Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 12:34 PM

94 posts, read 95,812 times

Advertisements

Hi, new to the Brookhaven threads. Was reading some back from some dated 2009 thru 2012. There was a not terribly friendly discussion about racism in the area, and an equal amount of complaints about cars parked on lawns. And a high crime rate. But this was a couple of years ago.

It's 2015 now and I'd love to hear from you how these areas have changed, if any. I looking to retire to Lexington, Chapin, Brookhaven, NE columbia or other similar locales. As most homeowners, I want an area with low crime, friendly people, pride of home ownership. I love boating, green lawns, trees. Front porches to say Hi when my neighbors walk by. Antique stores. Sweet tea on a hot day. Walking my dog.

I love what I see in all of these areas. But the truth always comes from those of you who live there. How would you describe your community? What do you like best? Worst? If you're in an area you don't like or feel safe in, where would you move to if you could?

Please refrain from getting into heated debates. They aren't productive. I'm looking for my forever home with like minded neighbors and community members.

Thank you and enjoy your day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:39 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
If I could describe these areas, I would describe them for the most part, as the affluent suburbs of Columbia (Irmo/Lexington/Ballentine). These areas are great and seem to be growing rapidly with new subdivisions, shopping centers, etc.

As far as the race thing goes, I wouldn't say it is rampant. Everyone I have known there seems to get along with everyone else but I will say for the most part, this area is not very diverse when it comes to race, but again, I wouldn't say that neccisarily equates to racism at least here.

I will say, one negative about the Lake Murray area (Irmo/Lexington/Ballentine/ Chapin) is that it can be very snobby. Between the lake homes and the new upper end subdivisions being put in out there, this can be something quite noticeable but I wouldn't let that alone scare you because there are plenty of nice people here as well.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:28 AM

229 posts, read 395,607 times
I live in brookhaven. It's more family oriented and some young professionals. So there are teens and i'm not sure who is doing it but there's always litter in the front entrance. Other than that the streets have cleared up quite a bit because of the HOA, it's a nice little neighborhood but kind of crowded by the newer housing due to the stupid layout of the neighborhood.

Yards are bermuda grass and bermuda takes skill and patience to make it look good. Whereas 90% of homes in Columbia have centipede which doesn't require anything other than water to look good (it grows in crap soil/sand). Therefore yards look terrible because bermuda is pretty picky about it's soil but some do manage to take care of their yard (like me!).

Neighbors are friendly but I don't really see any neighborhood parties going on.

Ivy square is a little pricey IMO cause it's about $100/mo HOA but they take care of your yard for you. Has plenty of trails and lots of dog walkers. It's a smaller but nicer house but they are going for pretty cheap nowadays.

I think lake Carolina is the highlight of the NE and I might try to relocate there since it has extensive walking paths, neighborhood get togethers, little shops, playgrounds, pools, and a very nice community look to it. I just hate the roads to get there and traffic.

I've looked around Irmo and Lexington and if you can't afford to live on the lake I'm not sure of the appeal other than schools compared to the NE. Roadways do seem more congested too.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceisvince View Post
I live in brookhaven. It's more family oriented and some young professionals. So there are teens and i'm not sure who is doing it but there's always litter in the front entrance. Other than that the streets have cleared up quite a bit because of the HOA, it's a nice little neighborhood but kind of crowded by the newer housing due to the stupid layout of the neighborhood.

Yards are bermuda grass and bermuda takes skill and patience to make it look good. Whereas 90% of homes in Columbia have centipede which doesn't require anything other than water to look good (it grows in crap soil/sand). Therefore yards look terrible because bermuda is pretty picky about it's soil but some do manage to take care of their yard (like me!).

Neighbors are friendly but I don't really see any neighborhood parties going on.

Ivy square is a little pricey IMO cause it's about $100/mo HOA but they take care of your yard for you. Has plenty of trails and lots of dog walkers. It's a smaller but nicer house but they are going for pretty cheap nowadays.

I think lake Carolina is the highlight of the NE and I might try to relocate there since it has extensive walking paths, neighborhood get togethers, little shops, playgrounds, pools, and a very nice community look to it. I just hate the roads to get there and traffic.

I've looked around Irmo and Lexington and if you can't afford to live on the lake I'm not sure of the appeal other than schools compared to the NE. Roadways do seem more congested too.
Well that is one thing, Irmo and Lexington tend to be a little bit more pricey than the NE. Even if you are not right on the lake, you are never more than 5 or so miles from it and can enjoy it at marinas, recreation areas, etc.

It really depends on what you are looking for more as to which area you might like better. Both are good and have positives and negatives and my best advice would be to do a pros and cons list for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area