Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 6,102 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move back to SC from London. I have lived abroad for seven years and am excited to be planning a move back home.

I was raised in Lexington (don't want to live there again) and graduated from USC. My husband and I have three children 8,5,and 2. We absolutely need space and a big yard. I would like to look into the Irmo area. Does anyone have any opinions on the older neighborhoods there such as Coldstream, Quail Valley, Murraywood? Are these areas where families live? Are they slowly dying neighborhoods? I am quite out of the loop. I haven't lived in SC since 2006. I have visited but would still like an idea from the locals as to how the area is doing.

Schools aren't a major issue because we homeschool, but would still like to be close to good local schools. Does anyone know what the homeschool community is like there?

We probably wouldn't spend more than 200K on a home.

Also my husband is English, anyone know what the ex-pat community is like there?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 AM

611 posts, read 921,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesh View Post
I am planning to move back to SC from London. I have lived abroad for seven years and am excited to be planning a move back home.

I was raised in Lexington (don't want to live there again) and graduated from USC. My husband and I have three children 8,5,and 2. We absolutely need space and a big yard. I would like to look into the Irmo area. Does anyone have any opinions on the older neighborhoods there such as Coldstream, Quail Valley, Murraywood? Are these areas where families live? Are they slowly dying neighborhoods? I am quite out of the loop. I haven't lived in SC since 2006. I have visited but would still like an idea from the locals as to how the area is doing.

Schools aren't a major issue because we homeschool, but would still like to be close to good local schools. Does anyone know what the homeschool community is like there?

We probably wouldn't spend more than 200K on a home.

Also my husband is English, anyone know what the ex-pat community is like there?

Thanks in advance
Welcome home!

I can't speak with much authority about those neighborhoods in particular, but the Irmo area as a whole is still doing well.

I can tell you that in the Harbison corridor, we now have the "British Bulldog Pub", and they show English soccer and rugby. Between that, and the **** & Bull pub down on Rosewood, I'm sure he'll find some ex-pats getting together to watch matches on TV.

Highly recommend playing with the "Map Search" function on ColaMLS.com - MLS Real Estate for Greater Columbia South Carolina to get a good idea of the houses available and pricepoints.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 6,102 times
Thanks for the info. Ah pub life, would be nice to have that option in Cola too.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
There's plenty of both beer and English accents around town.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Welcome home!

I can't speak with much authority about those neighborhoods in particular, but the Irmo area as a whole is still doing well.

I can tell you that in the Harbison corridor, we now have the "British Bulldog Pub", and they show English soccer and rugby. Between that, and the **** & Bull pub down on Rosewood, I'm sure he'll find some ex-pats getting together to watch matches on TV.

Highly recommend playing with the "Map Search" function on ColaMLS.com - MLS Real Estate for Greater Columbia South Carolina to get a good idea of the houses available and pricepoints.

This! ^ I couldn't help but have the British Bulldog Pub pop into my head after reading your post.

I actually grew up in Coldstream, on Wilton Hill Rd. I drove by there yesterday for old times sake and was rather surprised at how the neighborhood has held up. People were out tending to their yards/gardens and its still a great area in my opinion, but then again, it holds sentimental value for me. If you can get over the 70's looks of the homes then I think you'll be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area