Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,573 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Columbia to start a new life. Currently live in eastern Kentucky (butthole of the state). One of my best friends already lives in Columbia, likes the city, and only had positive things to say about it. However, If I do move where would be a good neighborhood to shoot for? I'm looking to rent a house or apartment and want to avoid living in a bad or dangerous neighborhood. So, whats the neighborhoods i should avoid and the ones i should try to get to?

Also, what about jobs? Hows the market there for them? My qualifications are rather low I have extensive experience as a security officer and i have a certification (Comptia A+) for computer repair. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
What's your price range? There are lots of neighborhoods around the city and metro with varying rental rates. I'd check Craigslist for technical support and security jobs just to get a feel for the number available and for how the ads read.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Do you know what part of town you'll be working in?

Old 12-01-2013, 09:47 AM

43 posts, read 170,252 times
I have recently interviewed for a position at USC and it is looking promising that I will be moving there in the next few weeks. Unfortunately, I will have to do much of my rental search online. I was hoping people with personal knowledge of the area can give me some guidance. I have been doing searches and found a lot of information but its so easy to be mislead by online info. I am looking for a place no more than $650 a month that is close to the university but not surrounded by undergrads. I dont mind a 15 minute commute but not much more than that. Obviously a safe neighborhood would be great.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 AM

There are deals near the university like detached garage apartments and apartments with their own stairwells in the "upstairs" of houses. Those deals are the most likely to rent for only around $650. The same type deals can be found throughout the city within quick commuting distance to the university.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Nerd Wallet Finance says three of the best counties in South Carolina for landing a job are in the Columbia MSA. They rank Lexington #1. That's not surprising since such a huge percentage of Lexington County's workforce works in Columbia or Richland County. Richland ranks right behind Greenville County at number 5. Kershaw County, Columbia's other next door neighbor, is in there somewhere.

The Best Places in South Carolina for Job Seekers

Old 12-05-2013, 07:43 AM

43 posts, read 170,252 times
Well, I got the job! So I will be moving to South Carolina in the next couple of weeks. Still looking for rentals online and found that many of the apartment complexes have mixed reviews could anyone tell me what they think of the following rental properties:

- The Hollows
- Lake Shore Village
- Hunt Club Village

Your help is so appreciated!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
Congrats on the job and Welcome to Columbia!

I am relatively unfamiliar with these communities but the areas they are in are all fairly good areas but may be a little far from the University. I would take a look also at Rivergate on Bentley Dr, that is off of Greystone, no more than 10 mins from Downtown affordable and nice, I had a friend that lived there for a while before he moved away and they have tennis courts, pool, hot tub, etc and is on the Broad River. If I didnt live downtown that would be my first choice. Other good places there are Charbonneau, Broad River Township.

Good luck on the search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area