Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 AM

470 posts, read 1,841,819 times

Advertisements

first of all, i just want to state that i'm not trying to start a argument or anything negative, just trying to satisfy my husband's curiosity.

so, a little background: my family and i moved down here in august from MA. we're a former military couple & between the two of us, we've moved around extensively. now that we're both out and settled (in the area where my husband grew up), we've noticed something peculiar: there are A LOT of red sox fans here in SC. so this is my husband's question: "are there really that many sox fans down here? or is it the "in" logo to wear these days?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 PM

272 posts, read 730,377 times
Some of us haven't forgotten when the Babe played for them back in the day.

One thing that may be a clue or may be irrelevant, team merchandise, particularly clothing, become the symbols of gangs sometimes temporarily, sometimes longer-term.

I don't know the current gang affiliation of the Red Sox clothing (certainly not on the club's part), but I suspect it may be the Bloods. Look around and see who has their caps on sideways, and to which side. If there's a consistency as to which side, you've found an opportunistic gang symbol.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Gangs aside, there are a lot of New England natives living in Columbia, I work with a couple. I'd like to think the Red Sox paraphernalia is related to transplants mostly.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:22 AM

thanks, matt. i think so, too. the folks we saw sporting their gear didn't appear to be associated with any gangs. i know that there are a few transplants here from NE, i guess we just didn't realize that there are more than we had originally thought.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechappells View Post
thanks, matt. i think so, too. the folks we saw sporting their gear didn't appear to be associated with any gangs. i know that there are a few transplants here from NE, i guess we just didn't realize that there are more than we had originally thought.
The Greenville Drive is a minor league team for the Red Sox, so that could exlain some of it as well. There is great deal of Red Sox merchandise sold in the Drive's team store at Fluor Field, as well as throughout the region.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 AM

well, that's good to know that i don't have to bug my family in NE to send down some bo-sox gear

Old 01-13-2009, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 11,131 times
We Moved Here from Woburn Ma in 05

Old 01-17-2009, 04:52 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
The Greenville Drive is a minor league team for the Red Sox, so that could exlain some of it as well. There is great deal of Red Sox merchandise sold in the Drive's team store at Fluor Field, as well as throughout the region.
That is true, and don't forget that the Drive franchise (fka "the Bombers") actually left Columbia for a much greener pasture in the Upstate. Perhaps some of the Red Sox merchandise appeal is leftover from those years when a Red Sox affiliate was in town? Additionally, I would say from observation that it seems plausible to assume merchandise from any recent World Series winning team sells quite well during and after the championship. The same applies to successful College teams, apparently. As Waccamatt mentioned above, lots of New England transplants live in our larger cities, Columbia and Greenville, so it is not surprising to see fans wearing the gear when the team performs well. Regardless of the exact reason(s), there are also many new fans in the Upstate (myself included), since the arrival of our fantastic local franchise, the Greenville Drive. Watching the good old game played on that mini replica of Fenway Park is nothing short of completely satisfying. It was rated the Ballpark of the Year in 2006.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:59 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Hey, I work for the Drive. The Bombers were a NY Mets affailiate when they were in Columbia and then switched over the Red Sox when they moved to Greenville.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:02 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Thanks for that information. I didn't realize the MLB affiliation had changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area