Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 05:35 PM

23 posts, read 24,426 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm an active member of a local tech community here in Columbia. I haven't been here long, but I've noticed a lack if jobs in fields like software development, and the few that do exist, are either (very) senior level, are in something like government or healthcare, or worse, have extremely niche requirements, and I'm curious as to why. Aside, from the city being rather small, I've noticed there aren't too many large companies here. Is there any reason Columbia doesn't attract and companies that could create such jobs? I'm interested in more history about this.

Now, I don't expect Columbia to have as many jobs in tech as other regional cities like ATL or Charlotte, but there are seemingly more jobs in places like Greenville an Charleston. Any explanations on things like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 09:32 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,858,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmp98 View Post
Hello,

I'm an active member of a local tech community here in Columbia. I haven't been here long, but I've noticed a lack if jobs in fields like software development, and the few that do exist, are either (very) senior level, are in something like government or healthcare, or worse, have extremely niche requirements, and I'm curious as to why. Aside, from the city being rather small, I've noticed there aren't too many large companies here. Is there any reason Columbia doesn't attract and companies that could create such jobs? I'm interested in more history about this.

Now, I don't expect Columbia to have as many jobs in tech as other regional cities like ATL or Charlotte, but there are seemingly more jobs in places like Greenville an Charleston. Any explanations on things like that?
Charleston’s on the coast and Greenville is along I-85. Also when the state recruits complanies those are generally the firs two places they show off.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:46 PM

1,156 posts, read 970,484 times
Needs a tourist attraction a large one (something like a man made Beach or a Indoor ski resort)
Needs Rail transit better buses and highway connections to guarantee to move people about faster. (Something like a Columbia Charlotte Intercity rail, Columbia Newberry Columbia Camden Rail. More commuter buses and connecting Buses, Connector highways like an 26-77 connector on the North and Northwest area that would create open land for tech complexes and new neighborhoods.
Technology opportunities (IT jobs, offering tech firms tax breaks to open up shop in the area)
More affordable housing options in the urban cores. (Something like in NYC where adorable housing complexes are built into the luxury Rich complexes and doesn't look room down and gives everyone of all income opportunities to live in downtown or any urban core area in Columbia like Sandhills/Northeast, Harbison, Lexington etc.)

Old 11-21-2017, 06:31 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,401,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmp98 View Post
Hello,

It's most likely because government and healthcare are the largest employers along with education (county and universities) in Columbia. Columbia doesn't have BMW, like the upstate, or Volvo and Boeing in the low country. I think people, for the most part, think state capitals, and immediately think government jobs.

While they do have a large state university it would be nice to have professors spin off discoveries into new biotechnology companies, but the odds of doing that are not that great and it takes lots of time and money. You also need an educated population (either college or trades) for many businesses to want to set up shop in a certain metro area.

I guess one of things going for the midlands, is the lower COL as compared to say Charlotte and Atlanta and even Charleston.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:56 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,209,317 times
Charleston has actively cultivated its tech sector and there are more tech jobs there, but Columbia and Greenville are more or less even in that department. The difference is the tech jobs in both cities are related to existing industries; as noted, Columbia's will be more tied to government and healthcare (as well as insurance) whereas in Greenville, you'll see them tied to healthcare as well as manufacturing.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:34 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,616,895 times
The state and the counties need to do a better job recruiting to this area. With the seasoned workforce in insurance and healthcare I think this could be a big focus.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:55 PM

23 posts, read 24,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It's most likely because government and healthcare are the largest employers along with education (county and universities) in Columbia. Columbia doesn't have BMW, like the upstate, or Volvo and Boeing in the low country. I think people, for the most part, think state capitals, and immediately think government jobs.

While they do have a large state university it would be nice to have professors spin off discoveries into new biotechnology companies, but the odds of doing that are not that great and it takes lots of time and money. You also need an educated population (either college or trades) for many businesses to want to set up shop in a certain metro area.

I guess one of things going for the midlands, is the lower COL as compared to say Charlotte and Atlanta and even Charleston.
Is the COL even that low compared to ATL? I could probably find similar COL ares in the metro-Atlanta area, and while commute would be bad, it would come with more oppurtunities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area