Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 04:54 PM

7 posts, read 22,589 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Columbia, SC and will be working at the Columbia Airport. I have been doing research online about the city and housing and it seems like housing is very affordable. Since I am not sure how long my company will need me in Columbia, I am looking to rent. I have contacted 5 property management companies about 10 days ago and have not received a response from any of them. I know things are slower in the south but is there that much of a demand for housing that companies just don't care about potential customers?

Anyway, I have read that the area around the airport is not the greatest, but what areas are nice in that close to the airport that are within a 15 minute or so commute? I am a single female and prefer a garage, decent neighborhood, away from the college student areas and huge apartment complexes but maybe close to some shopping and easy access to the highways. Price range $800-975 for a 2-3 bedroom. Any advise on where to look and where to avoid? I will be up there for work and will just have a weekend or so to find somewhere to live.

Thank you for any and all advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:04 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
No surprise about the property management companies. You'll probably do better on your own anyway for rentals. Check www.Columbia.Craigslist.com (broken link) or The State | Homepage. You can find plenty of decent stuff your range within 15 minutes of the Airport.

Would you rather be in a little quieter suburban area or prefer more of the downtown scene?

Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 PM

7 posts, read 22,589 times
I have tried both of those sites and it seems like hundreds of others, thanks. I am looking for a quieter suburban area...

Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
You can also try REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale as our local version also has a rental search. When you look on craigslist do a search the areas of West Columbia, SC Rentals, Irmo, SC Rentals, and SE Columbia Rentals, NE Columbia Rentals. SE Columbia and West Columbia will be more convenient for your commute.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:14 AM

7 posts, read 59,143 times
Im partial To Lexington. The drive from there wouldnt be bad.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:22 AM

221 posts, read 1,032,652 times
I'm in a place now called Rivergate, on the Broad near Greystone and Broad River Rd. Its fairly quiet, and the "gated" neighborhood seems to present at least some sense of security. I put it in quotes because the front gates have been broken (stuck open) for the last 2 months or so. I think management has just given up on fixing them. Not sure if they're going to put in a new gate system or what. Anyway, they have pretty nice 2 BR places, and garages you can rent for an extra fee. There seem to be quite a few single females in the complex. Its dog friendly too (so there's lots of dog poo on the ground). My wife drives to Exit 119 on I-26 every day for work in about 15 or 20 mins depending on Traffic. The Airport is Exit 115, so you could probably make it there in 15 mins fairly easily.

Regardless of the place, if you're looking for a more quiet place, get a unit on the top floor. Rivergate claims to have cement floors so the sound doesn't transfer well, but thats just a nice line from somebody trying to sell the apartment. We hear the folks above us way too often (they've got 3 dogs which sound like elephants to me).

Old 05-27-2008, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,440 times
Default wellspring apartments

my wife and i stay in wellsprings apartments and we love it here. its located on harbison blvd and we pay 806.00 for a 2bd 2bth 1000 sq ft. its very quite. the most noise you'll hear will come from the birds and ducks near the pond. the only thing is that there is no garage bu there are a couple of county sheriff's and highway troopers who live throughtout the complex. also the apartments are about a 2 minutes from the higway i-26 exit 103 i believe. but from here you can get to the airport between 10-15minutes. if you have any more questions feel free to ask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area