Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:27 PM

258 posts, read 468,389 times

Advertisements

Cities With The Best Job Prospects - In Photos: The Best And Worst Cities For Jobs This Summer (2015) - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 07:40 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,562 times
That's fantastic news. Tied with Seattle, that's first-tier company to be sure.

A 31% gain in employment will, more than anything, retain young professionals and further our work in creating the type of city we all want Columbia to become.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:01 PM

12,919 posts, read 18,765,744 times
I was trying to figure out the difference in that list and this one.

Smaller Stars: The Best Small And Medium-Size Cities For Jobs 2015

The difference is that the list Columbia is on is for summer 2015, not for the whole year, I guess.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:12 PM

171 posts, read 233,324 times
This is a joke, right? I'm not trying to be a troll or cause a fuss, but honestly, I'm not seeing Columbia as a hot job market like DC or Atlanta or some Florida metros. If it is based of pure number of jobs, maybe. However, I'm not seeing where Columbia is offering the high paying professional jobs that other top 10 metros offer, just lower-paying hourly jobs like the ones at the Amazon warehouse and such.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:28 PM

678 posts, read 800,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_gal View Post
This is a joke, right? I'm not trying to be a troll or cause a fuss, but honestly, I'm not seeing Columbia as a hot job market like DC or Atlanta or some Florida metros. If it is based of pure number of jobs, maybe. However, I'm not seeing where Columbia is offering the high paying professional jobs that other top 10 metros offer, just lower-paying hourly jobs like the ones at the Amazon warehouse and such.
Yeah but many of those top 10 metros coke with either insane housing prices (say in DC) and/or crazy traffic with mostly suburb living (ATL). That higher salary will get sucked away quick. Suburbs in really large cities are even more annoying because it's like it takes forever to even go to the city. I used to see dating profiles where people in atl would say please don't message me if you live outside the perimeter.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:44 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,562 times
Quote:
Forbes isn't known for making joke lists. And what Florida metro is in the same job league as DC?!

My LinkedIn has been full of job postings for IT in Columbia lately. There is a lot more depth to the job market here than hourly work at Amazon.

Last edited by SCxpBrussel; 06-16-2015 at 02:54 AM..

Old 06-16-2015, 03:34 AM

12,919 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Actually, DC's job market is way down compared to what it was, and the list reflects this summer compared to last summer.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:45 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
This list is for small and midsized metros, not large metros along the lines of Atlanta and DC.

With state government, a plethora of banks and insurance companies, and USC, Columbia certainly offers more than low hourly wage jobs. A true boom in knowledge-based, high-wage jobs would be great though and I hope that happens sooner rather than later.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Yeah but many of those top 10 metros coke with either insane housing prices (say in DC) and/or crazy traffic with mostly suburb living (ATL). That higher salary will get sucked away quick. Suburbs in really large cities are even more annoying because it's like it takes forever to even go to the city. I used to see dating profiles where people in atl would say please don't message me if you live outside the perimeter.
It's really not quite as horrible as you're making it out to be. Let's not forget that many suburbs are job centers in their own right and everyone isn't going into the city for work, and for those who are, many have the option to take mass transit as opposed to driving. But this list is for small and midsized metros, not large metros.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:06 AM

678 posts, read 800,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's really not quite as horrible as you're making it out to be. Let's not forget that many suburbs are job centers in their own right and everyone isn't going into the city for work, and for those who are, many have the option to take mass transit as opposed to driving. But this list is for small and midsized metros, not large metros.
I guess I was thinking moreso not where you go to work but when you want to explore the city or go for a evening in the city. How easy is this for the average ATL suburbanite person, etc. But you're right... there's a reason people move to these places. If it was too bad I'm sure people would just stop moving to these places but don't see that happening .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: