Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 04:04 PM

196 posts, read 213,076 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the Columbia real estate market for a while. I've never been a suburban girl, and new construction leaves me cold.

I love the idea of finding an affordable home (<$200K), around 1500 sf, in a neighborhood with potential to grow and develop.

With the recent news of North Main development - and someone in a position to know recently told me there are plans to build a food co-op in the area - so I'm wondering about homes in Eau Claire.

I've driven around, seen bars on the windows of some homes, yet others look like they've been lovingly cared for/renovated.

Of course, the alternative is to find something in my current zip code (29204), or Forest Acres.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 04:19 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post
I've been watching the Columbia real estate market for a while. I've never been a suburban girl, and new construction leaves me cold.

I love the idea of finding an affordable home (<$200K), around 1500 sf, in a neighborhood with potential to grow and develop.

With the recent news of North Main development - and someone in a position to know recently told me there are plans to build a food co-op in the area - so I'm wondering about homes in Eau Claire.

I've driven around, seen bars on the windows of some homes, yet others look like they've been lovingly cared for/renovated.

Of course, the alternative is to find something in my current zip code (29204), or Forest Acres.

I live in the Keenan Terrace section of Eau Claire and have been here for 16 years. There is a house for sale across the street from me, but it's new construction. There are mostly older homes here, though. Some parts of EC are a little rough around the edges, though, so make sure you pick a good spot.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Waccamatt,

Thanks for responding. Can you tell me what areas you consider to be "rough"? I've looked at places near Columbia College Dr and North Main...it's not perfect, but doesn't feel any worse than when I lived in Atlanta's Grant Park (near the zoo) 17 years ago. My roommate back then bought a $70K house, that had a hole in the roof, and kept a shotgun by the front door. Of course, now her house is worth $600K...

Old 06-12-2017, 08:32 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,122 times
Quote:
Waccamatt,

Thanks for responding. Can you tell me what areas you consider to be "rough"? I've looked at places near Columbia College Dr and North Main...it's not perfect, but doesn't feel any worse than when I lived in Atlanta's Grant Park (near the zoo) 17 years ago. My roommate back then bought a $70K house, that had a hole in the roof, and kept a shotgun by the front door. Of course, now her house is worth $600K...
Have you considered the Rosewood area?

Old 06-13-2017, 09:24 AM

746 posts, read 748,711 times
Quote:

I have not heard about plans for a co-op, but I know people have thrown the idea around. Eau Claire is a pretty good neighborhood if you are talking about the boundary of Duke - Main - Summerlea and Sunset. Outside of that area a lot of the homes have been in families for generations. Some elderly people live in those houses, some are rentals that cashflow too well to make it feasible to sell. There are also apartments and public housing that used to be pretty rough.

It is very hard to time real estate markets. Many real estate agents here talk about how the market, and Columbia in general never has huge price increases like Charleston is experiencing. I have heard many say, "Columbia is like a straight line." This, of course can be good or bad. I don't really think any neighborhoods in Columbia will take a turn like Grant Park did in Atlanta.

I have lived all over Columbia with the exception of Irmo and the Town of Lexington area. My favorite places were 1. The Avenues, 2. Arsenal Hill, and 3. Melrose Heights.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:03 PM

611 posts, read 921,124 times
I have a house in Earlewood that I bought in 2005 and have converted to a rental. I love the area, and often wish I still lived down there.

If I were looking today with your budget and wants, I'd focus my search on the Earlewood and Cottontown neighborhoods (29201). Most of the new development seems to be focused on Main St between Elmwood and River, and that area is primed to really explode due to proximity to Main St and Bull St.

When you cross Sunset, you can still get a great value, but the farther north you go, the rougher the neighborhoods will appear.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:32 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Waccamatt,

I would suggest visiting a street you're considering on a Saturday night. Things are often different from block to block.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:31 AM

Thanks for all of the helpful comments! Waccamatt, the Saturday night visit is a great idea. Yes, I have poked around Rosewood, Cottontown, Earlwood, etc. They are all charming neighborhoods. The good news is, I'm not in a great hurry to make a move. But it's fun to think about it.

Really appreciate your feedback. The people on this forum are so helpful.

Happy holiday weekend! :-)

Old 07-03-2017, 08:15 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Interesting reading, folks! I grew up on Hyatt Ave, just a few houses off Main St. This was in the Dark Ages when the old trolley rails could still be seen embedded in the asphalt roadway. The house on Hyatt Ave was sold a couple of decades ago and most of the remaining family ended up in St Andrews/Irmo/Harbison area.

It would be a treat to get back to the area and prowl around a bit. It's been over 12 years since I made it back to "Cola" !

I don't know what it's like to live in a relatively quiet city with more "organic" growth patterns. I lived in Atlanta(north burbs) when it was the fastest growing metro in the universe('80s-2000) and have lived in Austin, TX during its explosion of size/population of the last decade. Columbia metro has certainly grown over the time since I left(USC '79, moved away the next year)...but nothing like the two hot spots I've called home since.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:02 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Interesting reading, folks! I grew up on Hyatt Ave, just a few houses off Main St. This was in the Dark Ages when the old trolley rails could still be seen embedded in the asphalt roadway. The house on Hyatt Ave was sold a couple of decades ago and most of the remaining family ended up in St Andrews/Irmo/Harbison area.

It would be a treat to get back to the area and prowl around a bit. It's been over 12 years since I made it back to "Cola" !

I don't know what it's like to live in a relatively quiet city with more "organic" growth patterns. I lived in Atlanta(north burbs) when it was the fastest growing metro in the universe('80s-2000) and have lived in Austin, TX during its explosion of size/population of the last decade. Columbia metro has certainly grown over the time since I left(USC '79, moved away the next year)...but nothing like the two hot spots I've called home since.

Eau Claire has a lot of potential.. I can see development eventually creeping north to the old Town Hall within the next 10 years and easily on to Columbia College. The problem area in that stretch is behind Hyatt Park Elementary (Latimar Manor) and in the proverbial "cut" off of Johnson Ave and Marsteller Ave behind the former Bi Lo now Harveys.. You have totally abandoned complex and Willow and West that is a huge eyesore that I am surprised is allow to persist. Aside from that.... Windemere Springs, Seminary Ridge, Hyatt Park, Keenan Terrace and Elmwood Park are all within close proximity to this section of North Main and provide solid residential anchors much in the same way that Cottontown and Elmwood Park buttress the burgeoning "North Main" corridor.

Incidentally.. they should change the name of "North Main" to Wilson Blvd for the section above Fairfield Road. 1) Because its hard to brand the street when it extends for 5 - 8 miles beyond its beginnings and 2) Some of the areas beyond Fairfield Road shouldn't be associated with "North Main" because they are more rural/exurban than the more urbanized section of Main Street below Fairfield....It could create two distinct "districts" and help refocus the area.. Also.. the area north of Fairfield is more challenged than the areas south of Fairfield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area