Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 04:30 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,145 times

Advertisements

I've left NE Cola and am now working in the downtown area. I've been wanting to give running a try for a while and thought this would be the ideal time (well, after the holidays and everything has settled down), with lots of opportunities and options and scenery to keep me motivated/interested. Plus I think there's a park near by which may have a trail along the river, or something.

I'm on Gervais down by the bridge. Does anyone run near here that could offer some suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
I've left NE Cola and am now working in the downtown area. I've been wanting to give running a try for a while and thought this would be the ideal time (well, after the holidays and everything has settled down), with lots of opportunities and options and scenery to keep me motivated/interested. Plus I think there's a park near by which may have a trail along the river, or something.

I'm on Gervais down by the bridge. Does anyone run near here that could offer some suggestions?
While I don't live by the river as you do, there are riverwalks along both sides of the river (W. Columbia & Columbia side) that would make it easy for you to start your running. Riverfront Park can be accessed from Huger St., if you turn left past Hampton St. at the last light before I-126 coming from the south (there is a sign out front). I've taken the dogs there a couple times, the trail goes along the Conagree & the canal that helps provide water for the city. You also can see the spillway which is pretty neat, although it kind of freaked the dogs out so the last time I went the other way! If you go across the river on Gervais to the W. Cola side, there is also a riverwalk there as well, I've only been on it once, but it is pretty nice too. Either choice would be fine for running, biking, or walking.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:08 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,145 times
Sorry for the confusion - I still live in Sumter, I'm just working down by the river (in the State Museum building). I'll check out Riverfront park, I think that's the one I had heard of, and is probably easiest to get to from here. Thanks!

And it doesn't necessarilly have to be a park or trail, if anyone knows of good places/routes around here to run.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,771 times
You could run across the bridge then hit the mill town or some of the roads in Alphabet city (aka The Avenues). I need to get my bike out of the basement and start riding in that area. There's enough road so that you can vary your routine.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 AM

658 posts, read 1,893,890 times
you can always run thru USC's campus and look at all the 'scenery'. I ran in Shandon while living there, and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area