Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 08:57 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...286674905.html

First off.. I had no idea that Lexington County has 15 municipalities in it. I guess Richland should be thankful. Additionally, it has several "large" municipalities in Irmo, Cayce, West Columbia and Lexington. Lexington is largest on paper but the other are not that much smaller than it vs Columbia and the towns in Richland County.

At any rate, because of the rapid growth of the County.. the allocation of resources is becoming much more intense with the County trying to control and manage growth and the towns and the cities wanting more of it in order to be able to annex and access additional revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 09:52 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

First off.. I had no idea that Lexington County has 15 municipalities in it. I guess Richland should be thankful. Additionally, it has several "large" municipalities in Irmo, Cayce, West Columbia and Lexington. Lexington is largest on paper but the other are not that much smaller than it vs Columbia and the towns in Richland County.

At any rate, because of the rapid growth of the County.. the allocation of resources is becoming much more intense with the County trying to control and manage growth and the towns and the cities wanting more of it in order to be able to annex and access additional revenue.
Lexington County is a republican stronghold so this make sense they don't want to do anything to help cities.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:49 PM

33 posts, read 32,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

First off.. I had no idea that Lexington County has 15 municipalities in it.:
It doesn't help that a few of these municipalities don't even exist as their own ZIP code, such as Springfield, South Congaree, Pine Ridge, and Summit.

Also, its wild that Irmo is complaining about the money. As per Lex county GIS, they maybe have one mile of roadways that they maintain within Lexington County.

Old 03-16-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotty2249 View Post
It doesn't help that a few of these municipalities don't even exist as their own ZIP code, such as Springfield, South Congaree, Pine Ridge, and Summit.

Also, its wild that Irmo is complaining about the money. As per Lex county GIS, they maybe have one mile of roadways that they maintain within Lexington County.
Interesting... probably just standing in solidarity with the other municipalities against the County... Strength in numbers. Its funny that many of these towns/cities are in competition with one another over land/residents/utility service areas creating annexation war of sorts.. especially among Cayce, West Columbia and Lexington as they compete for largest city in the County. I guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend scenario...LOL

Old 03-16-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Lexington County is a republican stronghold so this make sense they don't want to do anything to help cities.
I would think that most of these cities and towns are mostly republican also no? Maybe West Columbia, Cayce and possibly Irmo may have a greater mix but I havent looked to verify.. Irmo used to be incorporated in Richland County but decamped for Lexington County after Columbia annexed portions of Columbiana Center...though portions of Irmo are still in Richland County. Its recognized as being incorporated in Lexington County.

It would be interesting if these towns and cities dont push to have the state to loosen the annexation laws as it could certainly benefit them..though the County and other rural areas may resist it legislatively.

I know it will never ever ever ever ...ever ever happen. But if West Columbia, Cayce, Springdale all merged and annexed most of the suburbs inside of I-26...I would venture to guess that it would be a city in upwards of 40k-50k which is bigger than Sumter.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:34 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
One issue to consider regarding incorporation is unincorporated places often times have scant emergency services, this was an issue some years ago in northeast Richland City, which had a population of 75K within that unincorporated area. Resistance to incorporation usually revolves around people not wanting higher taxes to pay for essential services. Often times this translates to higher insurance rates.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
One issue to consider regarding incorporation is unincorporated places often times have scant emergency services, this was an issue some years ago in northeast Richland City, which had a population of 75K within that unincorporated area. Resistance to incorporation usually revolves around people not wanting higher taxes to pay for essential services. Often times this translates to higher insurance rates.
Right... most people dont want higher taxes but most people do want top notch public services...Often times when I see annexation on the Columbia City Council Agenda under the reasons is public services.. Likely water service/lower rate or potentially public safety as you described.

I still think that consolidating Richland County and City of Columbia would be ideal though I suspect that Forest Acres, Blythewood and a sliver of Irmo would be against it. At a minimum. Police and the Sheriff should consolidate along with the Planning, Zoning, and Building Dept. I believe there is a Columbia-Richland shared fire service in parts of the County already.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:36 AM

244 posts, read 200,417 times
Did that ”Birch County” (Ballentine, Irmo, Chapin) thing ever gain any traction?

It would make sense, as much of that area is totally cut off from Lexington County by Lake Murray, and the part that is in Richland County is distant both geographically and culturally from the rest of the county.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
Did that ”Birch County” (Ballentine, Irmo, Chapin) thing ever gain any traction?

It would make sense, as much of that area is totally cut off from Lexington County by Lake Murray, and the part that is in Richland County is distant both geographically and culturally from the rest of the county.
It didtnt happen but not sure if it was because the residents in the affected areas didnt want to or hit the threshold/support level to proceed. OR if Richland County resisted it. Both things I imagine both thinks may have happened for it to have not happened.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:00 AM

More news from Lexington County

https://www.yahoo.com/news/feud-over...ycsrp_catchall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area