Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 11,021 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving down to the Columbia area in May for grad school and am currently looking for affordable apartments in a safe neighborhood not too far from USC's campus. I found an apartment that seems pretty nice at Lexington Station and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this apartment complex or if it is a decent neighborhood. Any other suggestions about apartments in the area welcome as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,940 times
I would not recommend it. I lived there for 2 years. Last year they decided to rent apartments to college students. There was extreme cursing, partying and drug use. The neighborhood is not safe. I've called the police on several occasions. The water bill is high. They have been trying to fix it for over a year. It takes a while for maintenance to make repairs when needed. The complex had been sold 4 times while I lived there. They have a gym that use to remain open for 24 hours. The gym was vandalized and the only time you can use it is during the office hours.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Krissie, what price range and size apartment are you looking for?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 AM

Default Thanks for the help/ rent price range

Thanks for the input from both of you! I really appreciate any help I can get since I am not familiar with the area. I am looking at trying to stay $600 or less per month for rent. I have been looking at both 1 and 2 bedroom apartments...I'm really pretty flexible, just hoping for a place with washer/dryer hookups in the apartment.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,837 times
I have found that you get what you pay for around here. You can live for cheap far away from anything, especially USC. You can live cheap near USC, but you have to put up with students.

That said, you can do better than live in any St Andrews complex. They are farther away from USC than you might think, and have students from other colleges.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
I have found that you get what you pay for around here. You can live for cheap far away from anything, especially USC. You can live cheap near USC, but you have to put up with students.

That said, you can do better than live in any St Andrews complex. They are farther away from USC than you might think, and have students from other colleges.
Thanks. I really don't mind being outside of Columbia a bit. I would like to be on the south side of town if I go outside of town now that I have found out my internship is going to be at Lexington Mental Health and also down in Swansea. I'm going to be a grad student so somewhere between the internship and USC would be ideal.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:31 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,837 times
Then Cayce is for you. Heck, you could even buy a house there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area