Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 01:49 PM

18 posts, read 64,947 times

Advertisements

Hi, does anyone have any insider info on this building? I've read that they don't allow pets and that the building controls the A/C and it gets very hot in March/April inside the units before they turn the air on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugabooga View Post
Hi, does anyone have any insider info on this building? I've read that they don't allow pets and that the building controls the A/C and it gets very hot in March/April inside the units before they turn the air on.
To rent or to buy? I looked at a unit in there when I first graduated from college. The units were around $70k then 1995 but I recall the HOA fees being very high like maybe like $500 ? My realtor discouraged me from buying because it was trending toward rental and student housing. With all the luxury student housing in the city now I can't imagine that it bodes well for it. The other issue was something about how the building had structural problems. Not that it would fall down but it was an ongoing maintenance challenge thus the high regime.

At any rate if you are only renting and like the location and the rent I would say go for it . I like the views and has a chance to view one of the penthouses. The view of Williams Brice and the outdoor patio was beautiful. The decor of the unit was strait out of The Jeffersons (i.e. 1970s)

Good luck

Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM

77 posts, read 78,757 times
Had a friend who lived there, I considered buying one as well. The high HOA discouraged me. The interior is also very dated, def consider remodeling if you purchase. From the investment perspective I just couldn't justify throwing away $450 a month for the HOA.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 AM

18 posts, read 64,947 times
Thank you both for the information. The HOA is high. I like the idea of living in a high-rise, like I did for many years in NYC. I'm not looking to purchase for quite some time, as it is contingent on my inheritance and that could be several years away. I want to do plenty of research first. Right now where I live is far from jobs so I need to move closer to jobs. I'm in hospitality.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:04 PM

518 posts, read 436,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock1015 View Post
Had a friend who lived there, I considered buying one as well. The high HOA discouraged me. The interior is also very dated, def consider remodeling if you purchase. From the investment perspective I just couldn't justify throwing away $450 a month for the HOA.
Holy crap, didn't realize that was per month. In Lake Carolina, it is like $600 a year, and I consider that a lot.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:44 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugabooga View Post
If it is a condo building and under owner control, they (the owners) can change this. If still under control of the developer, then they (the developer) call the shots.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
I looked into buying there a number of years ago, but I didn't because the units didn't have washer/dryer connections. That was over 30 years ago, so it's been condo at least that long.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:08 AM

The condos are very popular amongst foreign exchange students, usually due to the proximity to campus. Allowing them to not have a car here. Otherwise I probably would avoid purchasing one as an investment.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:44 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
There are very few condo buildings in Columbia that I would actually buy a unit. There are some mid rises out on forest drive and other down Senate St and in Five Points that are popular either among students or senior citizens there doesnt seem to be an in between except maybe in the new building at South Main and Blossom and the building across from Finlay, which may be a good investment, if the park is redeveloped.

I can't see buying one in Columbia given the availability of nice single family homes intown for the same price once you factor in the HOA/Regime. I looked at a couple of properties out Forest Drive and I thought I was on an episode of the Golden Girls complete with Blanche and Dorothy sitting in the lobby looking in horror that a 20 something was looking in their building...again this was in the 90s and I doubt it's changed much

Old 01-15-2019, 08:12 AM

Interesting, I've been looking at investing in Columbia more. I live in Charlotte but the margins are way better in Columbia. Any area suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area