54 AM

3 posts, read 2,404 times
Not picky about age of the house (don't want a total fixer upper but don't need brand new construction either). Not knowing a ton about Columbia in general I suspect we would learn more towards suburbia as it is what we are used to but not married to the the idea.

We are currently in the suburbs of Dallas but bc of geography and weather, are looking forward to getting the kids outside- parks, lakes, camping, fishing, hiking, things to do!

Reasonable access to restaurants, shopping

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will start exploring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area