Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:52 PM

28 posts, read 86,991 times

Advertisements

My (retired) cousin and his wife are considering relocating to the Columbia area, and they're trying to determine which areas would be best for them. Recently, they have been seriously considering Irmo; someone else also recommended the Lexington area. The most important factors for them are housing costs and traffic. Which of the two would have a more affordable cost of living? Also, does one of them have noticeably more traffic than the other? And which one is more convenient to amenities?
Also, if you'd like to recommend another area in Columbia which you like better than either Irmo or Lexington, I'd certainly like to hear from you. Any comments at all will be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 12:07 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
Are they going to be commuting to work anywhere or are they retired?

Old 07-20-2008, 02:24 PM

They are retired. He retired about a year ago.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:12 PM

What types of interests do they have? Do they want to be near the lake, shopping, museums, restaurants, etc?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:08 PM

I just called them for clarification. He told me that they had decided that both Irmo and Lexington were too far from the city. They're now interested in living closer to Columbia per se, and they're mainly interested in the eastern and/or southeastern sections of the area (within the "loop").

Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,666 times
Save for homes on the lake, I think that homes in Lexington will hold their value better than homes in Irmo over the long term. The development in Lexington just seems to be of better quality.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottW View Post
I just called them for clarification. He told me that they had decided that both Irmo and Lexington were too far from the city. They're now interested in living closer to Columbia per se, and they're mainly interested in the eastern and/or southeastern sections of the area (within the "loop").
Elliott, if I were about to retire I would look at the Shandon area, which is very close to everything, but still relatively quiet. It is on the southeast side of downtown, not far from Five Points and adjacent to the Devine Street corridor, which has a lot of nice restaurants, boutiques, etc. If they want to be a little further out then they could look at Forest Acres, which is also convenient to a lot of parts of town. I personally love Shandon because it is a great neighborhood for walking or biking and is close to everything. I have photos of various neighborhoods on my website, which is linked in my profile.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Elliott, if I were about to retire I would look at the Shandon area, which is very close to everything, but still relatively quiet. It is on the southeast side of downtown, not far from Five Points and adjacent to the Devine Street corridor, which has a lot of nice restaurants, boutiques, etc. If they want to be a little further out then they could look at Forest Acres, which is also convenient to a lot of parts of town. I personally love Shandon because it is a great neighborhood for walking or biking and is close to everything. I have photos of various neighborhoods on my website, which is linked in my profile.
LOL. IMO the nice thing about being retired is that you don't need to live near work. If I were retired I'd sell my home in Shandon, buy a really nice place in a small college town like Newberry or Clinton and pocket the difference. To each his own. LOL.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
LOL. IMO the nice thing about being retired is that you don't need to live near work. If I were retired I'd sell my home in Shandon, buy a really nice place in a small college town like Newberry or Clinton and pocket the difference. To each his own. LOL.
LOL, exactly. I would last exactly 3 hours in the country before the quiet drove me crazy.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the recommendations! That info is quite helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area