Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 09:12 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used MegaBus to travel to/from Columbia? I know that it services Raleigh and I believe Fayetteville into Columbia.. I would love for it to run from Charlotte to Columbia and then on to Charlestons as part of a larger haul. It also uses the Sumter St transit center as its station.. Too bad Greyhound couldnt have landed a slot there.....

If it hasnt added other stops.. I can imagine that Greenville, Charleston and possibly Florence may be in the cards at some point along with Myrtle Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:54 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
I have never ridden MegaBus but I have seen it loading and unloading on Sumter St.. Appears to be a younger, nicely dressed crowd also a goodly share of pretty, young woman.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:04 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have never ridden MegaBus but I have seen it loading and unloading on Sumter St.. Appears to be a younger, nicely dressed crowd also a goodly share of pretty, young woman.
I see that you have been quite observant

Old 10-30-2015, 12:59 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

Yeah.. it seems to appeal to millis. I am surprised they dont move their terminal into the middle of USC but it makes good logistical sense to be on Sumter St.. I cant for the life of me understand why Greyhound wanted to move out to Buckner Road. Where is Buckner Road? Exactly.. in the middle of nowhere.. just off of Fairfield Road. The Greyhound terminal when it was on Gervais was fairly busy and often used as a layover stop for folks traveling through town.. I have no doubt that Greyhound probably scaled back their service once they moved out to Buckner.. but maybe the passenger traffic was declining thanks to Megabus thus they got out of dodge...The only benefit for them to be out there is that it is right off of I-20 but other than that ...ziltch..

Old 11-06-2015, 08:02 AM

127 posts, read 138,878 times
I hear good things about MegaBus. I just wish they didn't use the Sumter St. terminal. For the type of crowd that MegaBus attracts, you'd think they'd use a location like the front of the Horseshoe.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:17 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc647 View Post
I hear good things about MegaBus. I just wish they didn't use the Sumter St. terminal. For the type of crowd that MegaBus attracts, you'd think they'd use a location like the front of the Horseshoe.
While I do not know their schedule, the MegaBus I see is at about 2:30pm. The bus terminal area at that hour of the day is a safe as being in church. Also there are connections to public transit so overall seems like the best spot.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:55 PM

125 posts, read 286,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I cant for the life of me understand why Greyhound wanted to move out to Buckner Road. Where is Buckner Road? Exactly.. in the middle of nowhere.. just off of Fairfield Road.
Greyhound was forced to move out due to gentrification of the area, ie white people did not want them there anymore because it kept surrounding property values down.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:55 PM

61 posts, read 79,788 times
Columbia just really needs to build a medium sized transit center where city buses, as well as private buses, can use the center. Greenville has a good example of what Columbia needs.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:52 PM

125 posts, read 286,628 times
Except Greyhound in Greenville isn't welcomed there. Their terminal just like Columbia's was moved out of the downtown area due to gentrification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area