Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,685 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm going to be a grad student at USC this Fall and I'm looking for a one bedroom one bathroom apartment close to campus. I'd prefer a place that is furnished. I dont plan on staying there for longer than the time it takes to finish my masters. I'm originally from Maryland and don't have the luxury to go to SC anything before early August - due to work and school. Anyways, are there any places you guys would really suggest. I'm not looking to spend $1000 for rent every month. But somewhere between $600-800 would be in the right price range.

One of my bigger questions is that I looked at the Lofts and I read reviews and the reviews are scaring me. I'm not sure if it's just people who are whiny or what the deal is. But they do offer furnished apartments - which is appealing.

Anyways - please let me know! I need as much help as I can possibly get with this. Oh yeah, and I HATE bugs. I can learn to deal with small places and almost anything else, but I can't deal with bugs (another thing that I read that scared me about the lofts). Thanks guys!

BTW - I've seen the other threads that have info on apartment buildings, but I want updated information and even a list of apartment buildings to look into would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToDance View Post

Anyways - please let me know! I need as much help as I can possibly get with this. Oh yeah, and I HATE bugs. I can learn to deal with small places and almost anything else, but I can't deal with bugs (another thing that I read that scared me about the lofts). Thanks guys!

BTW - I've seen the other threads that have info on apartment buildings, but I want updated information and even a list of apartment buildings to look into would be great!
I haven't lived in an apartment here in Columbia as we bought a house upon moving here, but if you really hate bugs that much, you're going to have a hard time. I spray around our house a few times a year inside & out w/orkin bug spray, it does a good job, but even at that, from time to time we've found a bug or two inside. I would imagine in an apartment you're going to have it even harder b/c you can't control your neighbors. I honestly think another thing that helps us is that we have a few gecko's that live in the bushes/plants around our house, and think they really help to control the bugs around our house.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:33 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,328 times
Hi. I live in an apartment and I have been lucky enough to never encounter any bugs in it. They spray once a week at my complex, so that helps. I live in Northeast Columbia. There are plenty of new, affordable apts in the NE. It takes me about 20 to 25 minutes to drive to the downtown area, which I like. However, you may be looking for something a little closer. You should try the Vista Commons.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:46 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,636 times
The solution to bugs is to caulk all the cracks and insulate around all the openings in your walls, floors and ceilings. A few tubes of caulk at $0.99, some Great Stuff foam GREAT STUFFâ„¢ behind the outlets and wherever pipes and wires make holes through the walls--check light fixtures and under the sink--will stop bugs and save you money on your heating/cooling bills. Renters don't typically do any improvements because they don't see a economic benefit to it.

I rent, and when I first moved in there were many wayward "palmetto bugs" in my apartment. Post weatherizing, my electric bills are 20% lower, and I see an occasional spider starving to death. The materials paid for themselves in three months.

You should search the threads for lots more suggestions for grad student housing... Or just look through my posts.

Last edited by Intergalactic; 04-23-2009 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,685 times
That's great advice to save money and keep bugs out!

Anyone have any info on Claire Towers? After looking at a few apartment buildings - this place looks the best for the low price. I saw an older thread on this place, but no one really gave out specs or anything. Any information additional information from insiders would be great!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:11 AM

Clair Tower is bit run down, perfect for grad students. Small apartments, their model has grimy carpets, ugly windows, ancient oven and fixtures, a hundred layers of paint and a funky odor. The "grounds" outside the building look ghetto. Sometimes the water gets cut off for way too long. Make sure you ask if there is any AC (very important). Parking is extra.

On the other hand; walk to anywhere on campus. If I'm not mistaken they allow cats. For the smells, Febreze works.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,539 times
What about the new complex they're building on the corner of Assembly & Whaley? It looks like they should be complete by Fall. That's not far of a walk, is it? Or by bicycle?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
What about the new complex they're building on the corner of Assembly & Whaley? It looks like they should be complete by Fall. That's not far of a walk, is it? Or by bicycle?
My friend checked by there for an apartment this fall and omg it's amazing. Parking for each level of the apartment, three courtyards, internet wifi throughout the building, a golf course, a dog walk, etc etc. However, it's hella expensive. Like....I think a studio is $750 or something. No utlities included.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
... a golf course,.....
Clarify please.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:52 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
Clarify please.
It won't be a golf course, it will be like a putting green, lol.

aspyre at assembly station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area