Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 12:28 PM

1,124 posts, read 932,245 times

Advertisements

If the high rises near USC and the one near Benedict and Palmetto Heath Richland, etc we’re all closer to the downtown core, would Columbia look completely different? I think it would. I feel the city would look a lot bigger than it is. A smaller, but not much, scale Richmond. Thoughts? It would make the Metro look it’s size imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:08 PM

1,155 posts, read 964,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
If the high rises near USC and the one near Benedict and Palmetto Heath Richland, etc we’re all closer to the downtown core, would Columbia look completely different? I think it would. I feel the city would look a lot bigger than it is. A smaller, but not much, scale Richmond. Thoughts? It would make the Metro look it’s size imo.
The issue we have is too many parking lots. Too many parking craters in Downtown. Prime for high rises

Old 11-30-2018, 02:52 AM

757 posts, read 572,630 times
Quote:
It might make a slight difference, but honestly I doubt it would make a huge difference. Skylines are generally either homogeneous in height and long (e.g. Houston) or varied in height and tight (e.g. Seattle). It's hard to do both because then you end up with something like New York, where buildings are generally individually indistinguishable. Columbia would probably be better served following the first model as there is not much reason to build a few very tall towers. By that logic, downtown should focus on extending the skyline up Main Street and maybe adding a few smaller buildings on neighbouring streets to fill in some of the gaps between developments.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,373,225 times
Quote:
I think the current skyline already makes the city look bigger than it is.

I realize downtown Durham just got a brand new 27-story office and residential tower, but even with that, if I took a picture of downtown Durham (population 267,743) and downtown Columbia (population 133,114) right now and asked someone who has never been to either, which city was bigger, I would bet most would say Columbia, which is half the size of Durham!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,590,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think the current skyline already makes the city look bigger than it is.

I realize downtown Durham just got a brand new 27-story office and residential tower, but even with that, if I took a picture of downtown Durham (population 267,743) and downtown Columbia (population 133,114) right now and asked someone who has never been to either, which city was bigger, I would bet most would say Columbia, which is half the size of Durham!
You can't compare city population in SC with NC as NC has easy annexation laws. Durham annexed the entire county. Columbia is much larger.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:42 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,967,671 times
Columbia’s metro area is way larger. Also NCs annexation laws were reformed by republicans around 2010. They are similar to SCs now. But the cities did benefit from years of laxed annexation in the past!

Old 12-07-2018, 12:29 PM

8,265 posts, read 13,417,186 times
Columbia has had a quite a few highrises that were proposed but never built.. Both the Capital Center at Main@ Gervais and the tower at Main at Richland were both supposed to have twin towers.. You can look at their sites where the courtyards are to see where the base of those towers was going to sit. In the case of the Cap Center it was going to be parallel to Main Street and thus perpendicular to the current tower not sure how that would look today. The one at Main and Richland was to be identical and sit at Calhoun and Richland.

Even Benedict College's Mather Hall.. The 1970s tower was going to have four similar tower buildings on main block of the campus.. one next to the gym along Laurel Street- a track is there now and the other of the existing parking lot near Oak and Taylor ( a smaller dorm is there now)....and the other across from the main Adm building on the park-plaza that is there now.. . I remember seeing that in a publication years ago that stated it as their vision as part of a Master Plan from the late 60s.. It has long been shelved. At the time the neighborhood around the school was one of the prominent African American communities thus they likely did not want any town and gown issues and were looking up rather than out. After the 60s the neighborhood declined significantly which allowed the school to expand outward and buy up many vacant or dilapidated blocks and expand the main campus footprint. Waverly is on the rebound today.

From my understand Both Benedict and Allen used to own much of the land between Laurel St and the Drew Wellness Center specifically around Allen Benedict Court public housing complex but sold it off to the feds in the 40s.. when those complexes were built hence why they are named as such...It used to house their athletic fields. I would love to be able to verify that urban lore....

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-07-2018 at 12:38 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 07:57 AM

1,180 posts, read 988,572 times
I think if the Bank of America building were a little closer in, it would make a difference. Third tallest in the city I believe. Columbia has a dang good skyline for its size. Coming down Jarvis Klapman, it looks very dense.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:03 PM

518 posts, read 439,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
I think if the Bank of America building were a little closer in, it would make a difference. Third tallest in the city I believe. Columbia has a dang good skyline for its size. Coming down Jarvis Klapman, it looks very dense.
Talking about the Bank of America Plaza at 1901 Main? Bank of America already moved out.

Now we need another marque name for the building.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:39 PM

8,265 posts, read 13,417,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Talking about the Bank of America Plaza at 1901 Main? Bank of America already moved out.

Now we need another marque name for the building.

Yeah it looks like they consolidated their offices at the Gervais at Sumter which is a much older building and less attractive than the 1901 Main Street location.. Maybe because the Gervais St location in closer to the action.. i.e the State House and the center of town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area