Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:54 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

I think Columbia is about to get it right.

COLUMBIA, SC: Columbia City Council tries again with a homeless plan | Local News | The State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:18 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I think your right. I know you and I have gone back and forth here on the issue but after sitting in on the meeting last night and hearing more from those who were pushing back on the plan, I realized they are not un happy with the overall concept of the plan, they are unhappy with the rhetoric that it was presented with. Not sure if you were there but at one point in the meeting Councilman Runyan took a point to address how that rhetoric was mis interpreted to the public and took full responsibility for that. He also went on to re assure those in the crowd that this is in no way a tool to confine the homeless and will not whatsoever infringe on the civil liberties of the homeless. I know none of the media outlets reported that but he gained a big round of applause from many of those who have been speaking against him. It just made me realize that we all want the same thing and are all more on the same page on this issue than we think and collaborating to solve the issue is where this needs to go from here and I think that train left the station last night.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I think your right. I know you and I have gone back and forth here on the issue but after sitting in on the meeting last night and hearing more from those who were pushing back on the plan, I realized they are not un happy with the overall concept of the plan, they are unhappy with the rhetoric that it was presented with. Not sure if you were there but at one point in the meeting Councilman Runyan took a point to address how that rhetoric was mis interpreted to the public and took full responsibility for that. He also went on to re assure those in the crowd that this is in no way a tool to confine the homeless and will not whatsoever infringe on the civil liberties of the homeless. I know none of the media outlets reported that but he gained a big round of applause from many of those who have been speaking against him. It just made me realize that we all want the same thing and are all more on the same page on this issue than we think and collaborating to solve the issue is where this needs to go from here and I think that train left the station last night.
I tried giving you a reputation point, but it said I must spread my reputation points around before giving you another one. I don't know when I gave you one. Anyway, maybe someone else will inspire me to give them a reputation point and I'll try to remember to revisit your comment later to rep you. I wasn't there last night, but I've been talking and emailing a lot behind the scenes with people in the know and figured there would be a clarification moment at the meeting.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM

221 posts, read 247,858 times
I just got a reputation point for this thread. was that you data? LOL. I thought you guys were going to let this thread drop down but you keep bumping it right back to the top and the lurkers out there see it and the decide to move to chucktown or g vegas. LOL

Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush6317 View Post
I just got a reputation point for this thread. was that you data? LOL. I thought you guys were going to let this thread drop down but you keep bumping it right back to the top and the lurkers out there see it and the decide to move to chucktown or g vegas. LOL
We're not scared.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:09 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush6317 View Post
I don't think anyone who's that easily moved by an internet message board thread discussing an issue so common in cities of any size is a good addition to Columbia or any city for that matter.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
The point (I think) is that even though some of them indeed are dirty, smelly, not working, pan-handling and doing all the things some say they are. They don't necessarily WANT to be helped in the way that the city wants to help them.

Some of them just see what they are doing as "living their lives free." The real issue is, does the city have the right to remove them from sight just because it wants to.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The point (I think) is that even though some of them indeed are dirty, smelly, not working, pan-handling and doing all the things some say they are. They don't necessarily WANT to be helped in the way that the city wants to help them.

Some of them just see what they are doing as "living their lives free." The real issue is, does the city have the right to remove them from sight just because it wants to.
If a homeless person with mental illness refuses help because they truly do not know any better, that is one thing and it is my hope that they eventually get the help they need by whoever it maybe. But if someone who is fully capable of not living on the streets and is not down on their luck knowingly chooses to refuse help and continue to urinate, camp, and panhandle in public just because they want to "live free" is a disgrace and should be a shamed of themselves. I have all the sympathy in the world for someone forced to live on the streets due to illness or bad luck but NONE WHATSOEVER for someone who is wasting the life he or she was given to mooch off of everyone else while committing crimes that everyone else is arrested for. Shame on them.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

They're never going to reach every homeless person.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
If a homeless person with mental illness refuses help because they truly do not know any better, that is one thing and it is my hope that they eventually get the help they need by whoever it maybe. But if someone who is fully capable of not living on the streets and is not down on their luck knowingly chooses to refuse help and continue to urinate, camp, and panhandle in public just because they want to "live free" is a disgrace and should be a shamed of themselves. I have all the sympathy in the world for someone forced to live on the streets due to illness or bad luck but NONE WHATSOEVER for someone who is wasting the life he or she was given to mooch off of everyone else while committing crimes that everyone else is arrested for. Shame on them.
I don't think they care about your sense of "shame."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area