Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 PM

730 posts, read 1,403,946 times

Advertisements

Many parents are upset over the "Grading for Learning" grading policy that was implemented district wide this year. It was first piloted in certain classes last year. There is a huge board meeting tonight and you can't get anywhere near the district office off US 1 for the cars. There is even a Facebook group out there very critical of the district and it's higher ups.

Any Lex 1 parents on here? Thoughts?

Last edited by Tiger17; 10-15-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:17 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,857,700 times
what exactly is the policy out of curiosity. what does it look like?

Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM

In Grading for Learning, homework/class work grades do not count towards final grades, these are formative assignments. Only summative assignments (tests, projects, papers) count. Formative assignments are given either a 1, 2, 3, or 4. 1 being nothing and 4 showing mastery. Students with 3s and 4s may retake bad summative assignments. 1s and 2s have to be redone until a 3 or 4 is achieved, if not, the student can not retake the summative assignment. Students also cannot receive a grade lower than a 55, even if they didn't do the summative assignment.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:10 AM

13 posts, read 16,327 times
Default Wow

Now I know why the parents are upset. I pray they get somewhere with the objections to it, but history indicates they probably won't. I would expect something like this in California, New York or Illinois but not South Carolina.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:46 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,248,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
In Grading for Learning, homework/class work grades do not count towards final grades, these are formative assignments. Only summative assignments (tests, projects, papers) count. Formative assignments are given either a 1, 2, 3, or 4. 1 being nothing and 4 showing mastery. Students with 3s and 4s may retake bad summative assignments. 1s and 2s have to be redone until a 3 or 4 is achieved, if not, the student can not retake the summative assignment. Students also cannot receive a grade lower than a 55, even if they didn't do the summative assignment.
Sounds to me like it encourages kids to learn from their mistakes instead of just giving them an F and moving on to the next thing. I think it sounds like a good idea.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,683,012 times
I think part of this is to make grades more realistic based on testing versus subjective things like class participation, all homework complete, all papers turned in, they smile nice, good teeth, they are friendly, etc. I also think such testing could hold the teachers/school administrators more accountable, like can your students pass this math test or not? Most teachers/administrators are not going to like being held accountable.

Standardized testing anyone? Try that one on the teachers/administrators and see the push back you get.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:38 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,654,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Sounds to me like it encourages kids to learn from their mistakes instead of just giving them an F and moving on to the next thing. I think it sounds like a good idea.
This is what I'm thinking.... Also SC needs to do something to improve education and lately we seem to be pulling it off. With Charter Schools, AP classes, etc. Heck some kids are graduating high school now with an Associates degree! SC needs to do all they can to keep kids in the class and ACTUALLY learning. A lot of times, you can just go through the motions and still pass and get A's and B's.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 PM

From what I gather, parents feel the no grade lower than 55 thing is lowering the standards and encourages slacking off. Example I heard was a student can get a good grade, then slack off and do nothing (creating off-task behavior and disruption), and still pass the class with a grade in the 70s. And with the formatives not counting, it hurts students that do not test well and use other assignments to help compensate.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,683,012 times
Testing like SAT's? But they showed up on time, smiled, made nice.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 AM

14 posts, read 15,172 times
I think this would work for kids that want to learn, but like someone else said, it appears pretty easy for less dedicated students to pull off a passing grade. Kids are clever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area