Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 01:18 PM

21 posts, read 65,195 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me. Because this sure doesnt seem to be a good city to move to to make money. Wondering if eventually we will need to move to a larger city in NC and get out of SC, just to survive. Wish I saw the pros of living here, but I really dont. If youre rich, why even retire here? Id rather just go live in a beach house somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 01:25 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
The military personnel or retiree presence in Columbia isn't especially large; it is neither Fayetteville nor Myrtle Beach. Columbia has lots of jobs in government, education, healthcare, insurance, banking, manufacturing, etc.

Are you having trouble finding a job?

Old 12-16-2016, 01:50 PM

My husband is having difficulty with jobs. First position worked him 14 hour days,on a salary, no overtime pay. Current job he is working overtime and they are paying him straight pay, which is illegal, but he cannot do much because he does not have another job set up. I do not assume all jobs in this city are like this by any means, but we are having a quite a string of bad luck here. We just moved here recently. I am due with baby in Feb, not working at the moment, probably wont be for awhile. I suppose any suggestions are appreciated at this point. Sorry if my post seems insulting to columbia but we are both very frustrated.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:00 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
A lot of employers categorize employees as salaried to avoid paying overtime. The Obama administration is seeking to change that, but 21 states sued the Department of Labor and the rule has been blocked from taking effect by the courts.

What type of work does your husband do?

Old 12-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Well he has mainly done manufacturing/industrial, driving (deliveries), etc. But hes thinking about college and know living here he will most likely need to do something completely different.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:18 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,562 times
Honestly, without an education, jobs are difficult to come by most places. Not sure that's specific to Columbia. Plenty of people live well here and he vast majority are neither military nor retired. Sorry you're struggling.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:01 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen78sc View Post
Can someone please tell me. Because this sure doesnt seem to be a good city to move to to make money. Wondering if eventually we will need to move to a larger city in NC and get out of SC, just to survive. Wish I saw the pros of living here, but I really dont. If youre rich, why even retire here? Id rather just go live in a beach house somewhere.
There are not a lot of retirees here and not really that much military. Columbia is a center of government, insurance, education and banking. What is your work background? You certainly don't seem to know Columbia very well.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:03 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Well he has mainly done manufacturing/industrial, driving (deliveries), etc. But hes thinking about college and know living here he will most likely need to do something completely different.
Columbia is an overwhelmingly white collar town; while there are blue collar jobs, they aren't the main factor in the economy. I'd never move anywhere without already having a job.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:09 PM

Well I have a bachelors degree and my husband has college, and could get a degree, but that takes time. So, thanks for saying we are uneducated people. lol But I guess if you feel your city is insulted then you fight back. anyway, thanks to the actual HELPFUL people here. Appreciate it.

As for moving somewhere without having a job, not everyone has the luxury of having a job set up in the place you need to be for very personal and important reasons.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:02 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,846,600 times
Quote:
Well I have a bachelors degree and my husband has college, and could get a degree, but that takes time. So, thanks for saying we are uneducated people. lol But I guess if you feel your city is insulted then you fight back. anyway, thanks to the actual HELPFUL people here. Appreciate it.

As for moving somewhere without having a job, not everyone has the luxury of having a job set up in the place you need to be for very personal and important reasons.
The best thing that y'all could probably do is check press releases from companies moving to Columbia or expanding and apply for those jobs. Local companies are usually better than national companies at treating their employees right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area