Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times

Advertisements

With less than a week away, we start off another year with one of the biggest events in Columbia- Gamecock football. It's the most wonderful time of the year and a time to represent our university, our city and our state. Here's an article that describes how far our beloved Gamecocks have come:

14 years later, Gamecocks' "culture change" is complete - Post and Courier

Go Gamecocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:48 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
And, how I wish I could be there for all the excitement of the opening football game on the new SEC Network! Think they'll ever be an ACC Network? Nah, probably not.

GO GAMECOCKS!!!

Old 08-22-2014, 02:05 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
I may be a Badger at heart esp after just moving back up to WI; but i'll have to say (barring another bowl game between the 2 lol) i'd like to see USC do well. In my 5+ years in the Cola area, i grew to enjoy Spurrier's interviews and watching his coaching style. Not sure if this year's team is actually better then last year's to try and make a Nat'l title run, but best of luck!

Old 08-22-2014, 03:08 PM

I think its awesome how the SEC network is going to open here in Columbia. Great exposure and another "first" under Spurrier. In all honesty I think I've heard something about the ACC trying to get a network for themselves in the coming years... Either way, SEC > ACC.

ranger17- I feel the same. This years team probably isn't better than last years team, but the fact that this Gamecock team is flying under the radar with players that aren't star studded like J.D. Clowney. There isn't hype like last year. My neighbor brought up a good point as he said that Tennessee years ago couldn't win the national championship with Peyton Manning, yet, the year after he left, Tennessee was able to capture the title without the star player. Where in Wisconsin are you? My dad's old college roommate at USC writes for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:15 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I think its awesome how the SEC network is going to open here in Columbia. Great exposure and another "first" under Spurrier. In all honesty I think I've heard something about the ACC trying to get a network for themselves in the coming years... Either way, SEC > ACC.

ranger17- I feel the same. This years team probably isn't better than last years team, but the fact that this Gamecock team is flying under the radar with players that aren't star studded like J.D. Clowney. There isn't hype like last year. My neighbor brought up a good point as he said that Tennessee years ago couldn't win the national championship with Peyton Manning, yet, the year after he left, Tennessee was able to capture the title without the star player. Where in Wisconsin are you? My dad's old college roommate at USC writes for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Yeah a lot can play into a title run: favorable schedule, avoid injuries, strong play from the second tier players to support the stars, the right match-up each week, and even a little luck.

We just moved back to the Madison area this past week, where we were originally from. Loved our 5 yrs in SC (Chapin) and plenty of things we'll miss, but the grandbaby back home was the final push to get us back to the frozen tundra lol.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:38 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Tickets just came in the mail. And, the article is right, the football team (and entire university) is a world away from 15 years ago.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
The Gamecocks come to Lexington this year.. y'all are going to wax us in football. SC should be pretty good this year and might win the SEC. Never count Saban thou. Saban is a football genius. This could be SC's best year ever thou in football.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:01 PM

243 posts, read 283,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post

This year's team doesn't (yet) have the star power that last years team had but if we get solid play from the DEs and CBs we have a chance to be as good if not better than last year. If we can keep Davis and Wilds healthy all year (along with David Williams and Shon Carson) I don't think the run game will take too much of a step back even without Connor running from the QB position. I think Dylan Thompson is going to give the WR/TEs more chances to make/extend plays after the catch (Shaw was late/slow getting the ball to the receivers a lot which limited what they were able to do after the catch). Guys like Shaq Roland and Pharoh Cooper could have huge years this season.

Our LBing corps has the potential to be amazing in my opinion and our DTs should be pretty good with a lot of older guys out there. For the first time in a long time we aren't stacked at DE but I think our other players on defense should be able to step up and take some of the pressure off them. The CB position worries me due to lack of depth and experience...the freshmen could be really good it will just depend on how quickly they can get acclimated to the college game. Hopefully our returning experience at safety will help take some of the pressure off of the CBs.

As far as special teams go I just hope that we have something that even remotely resembles a college coverage unit and punter.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
The SEC Network analysts are predicting a strong season for Carolina, hope they are right.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Yeah a lot can play into a title run: favorable schedule, avoid injuries, strong play from the second tier players to support the stars, the right match-up each week, and even a little luck.

We just moved back to the Madison area this past week, where we were originally from. Loved our 5 yrs in SC (Chapin) and plenty of things we'll miss, but the grandbaby back home was the final push to get us back to the frozen tundra lol.
Frozen tundra lol You can always come down during the fall/wintertime for a ball game and get away from the arctic like temperatures in WI. My girlfriend does a lot of work in Madison (its where her company is based) and she said it's a real nice town. Reminds her a bit of Columbia except a tad smaller and a pretty liberal city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
The Gamecocks come to Lexington this year.. y'all are going to wax us in football. SC should be pretty good this year and might win the SEC. Never count Saban thou. Saban is a football genius. This could be SC's best year ever thou in football.
I've made the trip to Lexington once and I think y'all have a really decent stadium. One of my favorites. KY will be on the upswing and luckily the Gamecocks are better right now, but you never know in the SEC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock303 View Post
This year's team doesn't (yet) have the star power that last years team had but if we get solid play from the DEs and CBs we have a chance to be as good if not better than last year. If we can keep Davis and Wilds healthy all year (along with David Williams and Shon Carson) I don't think the run game will take too much of a step back even without Connor running from the QB position. I think Dylan Thompson is going to give the WR/TEs more chances to make/extend plays after the catch (Shaw was late/slow getting the ball to the receivers a lot which limited what they were able to do after the catch). Guys like Shaq Roland and Pharoh Cooper could have huge years this season.

Our LBing corps has the potential to be amazing in my opinion and our DTs should be pretty good with a lot of older guys out there. For the first time in a long time we aren't stacked at DE but I think our other players on defense should be able to step up and take some of the pressure off them. The CB position worries me due to lack of depth and experience...the freshmen could be really good it will just depend on how quickly they can get acclimated to the college game. Hopefully our returning experience at safety will help take some of the pressure off of the CBs.

As far as special teams go I just hope that we have something that even remotely resembles a college coverage unit and punter.
I think English and Dixon will be just fine at the DE position. I agree in that our LB's will be near elite, if not already elite by seasons end. They have that nasty attitude, especially #8 Kaiwan Lewis that I like to see out of Linebackers.

One thing I'm concerned about, like you, it the CB position. I am not crazy AT ALL about having Brison Williams at corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
The SEC Network analysts are predicting a strong season for Carolina, hope they are right.
I managed to record most of this show where they featured SC. I didn't catch the very end when they did the predictions of SC's schedule. I saw they had us losing to Auburn but what did they say about the rest of the schedule?

I can't stand Auburn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area